Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#872049 - 12/13/07 02:05 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: JollyGilmore
Quote:
WE THE PEOPLE don't print the money the federal reserves using to spend recklessly

I wasn't aware the Federal Reserve was recklessly spending money. In fact, they turn over about $22 billion in excess revenue to the US Treasury every year

It's OUR money, and they're giving it back to "us"? Plus, excess revenue? When they create about $7 billion of new money a week on average, what's $20 billion?

You do know the federal reserve is a private company right? That our beloved government who cares so deeply about us outsourced money creation and management so they can lend as much money as they want to the government for a mere 10%. It's devalued right out of the gate, just like when you drive a new car off the lot.

If you get a chance, read this: I Want the World, Plus 5%

It's a little simplistic, but you get the idea...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#872064 - 12/13/07 02:36 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! FBH
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
As a former Fed employee, I'm fully aware of what type of quasi-government organization they are. They don't print money "willy-nilly" as you imply, that is done by the US Treasury Department's Bureau of Engraving and Printing (better know as the US Mint). The Federal Reserve is charged with the distribution of the new money based on needs and requests from US and foreign banks. The majority of new money printed is to replace old bills taken out of circulation, the rest is distributed based on orders received. there is no "release" of money as you implied.

Now, if you are talking about the Federal Reserve's use of overnight and long-term loans via the "discount window," that is a seperate conversation. However, that uses no cash between the lenders and borrowers.

The Federal Reserve makes the majority of its revenue via US Treasury bond/note sales, and is required by law to turn over excess revenue. They do not have a license to print and distribute money, as you implied.

Return to Top
#872106 - 12/13/07 03:06 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! HappyGilmore
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen
When they create about $7 billion of new money a week on average...

What percentage rate is that, and how does it compare to the percentage rate of growth of the US economy?

Quote:
If you get a chance, read this: I Want the World, Plus 5%

I cannot believe that a professional in the banking industry would post this tripe. Show me where the banking industry earns a 42% return on capital, by the way. Good grief.

Return to Top
#872129 - 12/13/07 03:16 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! Jokerman
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: FBH
Hmmm, let me see...Have I received the bill? The bill...Oh yes, here it is. It's called the ridiculous budget deficit this country is running!!! WE THE PEOPLE don't print the money the federal reserve and our government uses to spend recklessly, but when the bill comes due, expect our leaders to throw the constitution back in our faces by saying WE THE PEOPLE have to pay this back - through increased taxes on income that is already being devalued through inflationary money policy!

It's funny, you'll be squeezed from both sides: increased taxes to pay for our leader's reckless spending habits, and increased prices for everything due to inflation.

The fact the people aren't rioting in the streets over this astounds me! But then again, that might interrupt American Idol.

Taken directly from the Ron Mexico "When Proven Wrong Argue something else" Book of debate.

Return to Top
#872132 - 12/13/07 03:18 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! The Incredible ComplyGuy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
Income is on the rise, meanwhile our net worth erodes in both the stock market and the real estate market.

That's odd - since 2002 the net worth of US households has increased 44.5%. Sounds like someone made some bad picks.

Well my net worth is up over 2002 as well, but the last couple years have not been stellar. Also, 44.5% in 5 years is a 7.6% annualized growth rate, considering incomes are up considerably (including mine) I don't consider 7.6% per year anything to get excited about. If one's home even increased 4% per year in value, and you had 33% equity in it, that portion alone would be up 12%.

Come on; look around at what is average in today's world. Most households have multiple cars, multiple tv's, cell phones, PDA's, Ipods, and how many computers.

Personal wealth is much higher today than it was at any previous time in history. The fact that housing prices are declining now is a short term blip in an overall housing market that has increaesd 10 fold in a decade.

Can you see any good in anything or is everything always bleak?

Return to Top
#872255 - 12/13/07 04:28 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! straw
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
I don't know where to start on the last three posts, except that the first stage is denial...

Straw - I agree. Most people have more "stuff." But is personal wealth higher? Most people pay for that "stuff" with debt. The exchange debt for goods, and often, those goods are worth less than the amount of debt issued for them over time. Sometimes I wonder how much better off we really are. I spend 10 hours a day on average working in a cubicle regurgitating banking law and regulatory findings. I'd much rather be doing something outside...But I've issued debt in the past I have to repay.

As for my personal life view, I'm pretty happy, despite what I post here. I think I'm pretty happy because I make it a priority to remove debt from my life. I don't carry a balance on credit cards, I don't live beyond my means, when my friends were going out buying McMansions for a half million or more, I bought a modest house and invested in education. My house will be paid off in a couple years, whereas my friends in their gigantic homes full of cheap plastic [censored] from Walmart, spend to keep up with their neighbors.

I, on the other hand enjoy the fruits of my labor. I travel and have experiences with friends and family that enrich me personally and spiritually. My ramblings about inflation, debt, and the financial system are my own personal views based on what I've read and the opinions I've formed as a result. I certainly don't believe the politicians the country has elected has my best interest in mind in whatever they do. You don't have to agree with me, but until I'm banned from the forums, you'll have to suffer my rants.

The capitalist system has poverty built into it. There will always be poor people, because those that are better in the their business and finances will always have more than those who do not. You can't have winners without losers in Capitalism, and I'm not anti-capitalism, because I have the tools to win...even if I don't always win.

Flame on...

Return to Top
#872260 - 12/13/07 04:31 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! FBH
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
No flaming; I believe that was well stated.

Congrats to you for staying above the fray.

Return to Top
#872290 - 12/13/07 04:54 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
FBH, debt is paid off with payments. If I buy a car two years ago, I pay two years worth of Principle. Seriously, are you so much worse off today then yesterday? If so, I feel for you. Because most Amercians and I are not.

Return to Top
#872293 - 12/13/07 04:55 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:
The capitalist system has poverty built into it. There will always be poor people, because those that are better in the their business and finances will always have more than those who do not. You can't have winners without losers in Capitalism, and I'm not anti-capitalism, because I have the tools to win...even if I don't always win.

False! Capitalism has an inequality of income built into it, so that the "winners" will have incentive to invest.
Last edited by Visionary Harry; 12/13/07 04:56 PM.

Return to Top
#872332 - 12/13/07 05:24 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! FBH
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't know where to start on the last three posts, except that the first stage is denial...most people have more "stuff." But is personal wealth higher? Most people pay for that "stuff" with debt.

I guess you're not past the first stage if you're still denying that net household wealth is higher. Or maybe you just don't understand that word: "net".

Return to Top
#872520 - 12/13/07 07:56 PM Re: Income is on the rise for all!!!!!!!! FBH
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I don't know where to start on the last three posts, except that the first stage is denial...

Straw - I agree. Most people have more "stuff." But is personal wealth higher? Most people pay for that "stuff" with debt. The exchange debt for goods, and often, those goods are worth less than the amount of debt issued for them over time. Sometimes I wonder how much better off we really are. I spend 10 hours a day on average working in a cubicle regurgitating banking law and regulatory findings. I'd much rather be doing something outside...But I've issued debt in the past I have to repay.

As for my personal life view, I'm pretty happy, despite what I post here. I think I'm pretty happy because I make it a priority to remove debt from my life. I don't carry a balance on credit cards, I don't live beyond my means, when my friends were going out buying McMansions for a half million or more, I bought a modest house and invested in education. My house will be paid off in a couple years, whereas my friends in their gigantic homes full of cheap plastic [censored] from Walmart, spend to keep up with their neighbors.

I, on the other hand enjoy the fruits of my labor. I travel and have experiences with friends and family that enrich me personally and spiritually. My ramblings about inflation, debt, and the financial system are my own personal views based on what I've read and the opinions I've formed as a result. I certainly don't believe the politicians the country has elected has my best interest in mind in whatever they do. You don't have to agree with me, but until I'm banned from the forums, you'll have to suffer my rants.

Flame on...

Blue Hen, sorry if I came of as personal with my ending question. Didn't mean it that way, but in re-reading I can see how it comes off.

And yes you are correct in that more people carry debt today, and at higher levels than in previous generations, but the fact that overall wealth is up across the board in this country, I think, is hard to argue.

Look at the value of the "stuff" we all have. Whether you agree we should have or need all that "stuff", the value is there, even with the debt.

The difference now versus then is many geraduate school owing money, whereas parents' generation did not have this debt to start with.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2