Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#875574 - 12/18/07 11:02 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Pale Rider
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Is Pale Santa really Mike Huckabee?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#875576 - 12/18/07 11:03 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
what an insult!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baptist theology is way too liberal for me!

I am a conservative evangelical who happens to be pre-mil, trib and a literalist concerning the millenium

Return to Top
#875612 - 12/19/07 12:26 AM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

Yes they exist Miser, but the Democrat party platform almost universally excludes them and gives them little voice. Here is some history for you:

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rauch/nvp/politics/newrepublic_democrats.html

Here are some outspoken pro-life Dems, but you will see they tend to be battling within the Dem party:

http://prolifedemocratsinmichigan.110mb.com/

Return to Top
#875624 - 12/19/07 02:16 AM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 TheManofSteel
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
they tend to be battling within the Dem party

Except for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid - he seems to be doing OK within the party despite being opposed to abortion.

Return to Top
#875631 - 12/19/07 03:59 AM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Yossarian
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:

Except for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid - he seems to be doing OK within the party despite being opposed to abortion.

Considering he makes no fuss about it, but takes the far left position on a number of other issues, I see no reason why he would not do well within his party. I cannot say the same for the actual stance on the party platform, which was the whole point.

Return to Top
#875679 - 12/19/07 01:51 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You guys really just don't get it and thanks for proving my point.

Return to Top
#875692 - 12/19/07 02:04 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw
You guys really just don't get it and thanks for proving my point.

I suppose from your angle it would prove your point.

Return to Top
#875694 - 12/19/07 02:07 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You should try my angle. It's a bit of a right angle, but still an interesting one.

Return to Top
#875695 - 12/19/07 02:08 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
You should try my angle. It's a bit of a right angle, but still an interesting one.

lol

Return to Top
#875735 - 12/19/07 02:37 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:

Mr. Reid may be opposed to having abortion for convenience generally legal, but I've seen no evidence to support that. Can you provide some?

Return to Top
#875745 - 12/19/07 02:44 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Does it really matter? Are you going to argue that either party is more/less inclusive than the other?

Return to Top
#875748 - 12/19/07 02:49 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't see a pro-life Democrat having a legitimate chance at the Democratic presidential nomination anytime soon. Do you?

Return to Top
#875749 - 12/19/07 02:50 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Does it really matter? Are you going to argue that either party is more/less inclusive than the other?

I see you obtuse angle straw, but I would still maintain the pubbies are more inclusive and have a bigger "tent"

Return to Top
#875752 - 12/19/07 02:52 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
I don't see a pro-life Democrat having a legitimate chance at the Democratic presidential nomination anytime soon. Do you?

I'd dare say a pro choice GOP has no legitimate shot at the GOP nomination either. Look at Rudy's numbers where it matters; the early states (not national polls).

Return to Top
#875756 - 12/19/07 02:54 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

I don't see how any of this matters. What would be the point of having political parties if people who hold any position could join them? What would the parties stand for then?

Why would you want a political party that would support both pro-choice and pro-life?

Return to Top
#875885 - 12/19/07 04:09 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't see how any of this matters. What would be the point of having political parties if people who hold any position could join them? What would the parties stand for then?

I didn't say it mattered. I'm just saying that the parties are not symmetrical in their requirements about adhering to party dogma.

Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
I'd dare say a pro choice GOP has no legitimate shot at the GOP nomination either. Look at Rudy's numbers where it matters; the early states (not national polls).

He may not wind up being the nominee. But I'd say his odds are as good as anyone's in the race right now. Every candidate has their challenges. A lot of people have said this is a two-person race between Romney and Giuliani - I disagree, but you can't say that Giuliani isn't one of the top competitors.

Return to Top
#875891 - 12/19/07 04:13 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Why would you want a political party that would support both pro-choice and pro-life?

Straw, to me the issue is, would the Democrtaic party allow someone who is staunchly pro life run for anything of signifigance. The answer is no. Although abortion is an ancillary issue with the parties, too many ancillary issues have shifted to become forefront and pivotal to "getting needed votes".

Return to Top
#875893 - 12/19/07 04:14 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Pale Santa

I see you obtuse angle straw, but I would still maintain the pubbies are more inclusive and have a bigger "tent"

ROFL $10 says this gets reported.

Return to Top
#875894 - 12/19/07 04:15 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: snow mizer

OK, but if you look at who most Republicans support, he is the favorite, so I would say - like I usually do with you, that you are wrong and ilinformed. Remember, Bush was behind McCain in 2000 early in primarys.

Return to Top
#875904 - 12/19/07 04:25 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
GO Fred and definately pro life and he won't change that for anyone!!!

Return to Top
#875933 - 12/19/07 04:51 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: kms

Unless he's hired to lobby for a pro choice group...
And before anyone says, "But Thompson denies it...", I'm sure his clients have the proper bills for his service.

Return to Top
#875978 - 12/19/07 05:31 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: kms

Unless he's hired to lobby for a pro choice group...
And before anyone says, "But Thompson denies it...", I'm sure his clients have the proper bills for his service.

Which he did 15 years ago, once. I am sure that is more than enough time for him to have formed a sounder, more well-informed view:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/20/opinion/main3080192.shtml

Lobbyists are under no legal or ethical obligation to take all comers as clients; it is reasonable to infer that Thompson had no strong objection to the policy he was paid to promote. Pro-lifers should nonetheless treat this episode as a regrettable bit of ancient history — provided that Thompson demonstrates that he has changed his mind about the right to life.
He certainly seems to have done so. In his first campaign for the Senate, he said that states should be able to impose reasonable restrictions on abortion but that he himself did not think that it should be criminalized. While in the Senate, however, he voted with pro-lifers almost every time; he now describes himself as pro-life and says that he opposes embryo-destructive stem-cell research

Return to Top
#875998 - 12/19/07 05:50 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Actually, I don't think he personally ever denied it, which seems to me to imply that he did something for the group. But, the group most certainly did not have the billing records (they were specifically asked to provide them), which seems unusual, also.

Return to Top
#876005 - 12/19/07 05:52 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
[quote=straw]I don't see how any of this matters. What would be the point of having political parties if people who hold any position could join them? What would the parties stand for then?

I didn't say it mattered. I'm just saying that the parties are not symmetrical in their requirements about adhering to party dogma.

quote]

Of course they are not and of course the party you support is much more open. And of course Democrats will say the same thing. And of course, this argument really proves nothing other than each side believes itself superior to the other (big shock).

Return to Top
#876012 - 12/19/07 05:57 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
You're right - the Democrats will say the same thing. I wonder if Joe Liebermann will believe them.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4