Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#876013 - 12/19/07 05:59 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
You're right - the Democrats will say the same thing. I wonder if Joe Liebermann will believe them.

And I wonder how many liberal Republicans have lost primaries?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#876015 - 12/19/07 06:00 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Lincoln Chafee didn't - unfortunately.

Return to Top
#876017 - 12/19/07 06:01 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
By the way, it's not the fact that he lost the primary that merited his mention. It's that the party establishment threw him under the bus.

Return to Top
#876023 - 12/19/07 06:04 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
By the way, it's not the fact that he lost the primary that merited his mention. It's that the party establishment threw him under the bus.

Oh sorry I didn't realize you were changing the subject. No liberal republican was ever disfavored over a conservative one. And please don't ask me to name one, I really don't feel like looking and you and I both know that has happened at some point in history.

Return to Top
#876049 - 12/19/07 06:32 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: straw

Oh sorry I didn't realize you were changing the subject. No liberal republican was ever disfavored over a conservative one. And please don't ask me to name one, I really don't feel like looking and you and I both know that has happened at some point in history.

I really don't think this is changing the subject. I thought the subject we were discussing was wheather someone could deviate from the acnillary issue of abortion, and be an effective "party candidate" for their party. For the Republicans - yes for Democrats - No. IMO

Return to Top
#876053 - 12/19/07 06:34 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Visionary Harry

I really don't think this is changing the subject. I thought the subject we were discussing was wheather someone could deviate from the acnillary issue of abortion, and be an effective "party candidate" for their party. For the Republicans - yes for Democrats - No. IMO

A story I just read was Guiliani now tied with Huckabee.

And I guess I can end the discussion with the following:

I hereby concede the point that Republicans are more welcoming to differing opinions, are more open, honest, trustworthy, religious, family oriented, honorable, patriotic and are better in every way to Democrats.

Does this make you guys feel better.

Return to Top
#876065 - 12/19/07 06:48 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
No, but nor does the news that Guiliani and Huckabee are now tied. If Huckabee wins Hillary is our next President... which is why Huckabee is getting so much coverage. He stands no chance in a Presidential election.

Return to Top
#876069 - 12/19/07 06:49 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
No, but nor does the news that Guiliani and Huckabee are now tied. If Huckabee wins Hillary is our next President... which is why Huckabee is getting so much coverage. He stands no chance in a Presidential election.

Would you prefer I said those things about Democrats?

Return to Top
#876071 - 12/19/07 06:52 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Would you prefer I said those things about Democrats?

No, it would really disappoint me. I never took you as liar.

Return to Top
#876073 - 12/19/07 06:54 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
No liberal republican was ever disfavored over a conservative one.

I don't think that's the question at issue. The question is, is one party establishment more sold out to the special interest groups than the other, and therefore less likely to tolerate dissent within the party? I think so. If you disagree, I can respect that, but please don't try to assign motives for my opinion - it's simply what I've observed. Thanks.

Return to Top
#876079 - 12/19/07 06:59 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I am not trying to assign motives. Just observing that each side believes this and will argue vehemently regarding it.

Special interest groups dominate both parties; don't kid yourself.

Return to Top
#876109 - 12/19/07 07:17 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Groups that have interests, sure. But by "special interest" I'm referring to a much narrower segment. I don't think "families who favor lower taxation" or "people who want the border enforced" or "Americans who want a strong national defense" are quite as narrow as the ACLU, NAACP, NOW, or AFL-CIO.

Again, just my opinion.

Return to Top
#876152 - 12/19/07 07:44 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Groups that have interests, sure. But by "special interest" I'm referring to a much narrower segment. I don't think "families who favor lower taxation" or "people who want the border enforced" or "Americans who want a strong national defense" are quite as narrow as the ACLU, NAACP, NOW, or AFL-CIO.

Again, just my opinion.

How about the NRA? Or is that too broad for you?

It happens on both sides, but again you being a Republican will feel that Republicans are less beholden, more open, in genearl better at whatever it is than Democrats.

Return to Top
#876155 - 12/19/07 07:46 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Well there is no doubt that, as a special interst group the NRA represents the right, but to fit J's criteria into membership requirements of the NRA or the opposite to the ALCU dont necessarily fit.

Return to Top
#876162 - 12/19/07 07:50 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Well there is no doubt that, as a special interst group the NRA represents the right, but to fit J's criteria into membership requirements of the NRA or the opposite to the ALCU dont necessarily fit.

So someone who favors gun restrictions would be allowed to join the NRA?

Return to Top
#876173 - 12/19/07 07:54 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So someone who favors gun restrictions would be allowed to join the NRA?

My guess is that anyone who wants to pay their dues can join the NRA, but I imagine the same is true of the ACLU. I'd think the NRA has much broader membership, however.

It's a fair point, though, straw - I would consider the NRA to be a special interest group. But I'd still say that the Dems are held hostage by them to a larger extent.

Return to Top
#876213 - 12/19/07 08:17 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Actually Straw, your opinion on gun control is not a requirement to join the NRA. They do have "thier slogans" and mottos and crud but you can pay to play.

The NRA supports the right and is (although in support of gun control) somewhat moderate. But the left is represented by what I consider (and many others) extreme left groups. I mean, how much press are we goona give to Nancy Sheehan, the ALCU, Michael Moore and even AARP.

Return to Top
#876259 - 12/19/07 08:53 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
We should note that the NRA does endorse Democrats.

Return to Top
#876393 - 12/19/07 11:12 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
I would say that while you feel very strongly that your side is better than the other, and the other side feels better about themselves than your side, when you step back there is very little difference between either party.

Here are a few of differences between the two parties.

Taxes:
D - raise taxes, destroy the economy.
R - lower taxes, trickle economics works.

Iraq:
D - retreat and wallow.
R - remain and win.

Global warming:
D - suckered by Al Gore despite the facts.
R - rightly indignant.

Religion:
D - Political correctness and secularism run amok.
R - Activly promote the value of religion.

Immigration:
D - Come on in...ignore our borders and laws!
R - Come on in...legally!

War on Terror:
D - That's just a bumper sticker slogan.
R - Uhhhh...they crashed planes into buildings, blew up embassies, blow up women and children, and actively plot the death of Americans and Europeans.

I could go on...I'm sure others will.

Return to Top
#876396 - 12/19/07 11:15 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Milby
Robin Goodfellow Offline
Gold Star
Robin Goodfellow
A forest near Athens...
Originally Posted By: Milby
That's just a bumper sticker slogan.

just like War on Drugs

Return to Top
#876419 - 12/20/07 02:38 AM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Robin Goodfellow
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Milby...nice and unbiased...

Return to Top
#876499 - 12/20/07 02:45 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
Milby...nice and unbiased...

LOL... I thought you would like that!

Return to Top
#876585 - 12/20/07 03:49 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Milby
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Haha...its ok Milby, I've heard a lot of it in my short lifetime...I just laugh at it sometimes...no worries...

Return to Top
#876668 - 12/20/07 05:37 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Imagine
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
Haha...its ok Milby, I've heard a lot of it in my short lifetime...I just laugh at it sometimes...no worries...

See...who says Reps and Dems can't get along?!?! Just you stay on your side of the aisle and I on mine

RE: your short life time...as the saying goes "a conservative at twenty has no heart; a liberal at thirty has no head." Here is a trivia question - who originally opined this quote? It will surprise you to know it wasn't Churchill.

Return to Top
#876690 - 12/20/07 06:07 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Milby
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Francois Guisot (1787-1874)

I cheated.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4