Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#876798 - 12/20/07 07:49 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Originally Posted By: straw
So someone who favors gun restrictions would be allowed to join the NRA?

My guess is that anyone who wants to pay their dues can join the NRA, but I imagine the same is true of the ACLU. I'd think the NRA has much broader membership, however.

It's a fair point, though, straw - I would consider the NRA to be a special interest group. But I'd still say that the Dems are held hostage by them to a larger extent.

I just don't see why the Dems are more beholden to special interest groups than Reps. They both draw most of their funding from these groups, both rely on their support base from such groups.

What is different about the Reps special interest groups that makes Reps less beholden?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#876834 - 12/20/07 08:11 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Straw, the difference between liberal and conervative interest groups is the ones with the $$$ are from the Far left on the left side and the middle on the right side. So, to be held by your interest groups make little difference if they are centrist, but is hug when they are radical.

Return to Top
#876847 - 12/20/07 08:22 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Visionary Harry
Straw, the difference between liberal and conervative interest groups is the ones with the $$$ are from the Far left on the left side and the middle on the right side. So, to be held by your interest groups make little difference if they are centrist, but is hug when they are radical.

Do you think that you view the Repub interest groups as centrist because they are more closely aligned to your beliefs, while the Dems interest groups appear radical to you because they do not align with your beliefs?

Just food for thought.

Return to Top
#876999 - 12/20/07 11:18 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I just don't see why the Dems are more beholden to special interest groups than Reps. They both draw most of their funding from these groups, both rely on their support base from such groups.

What is different about the Reps special interest groups that makes Reps less beholden?

I think it's degrees of relativity - how relatively special the interest groups are, and how relatively beholden the parties are to them. The Republicans had lots of pro-choice speakers at their last convention; how many pro-life speakers did the Dems have? McCain voted against the tax cuts and was a featured speaker at the convention - how many Dems that voted for the tax cuts were featured?

You don't have to agree - it's just my opinion. If you want to say that's my opinion because of my bias, you could be right, or not. I don't know.

Return to Top
#877004 - 12/20/07 11:24 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

I think it's degrees of relativity - how relatively special the interest groups are, and how relatively beholden the parties are to them. The Republicans had lots of pro-choice speakers at their last convention; how many pro-life speakers did the Dems have? McCain voted against the tax cuts and was a featured speaker at the convention - how many Dems that voted for the tax cuts were featured?

You don't have to agree - it's just my opinion. If you want to say that's my opinion because of my bias, you could be right, or not. I don't know.

Fair enough.

Return to Top
#877010 - 12/20/07 11:31 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Thanks.

I'm not even sure that it's a good thing that the Republicans appear to be more "open" - I wish the RSCC wouldn't have supported Chafee, for example, or that the President wouldn't have campaigned for Specter.

Return to Top
#877013 - 12/20/07 11:34 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Thanks.

I'm not even sure that it's a good thing that the Republicans appear to be more "open" - I wish the RSCC wouldn't have supported Chafee, for example, or that the President wouldn't have campaigned for Specter.

That's where I was kind of going yesterday, when I asked if you would want a politcal party to support those on both sides the issues.

However, since we only have two parties, the closer each party remains to the center, the more likely that party will control the electorate. Therefore, one party will always cater to the center more so than the wings.

Return to Top
#877017 - 12/20/07 11:39 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
However, since we only have two parties, the closer each party remains to the center, the more likely that party will control the electorate. Therefore, one party will always cater to the center more so than the wings.

But, if both parties are trying to control the electorate, then they are both trying to cater to the center - at what point do they become the same party?

Return to Top
#877100 - 12/21/07 01:49 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Do you think that you view the Repub interest groups as centrist because they are more closely aligned to your beliefs, while the Dems interest groups appear radical to you because they do not align with your beliefs?

Just food for thought.

No I think this because those who get the media attention are the left wing nuts like Mike Moore, Cindy Sheehan and those that were calling us the "losers" in a war we were winning. It is strange when an ex presidential candidate representing the Democrats calls our own troops murderers. Are those views typical of centrists. Not to say that the Republicans are exempt from this behavior, but it sure seems like they hardly ever do this crud.

Return to Top
#877216 - 12/21/07 03:44 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Just food for thought.

No I think this because those who get the media attention are the left wing nuts like Mike Moore, Cindy Sheehan and those that were calling us the "losers" in a war we were winning. It is strange when an ex presidential candidate representing the Democrats calls our own troops murderers. Are those views typical of centrists. Not to say that the Republicans are exempt from this behavior, but it sure seems like they hardly ever do this crud.

Or maybe they just don't get the media's attention?

Return to Top
#877235 - 12/21/07 03:57 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Just food for thought.

That could be, but I really doubt any militia is holding the short and curlies of the Republican party. Either way, its not worth arguing about because its not verifiable. But one thing is for certain, the media should not be paying so much attention to some of these left wing nuts.

Return to Top
#877242 - 12/21/07 03:59 PM Re: "Fair & Balanaced" View on God & Pres 2008 Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Just food for thought.

That could be, but I really doubt any militia is holding the short and curlies of the Republican party. Either way, its not worth arguing about because its not verifiable. But one thing is for certain, the media should not be paying so much attention to some of these left wing nuts.

Maybe it is a conservative conspiracy to assure Republican party dominance

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4