Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#88368 - 06/16/03 04:32 PM BSA: Wire Transfer Retrievability
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am currently conducting a BSA audit. As part of the process, I am reviewing wire transfer procedures as it relates to BSA. It is my understanding that according to the the regulation, records must be retrievable by the name of originator (for originated transfers) and name of beneficiary (for received transfers), and, if they are established customers, by account number. Currently, our files are simply maintained collectively by month and day.

How are your institutions meeting the information retrievability requirement noted above?

Return to Top
Audit
#88369 - 06/16/03 04:45 PM Re: BSA: Wire Transfer Retrievability
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
We keep a wire log in Excel that allows us to find any wire by each of the required designations. From that data, we are able to access the date, etc. to locate the actual wire documentation.

Return to Top
#88370 - 06/16/03 08:33 PM Re: BSA: Wire Transfer Retrievability
BRubble Offline
New Poster
BRubble
Midwest
We use an Access database that someone designed several years ago. The database is used to input the information for outgoing and incoming wires and prints the form to initiate the wire. You can click in any field and perform a search.

Return to Top
#88371 - 06/16/03 09:16 PM Re: BSA: Wire Transfer Retrievability
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Can you point out the reg section that "requires" retrieval by name? I must have missed that one.

Return to Top
#88372 - 06/16/03 09:27 PM Wire Transfer Retrievability
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
Ipso,

Bank Secrecy Regulation. Specifically Section (4) Retrievability.

MarkB

Return to Top
#88373 - 06/16/03 10:57 PM Re: Wire Transfer Retrievability
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Ipso,

Bank Secrecy Regulation. Specifically Section (4) Retrievability.

MarkB

Thanks Mark.

My reading of the reg "(4) Retrievability" prompts me to continue what we are doing - nothing special.

We only perform originator wire activity for known account holders with the funds flowing from the customer account, so that is the retrievable record that is required. Beneficiary activity is the same as we only receive wires for customers with proceeds always going to a customer account - so that is the retrievable record.

Of course, if a bank sends/receives wires relating to non-customers (no account), a separate list appears to be required by the regulation so that that information can be retrieved by name or some identifying number.

Return to Top
#88374 - 06/18/03 10:45 PM Re: BSA: Wire Transfer Retrievability
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Viable options depend upon the amount of wire activity you have. The reg only requires that you be able to research and retrieve information in a reasonable period of time...not instantly. For a very small shop with limited wire activity, you may easily be able to do a manual search of your records (wire write-up forms). The next level may be a hand written log with the appropriate information on it. Beyond that, consider a log based on Excel, Access, or other software program that will allow searching capabilities.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z