Dip
San Diego, CA
Shhh..., um no, it's not a joke

Return to Top
#883777 - 01/08/08 06:21 PM Re: Dog Rescues Dip
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Heaven forbid we could keep a thread on topic.

Return to Top
#883786 - 01/08/08 06:34 PM Re: Dog Rescues MichelleDawn
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Petfinder is a great site, BF...thats were we found our pup...probably going to get a second one.

Return to Top
#883793 - 01/08/08 06:40 PM Re: Dog Rescues TB 12
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
We get almost all of our adopting families from those two sites. The key seems to be to not only get two or three pictures showing the dog looking HAPPY, especially around children if you can pull it off, but also to write a biography that really brings out the pet's personality. A lot of people just post a photo and what breed it is. We try to bring the pet to life so our potential permanent homes know what they are getting.

Return to Top
#883802 - 01/08/08 06:46 PM Re: Dog Rescues B_F
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Thats great-I have a lot of respect and admiration for everyone involved in shelters and the adoption organizations!!

Return to Top
#883841 - 01/08/08 07:16 PM Re: Dog Rescues TB 12
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
BF is right (man I never thought I would say that ). I write the bios for the cats from our shelter that are listed on Petfinder (and a couple of smaller sites). When people come to see a cat they saw online they always mention how helpful the bios are.
Last edited by MichelleDawn; 01/08/08 07:17 PM.

Return to Top
#884527 - 01/09/08 05:59 PM Re: Dog Rescues B_F
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK - I need some advice and I just want to get this off of my chest.

As you have read previously, our greyhound snarled and snapped at my son on Friday evening. He now snarls and snaps at our other two dogs for no apparent reason. It seems as though he has learned that this works and he likes being left alone. Last night we heard him right after we had turned off the bedroom lights to go to bed. My husband and I went out there and either the cat jumping up onto the chair or the sheltie going outside set him off. I know that neither animal provoked him in any way.

We have great concern about, not only the other animals in the house, but my 95 1/2 year old mother-in-law who lives with us. If he ever snapped at her he would probably take her down. She's very frail and unsteady and he's a 100 pound dog.

I know that we could probably talk to an animal behaviorist - especially since this seems to have all begun after he got in the fight with the sheltie a couple of months ago. However, we don't want to risk my mother-in-law's health and it's not fair to the other two dogs who have been in the household since they were 6 week old puppies. They are now 8 and 9 years old.

What to do - what to do.

Return to Top
#884547 - 01/09/08 06:17 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Put him on a leash even in the house for a week, and give him a correction when he even starts to look like he's going to snarl or snap. See if that works.

Return to Top
#884551 - 01/09/08 06:19 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
In his little furry mind, he has acsended to alpha position in the household and - as pack leader - it's his job to grumble and grounch and keep everyone else in line (no matter what species they happen to be). You're going to have to take him down a peg....soon. The longer he stays 'top dog' the more difficult it will be to displace him. Sometimes a quick pin will do it, sometimes you have to be a bit more assertive than that.

Forget human rules about obedience, etc...learn to speak critter. Immediately.

Return to Top
#884552 - 01/09/08 06:19 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
First of all, don't jump so far ahead. This happened recently and only a few times since. It may not be a permanent habit. How would you deal with other behavior your considered unacceptable? Is there an area you could confine the dog when he's "bad" so he receives the message that snarling is not acceptable behavior?

Call your vet and/or a dog trainer and ask if there are any tips he/she can share. Go to the library or check the internet for information on the subject. There are tons of message boards and other sites for pet owners to share information.

Attitude has been through a lot and whenever you adopt an adult animal you have to assume that there will be some "baggage" to deal with. Don't give up on this sweetie yet.

Return to Top
#884575 - 01/09/08 06:51 PM Re: Dog Rescues MichelleDawn
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
Does your local public radio run 'Calling all Pets'? It's a call-in advice show and the behaviorist that does it is really good. The show is live at 7 AM central time on Saturdays.

Return to Top
#884616 - 01/09/08 07:31 PM Re: Dog Rescues hmdagal
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone know anyone looking for a gorgeous German Shepherd mix with Rott/Doberman coloring, a submissive personality, and a smart dog?

I'm going crazy because I just had someone contact me to take it in, but I can't because it doesn't like cats and all the fosters we can find are full! Aarrrgggghhh!

Return to Top
#884625 - 01/09/08 07:38 PM Re: Dog Rescues B_F
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
BF this is so weird...I was just going to this thread to ask if anyone knew of a German Shepherd rescue group in Minnesota. I have a friend with a GS and he has in the past exhibited agressive tendencies towards strangers. Well, a week ago this dog turned on my friend's 15 year old son. They want to put him down but I asked her to give me a little time to maybe find a rescue group.

Return to Top
#884638 - 01/09/08 07:47 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Sarah
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Lucky Dog Rescue Foundation
P.O. 43734
Brooklyn Park, MN. 55444
763-585-6160

Gemini Rottweiler and Pitbull Rescue, Inc.
Madison MN 56256
Phone: 320-598-3087

A Rotta Love Plus
Minneapolis
651-649-4451

Gemini and A Rotta Love both specialize in Rotts and Pitts, but might be able to take on a GS.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#884640 - 01/09/08 07:48 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Skittles, I know for a fact that the quick pin RR Becca suggests works. But only if you're strong enough and confident enough to take on 100lbs of dog. My husband did it effectively with a 100lb+ lab that we had.

Unfortunately, I disagree with the statement that this isn't a habit. And I don't think discipline alone will work. You need to get him to submit to humans being alpha. The only way to do that is to surprise him and put him in the belly exposed submissive position.

Research online and call your vet. IMO, you need to get this under control quickly.

Return to Top
#884653 - 01/09/08 08:04 PM Re: Dog Rescues Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. TR is correct - we need to get this under control quickly - or relinquish him to the adoption agency where we got him. I have an e-mail in to her and we will discuss thsi with her. He is truly a sweet dog - but apparently being the Alpha has gone to his head. This could be disastrous if he tried it on the MIL. We almost took him back immediately when he tried it on my 20 year old son. We just can't have this.

Return to Top
#884660 - 01/09/08 08:12 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Sarah
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Well, a week ago this dog turned on my friend's 15 year old son.

It would be so very interesting to know "what happened before what happened, happened"! (to use a horse behavior quote here)

I had a GS/St. Bernard (ie HUGE)mix when my son was a toddler. We were outside on the deck when a yellowfly landed on the kid...I swatted the fly and Bear promptly stood on his hind legs, front legs on my shoulders and literally pushed me up against the sliding glass doors and glared at me...never made a sound and never tried to hurt me, but let me know in no uncertain terms that next time might be a different story. Well, there wasn't a next time, but I imagine it may have gotten more intense? Not sure.

Then there was my dad's GS...she wouldn't tolerate anyone but family...and would stay literally between my dad and any other non-family person talking to him. We even muzzled her during obedience classes to attempt some amount of desensitizing, to no avail. She was socialized by taking her to strip malls as a young dog to get her around people, but she never changed. She never harmed anyone, but there's no doubt she would have risen to the occassion, if she felt one of us, especially my dad ,needed it.

Anyway, it would just be interesting to know if something happened that prompted the dogs reaction. I'm not saying it makes it right...just wondering.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#884664 - 01/09/08 08:15 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
You may want to try a 'nothing in life is free' program. Basically, keep Attitude off the furniture (use a tether if necessary). He also needs to ask for everything from you - food, treats, toys, outside - usually by sitting. He goes out the door last. You get the idea.

Return to Top
#884708 - 01/09/08 08:38 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Joker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
The story from my friend is that her and her son arrived home one evening and when they got out of the car, the dog went after the boy. From what I have heard in the past, the kid was the only one who ever paid the dog any attention. My friend was able to put herself between the dog and the kid and her son was able to get into the house. This dog has shown unpredictable behavior in the past and is very aggressive with people who come into their yard. (I will not get out of my vehicle if he is running free). I am sure it has everything to do with how he was raised and handled (or not handled). Since he is relatively young I thought it would be worth a shot to try and get him somewhere and with someone who knows German Shepherds so he could have a chance at a normal life. I think he is just too much dog for them and their lifestyle.

Return to Top
#884735 - 01/09/08 08:55 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Sarah
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Wow!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#884739 - 01/09/08 08:58 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Joker
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
RRSarah...Here are some links to some German Shepherd rescues in Minnesota (and regionally close to MN)...

Mit Liebe German Shepherd Dog Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/WI70.html

German Shepherd Rescue Alliance of Wisconsin - http://www.gsraw.com/

Arfs German Shepherd Rescue Inc. - http://www.arfrescue.com/application.html

Good Shepherd K-9 Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/WI50.html

White Paws German Shepherd Dog Rescue Inc. - http://www.whitepawsgsr.com/

Central Wisconsin German Shepherd Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/WI138.html

Badgerland German Shepherd Rescue - http://www.bgsr.org/

Wisconsin German Shepherd Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/WI100.html

White German Shepherd Dog Club of America - http://www.wgsdca.org

German Shepherd 4U2LUV Rescue - http://www.geocities.com/cvgsd2000/

German Shepherd Breed Rescue of MN - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MN60.html

Northeast Wyoming German Shepherd Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/WY34.html

Apollo Creek German Shepherd Rescue - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MI501.html

German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Michigan - http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/MI221.html

Return to Top
#884748 - 01/09/08 09:00 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Joker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I just received an e-mail from a GS rescue group and they said most groups won't even touch the dog unless it has had two behavior evaluations. I should probably just back away and let what happens happen. I would feel terrible if someone got hurt while I was trying to find this dog a home.

Return to Top
#884749 - 01/09/08 09:01 PM Re: Dog Rescues MadisonCali
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Thanks MadisonCali, I'll take a look at those tonight!

Return to Top
#885568 - 01/10/08 07:47 PM Re: Dog Rescues RR Sarah
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Update - after talking with the rescue group, we're going to try to work with Attitude using a rolled up newspaper. Last night, when he growled at one of the other dogs, I swatted him across his backend. You would have thought I had shot him. He whirled around and just looked dumbfounded. We'll see how this goes.

BTW - this morning I got an e-mail from the head of the group. Her concern is that Attitude could possibly be turning into a grumpy old man with aches and pains and that she feels we should relinquish him. I told her we were going to work with him for awhile and see how it goes. We just love the big guy.

Return to Top
#885582 - 01/10/08 07:59 PM Re: Dog Rescues Skittles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Skittles,

Another thing to try besides the rolled up newspaper is (if you can) is to drink a can of pop and then fill it with a dozen or so pennies and shake it when the dog gets swatted. If you do that, over time, you'll be able to shake the can of pennies at the dog and not have to get up to swat him to get the same effect.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett