Thread Options
#883246 - 01/07/08 09:21 PM Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#883307 - 01/07/08 10:37 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections TheManofSteel
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I think we need a constitutional amendment to define "cruel and unusual." As far as I'm concerned, as long as the punishment doesn't exceed the crime in its harshness, it's not cruel or unusual.

Return to Top
#883508 - 01/08/08 02:32 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections The Incredible ComplyGuy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
TICG,

We just saw a man spend most of his life in prison for supposedly raping a child, only to find out that DNA evidence proved without a doubt that it was not him. Had he killed the child, he'd be dead now instead of a free, exonerated man thanks to the death penalty in Texas. This is EXACTLY why the death penalty needs to be abolished. You can't take back killing someone. You can, however, free an innocent man from prison while he is serving a life sentence.

Return to Top
#883511 - 01/08/08 02:34 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Had he killed the child, he'd be dead now instead of a free, exonerated man thanks to the death penalty in Texas.

This made me LOLoad a little bit... I get what you were trying to say, but still it made me chuckle a bit... carry on!

Return to Top
#883518 - 01/08/08 02:40 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
A_G Offline
10K Club
only to find out that DNA evidence proved without a doubt that it was not him.

That' a great point! 20 years ago the DP might not have been sucha great thing. But in this day and age, with DNA evidence, it can prove just the opposite of what you say - without a doubt it IS someone!

Return to Top
#883532 - 01/08/08 02:52 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections A_G
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
No shock here, but I am all for the death penalty, and I could care less if it hurts a bit. These people are on death row for a reason and some pain at the end is not a bad thing.

Return to Top
#883552 - 01/08/08 03:09 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections kms
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: kms
No shock here, but I am all for the death penalty, and I could care less if it hurts a bit. These people are on death row for a reason and some pain at the end is not a bad thing.

They are indeed on death row for a reason. However, a man was in prison for most of his life for a reason too. They thought he did something terrible, and a court convicted him. Strangely enough, when they actually checked EVIDENCE, they found out he was innocent and set him free. Do you or anyone you personally know have the ability to overturn and reverse a death sentence?

Return to Top
#883553 - 01/08/08 03:11 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections A_G
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: IHeartHuckabees
only to find out that DNA evidence proved without a doubt that it was not him.

That' a great point! 20 years ago the DP might not have been sucha great thing. But in this day and age, with DNA evidence, it can prove just the opposite of what you say - without a doubt it IS someone!

Unfortunately, we live in a nation where many people can afford lawyers who can overcome damning DNA evidence, and others cannot afford an attorney who will even bother to check the box marked not-guilty. Until that changes, you cannot be sure that everything is being done to prevent innocent men from going to jail, or worse yet, being executed. Any irreversible punishment is unjust.

Return to Top
#883562 - 01/08/08 03:17 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Can you reverse the 20 years this man spent in prison? That is irreversible too, unless someone figures out time travel.

Return to Top
#883566 - 01/08/08 03:23 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
A_G Offline
10K Club
A figure in the tens of millions might do it for me...

Return to Top
#883567 - 01/08/08 03:23 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Why do they sterilize the needle used for lethal injection and the injection site?

Return to Top
#883570 - 01/08/08 03:25 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
This is where DNA is going to be helpful in the future, it is becoming a faster less expensive way of proving guilt or innocence

Return to Top
#883572 - 01/08/08 03:26 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
Sunny CU Offline
Miami, Florida
In spite of the fact that you are a Bengals fan (Steeler fan here), I could not agree with you more. When I was in law school, one of my professors was involved in something called the Innocence Project where attorneys volunteered their time to help convicted criminals on death row who were unjustly found guilty. These types of cases are not unusual, there are hundreds of them. One cannot reclaim their time in jail, but they can start over. Once we kill someone, there is no coming back.

Return to Top
#883579 - 01/08/08 03:33 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: straw
Can you reverse the 20 years this man spent in prison? That is irreversible too, unless someone figures out time travel.

No, you can't. HOWEVER, you can give them the ability to go out and live the rest of their life.

Return to Top
#883586 - 01/08/08 03:39 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
OK, no DP at all, regardless of situation?

What if the news captures on video, some idiot unloading his gun at the mall and killing a number of people?

Live on national TV, no questions, no possiblities he didn't do it. And he's pledged to kill others either in prison or if he ever gets out.

Still no DP?

Return to Top
#883591 - 01/08/08 03:43 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
As far as I am concerned, there should be no punishment that cannot be reversed or overturned.

So, no, I don't care if the news has him on video and he says he did it and will do it again. If he's a danger to others, lock him up in solitary confinement for the duration of his life. Not only can you release him if you later find out that he was forced to do it while his wife was at gunpoint off camera, but you also save money by keeping the man in jail the rest of his life versus executing him.

Return to Top
#883592 - 01/08/08 03:43 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
HOWEVER, going out on a limb, I am going to say that those 20 years in prison are irreversible too. So if you standard is the fact that death is irreversible and therefore an unjust punishment, time is irreversible and therefore unjust because some of the people we send to prison may or may not be guilty.

Return to Top
#883597 - 01/08/08 03:45 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
HOWEVER, going out on a limb, I am going to say that those 20 years in prison are irreversible too. So if you standard is the fact that death is irreversible and therefore an unjust punishment, time is irreversible and therefore unjust because some of the people we send to prison may or may not be guilty.

You can't give time back, but you CAN give him the ability to live the rest of his life a free man. What is so hard for you to understand the difference between that and making someone dead?

Return to Top
#883600 - 01/08/08 03:48 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I know why it is so hard for you to understand what I am saying so I won't ask you the question.

You stated that death is irreversible therefore, the death penalty is unjust. I am arguing that all punsishments are irreversible and if that is how to justify whether a punishment is just, all punishments would be unjust.

Stick to arguing about life's sanctity. Gives you the moral highground and you can stay away from tricky things like logic and syllogisms.

Return to Top
#883607 - 01/08/08 03:52 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I know why it is so hard for you to understand what I am saying so I won't ask you the question.

You stated that death is irreversible therefore, the death penalty is unjust. I am arguing that all punsishments are irreversible and if that is how to justify whether a punishment is just, all punishments would be unjust.

Stick to arguing about life's sanctity. Gives you the moral highground and you can stay away from tricky things like logic and syllogisms.

You're really pathetic if you can't understand that by irreversible, I mean you can't do anything to change the punishment if it is found to be unjust. You're even sadder because I'm sure you're getting some sick joy out of trying to be a pain in my butt, and all it is doing is making you look like a fool. You can't give someone the time they did in prison back, but you can free them. It's that simple.

Return to Top
#883609 - 01/08/08 03:53 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
We know everything is that simple to you. As to who is pathetic, I will leave that for other to decide and ultimately, the only One who can really judge.

Have a wonderful day!

Return to Top
#883612 - 01/08/08 03:56 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
You stated that death is irreversible therefore

stop arguing over semantics and get back to work. you know very well the proposition that he is arguing doesn't turn on the word "irreversible".

Return to Top
#883613 - 01/08/08 03:57 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East

No, you can't. HOWEVER, you can give them the ability to go out and live the rest of their life.

Read Grisham's "The Innocent Man"

Return to Top
#883615 - 01/08/08 03:58 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Oh great Ron. I see you are done with finals and have nothing better to do.

You really want to step in and try to argue using logic.

And as far as getting back to work, do you think if I wasn't at work (like you), I would have nothing better to do than be on this site?

Return to Top
#883623 - 01/08/08 04:02 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Sunny CU
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Sunny CU
Once we kill someone, there is no coming back.

Trivia question... # of documented of innocent people being actually executed in this country,. (hint: rhymes w/ "hero"). DNA evidence makes it even more unlikely.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3