Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#883662 - 01/08/08 04:28 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Blade Scrapper
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Originally Posted By: Swimware
Originally Posted By: Sunny CU
Once we kill someone, there is no coming back.

Trivia question... # of documented of innocent people being actually executed in this country,. (hint: rhymes w/ "hero"). DNA evidence makes it even more unlikely.

False.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3472872.html

I believe, in the 1800s in Maine we hanged an innocent man...badly. Shortly thereafter DP was eliminated in Maine, but I can't find any documented info on this.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#883667 - 01/08/08 04:29 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Blade Scrapper
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Sunny CU
Once we kill someone, there is no coming back.

Trivia question... # of documented of innocent people being actually executed in this country,. (hint: rhymes w/ "hero"). DNA evidence makes it even more unlikely.

Bzzz wrong answer. There have been innocent people executed. Do a quick websearch for the Innocence Project and you'll find the correct number.

Return to Top
#883681 - 01/08/08 04:44 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections B_F
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
um.... here It is often claimed that 23 innocents have been executed in the US since 1900. Nonsense. Even the authors of that "23 innocents executed" study proclaimed "We agree with our critics, we never proved those (23) executed to be innocent; we never claimed that we had." While no one would claim that an innocent has never been executed, there is no proof of an innocent executed in the US, at least since 1900.
Last edited by Swimware; 01/08/08 04:46 PM.

Return to Top
#883689 - 01/08/08 04:50 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Blade Scrapper
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
um.... here It is often claimed that 23 innocents have been executed in the US since 1900. Nonsense. Even the authors of that "23 innocents executed" study proclaimed "We agree with our critics, we never proved those (23) executed to be innocent; we never claimed that we had." While no one would claim that an innocent has never been executed (Except Swimware), there is no proof of an innocent executed in the US, at least since 1900.

Return to Top
#883696 - 01/08/08 05:05 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Comp Guy No More
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I never said it never happened, I said there has never been a documented case (meaning proof). Suspicion by Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and Innocence Project does not constitute proof (except to Comp Guy and BF).

Return to Top
#883705 - 01/08/08 05:16 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Blade Scrapper
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Would it be ok with everyone if I just stab myself in the eyes with a mechanical pencil rather than get involved in this argument?

Return to Top
#883724 - 01/08/08 05:29 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
No, you must get involved

Return to Top
#883746 - 01/08/08 05:52 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Ok, I will revert back to the texas article. (btw, I support the DP)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3472872.html

Return to Top
#883799 - 01/08/08 06:43 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Comp Guy No More
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
well at least the debate is not about the death penalty itself, but whether or not lethal injection is too painful. I think it is utah that still has a firing squad listed as one of their DP procedures, all states could just revert to that.(well those with the DP)

Return to Top
#883818 - 01/08/08 06:55 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Blade Scrapper
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
It's very difficult to get someone to continue the process of trying to prove their innocence after you've killed them. Even bringing an action on their behalf is difficult because courts usually won't hear cases if they consider them to be moot.

Return to Top
#883831 - 01/08/08 07:09 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections kms
Queen Bee Offline
Diamond Poster
Queen Bee
CT
I dont really care if it is too painful. They are dying people - why should they go peacefully?

Return to Top
#883853 - 01/08/08 07:23 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Queen Bee
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
I dont really care if it is too painful

queen bee, but the constitution protects against cruel and unusual punishment. and they are trying to resolve this exact issue i believe.

Return to Top
#883858 - 01/08/08 07:25 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Hated By Some
Queen Bee Offline
Diamond Poster
Queen Bee
CT
you are right but what is the death penalty? As you can see many feel that alone is cruel and unusual punishment.

Return to Top
#883859 - 01/08/08 07:26 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Hated By Some
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:

queen bee, but the constitution protects against cruel and unusual punishment. and they are trying to resolve this exact issue i believe.

constitution shmonstitution... lets all just get blazed and sing kumbayah....

Return to Top
#883863 - 01/08/08 07:28 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections doobydoobydoo
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I would think some of the other forms would be more painful

Return to Top
#883873 - 01/08/08 07:31 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections kms
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
maybe the form where we do to them what they did to their victim.. I am partial to that.

Return to Top
#883875 - 01/08/08 07:31 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections kms
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Originally Posted By: kms
well at least the debate is not about the death penalty itself, but whether or not lethal injection is too painful. I think it is utah that still has a firing squad listed as one of their DP procedures, all states could just revert to that.(well those with the DP)

I think the firing squad is the ideal execution method -- it's cheap, simple, and should result in the quickest death (considering you have sharpshooters aiming at a stationary target at close range).

Return to Top
#883877 - 01/08/08 07:31 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Queen Bee
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: QueenBee
you are right but what is the death penalty?

good question...
about as useful as:
what is death?
What is penalty?
What is cruel?
What is unusual?
what is an analgesic?
Why are rainbows good?

Return to Top
#883886 - 01/08/08 07:39 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections doobydoobydoo
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
lets all just get blazed and sing kumbayah

if only this utopia were true.

Return to Top
#883889 - 01/08/08 07:40 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Queen Bee
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
you are right but what is the death penalty? As you can see many feel that alone is cruel and unusual punishment.

well, this is a matter of jurisprudence: the court has decided to solve a comparatively narrow issue rather than the whole kit and caboodle.

Return to Top
#883890 - 01/08/08 07:41 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections doobydoobydoo
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDoo
Originally Posted By: QueenBee
you are right but what is the death penalty?

good question...
about as useful as:
what is death?
What is penalty?
What is cruel?
What is unusual?
what is an analgesic?
Why are rainbows good?

Momentary Thread Hijack...

If you've ever had a kid ask one of those questions, you should read "Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions" by Wendell Jamieson

Return to Top
#883945 - 01/08/08 08:22 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Is there a non-cruel way to end someone's life if not by lethal injection?

Return to Top
#883961 - 01/08/08 08:35 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw
Quote:

Sicilian hooker-applied death by constriction.

Return to Top
#884339 - 01/09/08 03:39 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: straw
Quote:

so you think this court is going to go beyond the scope of the actual issue at hand: the cruel and unusual nature of this particular method of death? sure it could happen, but what of this court's recent jurisprudence makes you think that?

Return to Top
#884341 - 01/09/08 03:40 PM Re: Supremem Court Divided Over Lethal Injections Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I did not mention the court at all. I asked you.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3