Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#890 - 03/12/01 08:11 PM application of loan payments
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need some guidance as to how to find out what a bank's obligation is in applying loan payments (i.e. the order in which payments must be applied, the ability or inability to process partial payments, etc.) This specifically is for amortizing residentail mortgage loans but also for simple interest consumer loans as well. Any help in terms of Federal Register citations would be appreciated--their "help" site is too complicated for me---thanks in advance

Return to Top
General Discussion
#891 - 03/12/01 08:15 PM Re: application of loan payments
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Steve - You won't find much help in the Federal Register, anyhow. This is really a state law issue. Another source of information might be FHLMC or FNMA if you sell mortgage loans to them.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#892 - 03/12/01 09:01 PM Re: application of loan payments
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are talking about how payments are applied in terms of principle, interest, etc.; Regulation AA requires payments to be applied to required amounts first (prin, int, escrow, etc.) before any amount can be applied to accrued late charges.

Return to Top
#893 - 03/14/01 05:37 AM Re: application of loan payments
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This may also be defined in the contracts themselves, which should be in accordance with the law.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top