Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#892013 - 01/23/08 04:42 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: smoothsailing

We spend too much time focusing our energy, tears, and emotion on certain people just b/c they are movie "stars", or pro athletes. Why? You have no direct affiliation with him whatsoever, other than the fact he was in a movie you liked.

And what direct affiliation do you have with the many soldiers dying and the children getting sick?

My tiny fiddle weeps for you because you don't think anyone cares.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#892017 - 01/23/08 04:48 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
A_G Offline
10K Club
A rather cold opinion, don't you think?

You have no celebrity "idols?" Hypothetically, say I love the music of Mick Jagger. I might find it saddening when one of the greatest rock legends of all time passes.

And for what it's worth, when I do hear news reports of soliders getting blown up - no I don't almost cry - but there is a clenching feeling inside.

"Any to whoever responded by saying something like this helps bring to the forefront the problem of drugs in our society. ARe you kidding me? It takes a 28 year old actor possibly dying from OD'ing to make you think about this problem. What a joke"

Yeah actually it does. Because it shows the 15 year old on drugs that someone with loads of money, fame, and power is not invincible to the negative effects of drug use too. They might think for a second to themselves that yeah it might actually happen to them.

And by ending everything with "my opinion" doesn't make it sound less callus.

Return to Top
#892022 - 01/23/08 04:51 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
We spend too much time focusing our energy, tears, and emotion on certain people just b/c they are movie "stars", or pro athletes. Why? You have no direct affiliation with him whatsoever, other than the fact he was in a movie you liked. BFD.

So, we should not mourn anyone that we don't have a personal relationship with? Is it meaningless to you that someone can visibly contribute something in this world that might touch the lives of others in a positive way?

Return to Top
#892030 - 01/23/08 04:54 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Becka Marr
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
So, we should not mourn anyone that we don't have a personal relationship with? Is it meaningless to you that someone can visibly contribute something in this world that might touch the lives of others in a positive way?

Only if it's a child 1,000 miles away with cancer.

And obviously I'm not saying a child with cancer is not a sad thing by any means, but someone like Ledger has had an affect on more people (via the public eye) than a child across the country who has just passed from cancer.

Return to Top
#892034 - 01/23/08 04:57 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
TigerIze Offline
Gold Star
TigerIze
FukoLand, MellonValley
Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including me. There was an ealier post from, sdie23 (sp?) who said "I almost cried"....

Come on, that is laughable. Why would you almost cry over this? Why? Do you know this person directly, I doubt it. I bet she didn't "almost cry" the last time it was reported that a soldier got blown up.

CNN had this news story on for over 20 minutes last night!! That is unbelievable. The top news story of the day, covering over 20 minutes of air time, is sorrow, grief, and discussion, over this guy. Let's assume he OD'd on drugs. Then hey, he is an idiot. Why feel sorry and "almost cry" over someone who decides to take drugs, especially an adult. He didn't care about his life, why should we?

We spend too much time focusing our energy, tears, and emotion on certain people just b/c they are movie "stars", or pro athletes. Why? You have no direct affiliation with him whatsoever, other than the fact he was in a movie you liked. BFD.

Yes, your opinion but as stated already a cold one. I can bet that if there was a soldier in the news constantly for YEARS then people would almost cry when that soldier died for whatever reason. We as regular citizens may not have direct connections to these stars but when you "sort of" watch someone grow up through the years or you feel like you've grown up with them since you've seen them in the media then you are entitled to feel emotion when you learn of their passing. To cry over every child that you've never heard of passing would be a little strange even though it is still possible to feel horrible that the child didn't live that long. I can agree that some celebrity passings are drawn out WAAAY too long and it is a sign of the media attempting to milk it for all it's worth but 20 minutes for a celebrity who was still in his acting prime (the guy was only 28 years old) and was in the process of filling very large footsteps (the Joker; Jack Nicholson is the only one for me) isn't extreme.

Return to Top
#892056 - 01/23/08 05:18 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? TigerIze
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Smooth just because people are talking about Heath Ledger doesn't mean they aren't talking about the other topics that you mentioned. If you'd like a specific topic to be focused upon, feel free to start a thread about it.

I personally think this is a sad situation because there is a 2 year old girl without a father, it doesn't really matter that he was famous.

Return to Top
#892084 - 01/23/08 05:40 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
TigerIze Offline
Gold Star
TigerIze
FukoLand, MellonValley
Just thought I'd point out that out of almost 2 years of being a BOL member SS hasn't posted a single child dying of cancer or soldier being blown up thread. hmmm

Also it seems to me that you can't talk about anyone "almost crying" about someone's death when you openly admit to getting depressed about a concert that may not happen...yes... I checked your posts.

I am curious how many of my fellow bankers are Jimmy Buffett fans? I am getting depressed b/c rumor has it there might not be a tour this summer...

Return to Top
#892091 - 01/23/08 05:43 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Sing A Little
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I'd have to agree with Sing.

To me what is sad is that if this was due to drug use, it is another wasted life. Does it matter that he was famous - NO! He allowed himself to get caught up in the 'I can handle it' mentality of addiction, and lost. That is what is sad.

Return to Top
#892094 - 01/23/08 05:45 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? TigerIze
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
It is, actually, a sad thing when any human being destroys their life. In the case of these young celebrities dying - it is a good case study for our kids. Helps drive home the point that it doesn't matter what things look like on the outside, you never know what someone is experiencing on the inside. Money, fame, good looks aren't going to make you happy. True joy and happiness comes from deep within.

Somewhere, Heath Ledger has family who mourn his loss.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#892096 - 01/23/08 05:46 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? TigerIze
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I am thankful that I have the ability to show some compassion for all people- good or bad.
I am also thankful that I am not afraid to show it either.

Return to Top
#892107 - 01/23/08 05:57 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? pjs
TigerIze Offline
Gold Star
TigerIze
FukoLand, MellonValley
Originally Posted By: pjs
I am thankful that I have the ability to show some compassion for all people- good or bad.
I am also thankful that I am not afraid to show it either.

As should everyone. I can't say I almost cried when hearing of it but I couldn't believe it. I have felt horrible when hearing of a celebrity's death along with feeling horrible (and helpless) when hearing of something tragic happening to a child (hits you in a different way). Depending on the person or situation everyone is different...

Return to Top
#892183 - 01/23/08 06:54 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? TigerIze
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Smoothsailing - Welcome to BOL. As you can see, people are not afraid to express their opinions here, and attach others for expressing theirs.

While I don't agree with the extreemness of your comments, I too wondered why it was the leading story on the morning news. I think it should have been covered but to make it the lead story seemed a little much.

Return to Top
#892238 - 01/23/08 07:43 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? CRAatBOK
smoothsailing Offline
Wow, Tigerlze sure does have alot of free time to go and investigate how many posts I have had, and what they were all about!! What was I wearing when I posted my 10th one? Oh, and the post about Jimmy Buffett and his concerts, come on, that was obviously a joke!! Sounds like you really dug deep to come up with a response.

Let's not make my opinion to be more than it was, an opinion. I am simply stating that I think it is ridiculous that someone would say they "almost cried" when the heard the news. Yet that someone never said they "almost cried" when they heard of a deatch in our military. I also said it was ridiculous that this would be the top news story, almost 20 minutes worth, on CNN. With all the other more important things going on.

Kids dying, soldiers dying, the point trying to be made is that I don't understand why so many people get so worked up over something bad happening to someone, just b/c he was a well known "movie star". It happens all day long, every day.
Heck, I am a big Redskins Fan. If you remember, Sean Taylor was shot and killed earlier this year. That was two months ago. yet, last week, I was at a gas station and saw a car pull up with "in memory of #21, Sean Taylor RIP" written on the side of the car.... To me, that is UNREAL and that person needs help.

We spend too much time feeling bad and sorry for certain people, just b/c they are "famous"..... I guess it is even more sad that none of you agree...

Tigerlze, feel free to archive this one as well since you are so bored..

Return to Top
#892257 - 01/23/08 07:59 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
heath

Return to Top
#892259 - 01/23/08 08:00 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? kitten
A_G Offline
10K Club
candy

Return to Top
#892260 - 01/23/08 08:01 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? A_G
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
cane

Return to Top
#892262 - 01/23/08 08:02 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Sanders...

MAW, children, play nice now.

Return to Top
#892266 - 01/23/08 08:03 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Retired DQ
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
Sanders...

wrong thread, dq. jeez....

Return to Top
#892268 - 01/23/08 08:04 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? kitten
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: kitten
cane

sugar

Return to Top
#892270 - 01/23/08 08:05 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
baby

Return to Top
#892272 - 01/23/08 08:05 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Retired DQ
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
love

Return to Top
#892273 - 01/23/08 08:06 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
diaper

Return to Top
#892275 - 01/23/08 08:06 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
pewkie

Return to Top
#892285 - 01/23/08 08:12 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? smoothsailing
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
It happens all day long, every day.

When you die a sudden, untimely death, we'll make sure it gets the attention you deserve.

Return to Top
#892302 - 01/23/08 08:19 PM Re: Heath Ledger dead??? Becka Marr
smoothsailing Offline
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
It happens all day long, every day.

When you die a sudden, untimely death, we'll make sure it gets the attention you deserve.

Wow, what an unprofessional and immature response that was. I bet you are proud of yourself. Feel better now?

Return to Top
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7