Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#678792 - 02/02/07 07:44 PM CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment???
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
This is a new one to me, but I am having a little trouble finding specific clarification on completing a CTR. Have a business customer who called in for a large cash transaction to be prepared for a courier pick up and the teller has marked "b" in Section B for "mail deposit or shipment." This seems like the most obvious choice, but there are also some unusual circumstances that go along with this transaction. It just seems odd to me to be able to use this selection when you have a business entity and cash OUT. We regularly use this one for truly couriered IN deposits and I guess it would work the same for a cash out (I'm thinking change orders for customers and this kind of situation) but this one includes some resistance on the customer's behalf to provide information. It doesn't set well with me that an individual from the business calls in the transaction but of course he is not here to receive the cash and this makes it okay for no one's personal information to be on the CTR? Okay, maybe this is a rant (yes, a SAR is also being considered), but I can't find any additional clarification on if this is an appropriate use of this category in this situation and I have a call into my regulator for additional guidance, but any other FinCEN or other guidance you know of our there that I have missed (nothing in the FFIEC manual), please pass it along. Thanks for suggestions!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#678813 - 02/02/07 07:52 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Rangers Fan
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I would put the Business in Section A and the courier's information in Section B. JMO

Return to Top
#678865 - 02/02/07 08:16 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Sing A Little
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
What if it is the courier service we provide for the company on their other deposit transactions? I guess the fact that he didn't know what was in the locked bag (he never sees what is inside) and he is normally brining us checks and that this category doesn't seem to fit, but it appears to be the closest choice. Ahhhhhhh, I love BSA.....NOT!!!

Return to Top
#678967 - 02/02/07 08:51 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Rangers Fan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
BSA issues are one thing, but if you are using a bank paid courier, it sounds like you are operating a mobile branch and you might want to check on that...

Additionally, what type of an agreement do you have with this business to operate in this fashion. I see it no different than repetitive wire transfers and I would think that before you box up a bunch of cash and ship it to them that you would want adequate authorization security procedures in place.

Delivering this much cash outside of an armored car arrangement is also just asking for big trouble. Techinically, since this is not an armored car service, you should be identifying the courier in Part B.

"Identification Requirements. All individuals (except employees of armored car services) conducting a reportable transaction(s) for themselves or for another person, must be identified by means of an official document(s)."

Return to Top
#679199 - 02/02/07 10:20 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? rlcarey
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
Richard-Those questions have already been asked and of course I flinched when I heard some of the answers or heard that we were not able to answer those questions right off. Thanks for the input.

Return to Top
#679410 - 02/05/07 12:52 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Rangers Fan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
His name is Randy, for the record.

At the risk of being accused of "piling on," you have a significant problem here.
  • The box for mail deposit or shipment can only be used for cash deposits or shipments that use the U.S. Mail. It's not available as an excuse for missing information in Section B when your bank's courier is involved.
  • Your courier is an agent of the bank. As such, the courier must obtain the identification of the individual to whom the cash is transferred at the customer end of this transaction. The courier doesn't need to know the contents of the bag, but he does need to obtain Section B information before surrendering it.
  • All of the things that Randy has said about branch banking
  • Your use of the "mail shipment" excuse is inappropriate for "couriered in" transactions. If a customer uses an armored car service, use the armored car excuse. But if the bank pays for the service, the armored car excuse doesn't work.
  • You already are thinking SAR. If you don't get full and willing cooperation in filing the Section B entries, I recommend refusing them and filing a SAR.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#679598 - 02/05/07 03:58 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? John Burnett
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Ken Golliher and I just finished a webinar on CTR preparation. There will soon be a CD-ROM of the presentation and all our materials available in the BOL Banker Store. Check it out.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#704088 - 03/21/07 02:46 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? John Burnett
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
John and Randy, my bad on the name.

Return to Top
#704093 - 03/21/07 02:48 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? John Burnett
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
John and Randy, my bad on the name-please accept my apologies-little stressed when I did the post. Thanks to you both on the input and yes, piling it on is a good fit, but I saw the "pile" coming when I was presented with the information in the first place. You know when we did the clicker sessions at the Top Gun conference and the salary question came up? This is why no matter what we get paid, it is not enough!!

Return to Top
#705798 - 03/23/07 04:42 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Rangers Fan
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
If a customer is using a bonded courier service to deliver deposits we check the Armored Car block - should we be getting ID on the courier employees?

Return to Top
#705806 - 03/23/07 04:56 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Jerseygirl
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Jerseygirl, We do not require the IDs of the armored courier service employees who bring deposits on behalf of customers. If we would have to enter the ID in Part 2, why would there be a box on the CTR for Armored Car Service?

Return to Top
#705825 - 03/23/07 05:06 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? devsfan
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
But what if it is a courier service not an armored car?

Return to Top
#893117 - 01/24/08 07:17 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Jerseygirl
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
*bump*

I'm not sure if this post answers my question. Can it be re-looked at?

I have bank employees that go out & pick up customer deposits & bring them back to the bank.

What should be listed in Section B?

Return to Top
#893129 - 01/24/08 07:29 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? WonderWoman
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
That's a mobile branch. Your employee that picks up the deposit should verify the ID of the person who handed them the deposit.

I sure hope your not sending a regular employee out to pick up cash over $10,000. You're asking to get that person robbed. Earlier this month there was a courier here in Dallas shot and killed for the deposit he was couriering. He was armed and a trained constable for a county in Dallas and still didn't have a chance.

Return to Top
#893141 - 01/24/08 07:37 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Milby
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
What if they don't know what's in the bag? Do I need to require the courier to ID & get the social of every customer they receive a bag from?

Oh I think I opened a can of worms.

Return to Top
#893286 - 01/24/08 08:39 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? WonderWoman
Anonymous
Unregistered

We provided this service for some of our best customers at another FI I worked for BUT we only picked up NON CASH deposits in clear sealed bags. If we ever found cash in a deposit, the service was immediately cancelled for that customer.

I suspect your bonding company would have a problem with a bank employee couriering cash. Ours certainly did, hence why we would not accept cash.

Return to Top
#893372 - 01/24/08 09:40 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment???
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
I just received confirmation from FinCEN regarding the proper completion of these types of situations (Courier bringing in more than $10,000 in cash from a customer).

We must list our employee’s (the courier’s) information in Section B on the CTR.

He said verifying the ID of the person who handed the courier the deposit is not correct.

Return to Top
#893624 - 01/25/08 03:02 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? WonderWoman
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Several of our banks offer courier services for deposits; however, no cash is permitted. We pick up checks only (and most of these are converting to remote capture.) As previously mentioned, you should have a discussion regarding this service with your bonding company.

Return to Top
#893736 - 01/25/08 04:23 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? BrendaC
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
OK - bonding issue aside ...

I have CTRs that are due & am conflicted as to what should go in Section B. I disagree with FinCEN's take on the situation - that it should be our employee's information ...

... but do I have a choice?

Return to Top
#893782 - 01/25/08 04:51 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? WonderWoman
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
This is Treasury's rule and FinCEN is designated Treasury office with responsibilities for CTRs. While verbal guidance (even from FinCEN) is never 100% foolproof, I think you should go with it. I'm surprised though, I would have used ID of person providing bag to bank employee.

Return to Top
#893798 - 01/25/08 05:01 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? BrendaC
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
I like FinCEN's response. If a bank employee picks up a bag of cash from a money launderer, FinCEN wants to know the ID of the bank employee, but not the money launderer. Go figure.

Return to Top
#893925 - 01/25/08 06:42 PM Re: CTR and Mail Depsosit/Shipment??? Retread
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
FinCEN once told us that they wanted the actual customer info, NOT the mobile branch employee/courier. Go figure...

Like BrendaC, we stopped allowing cash in the deposits.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z