Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#895042 - 01/28/08 09:05 PM checking accounts for children
Tessie Offline
100 Club
We had a lady come in and wanted to open savings and checking accounts for her baby, 1yr, and 2yr old. The Savings I can see, but the checking accounts make me wonder why you would do that. Any rules on this?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#895057 - 01/28/08 09:26 PM Re: checking accounts for children Tessie
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I take it Mom was going to be the only signer on these accounts? I opened a child care account - it was basically a checking account in my name for me to dump money in each month to cover child care expenses. I can't think of any reason to open 3 separate accounts for babies unless she's receiving child support and wants an easy way to account for the money?

Our state laws support minors having an account with our bank, however, if they can't sign their name - they don't get a checking account.
Last edited by waldensouth; 01/28/08 09:27 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#895139 - 01/28/08 10:36 PM Re: checking accounts for children waldensouth
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Your bank has to decide whether it will open checking account for minors, after understanding what your state's laws offer on the subject. Even in states that permit minors' accounts and dispose of the problem of the "incapacities of minority," common sense dictates that you don't open an account for someone without a chance of understanding the import of a deposit contract, and you don't open an account for someone who can't sign a deposit contract in the first place.

You don't do customers a favor when you try to ignore the rules to accommodate their outlandish requests.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett