Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#89603 - 06/19/03 12:01 AM Safe Deposit Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can we allow a customer to assign a POD to their Safe Deposit box??

Return to Top
General Discussion
#89604 - 06/19/03 05:42 AM Re: Safe Deposit Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would file an SAR!!

Return to Top
#89605 - 06/19/03 12:50 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box
Tom C Offline
100 Club
South of Boston
I am assuming by POD you are referring to Payable on Death. The general answer is "no". This is not a deposit relationship. It is a rental agreement. You cannot pass on ownership of a safe deposit box by a POD arrangement any more than you can pass on an apartment or car rental in that manner. The only way to pass on safe deposit access that I know of is by co-owner or deputy. You should refer to your bank's safe deposit agreement and/or your state laws as they may differ from state to state.

Return to Top
#89606 - 06/19/03 12:57 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box
AMXSteve Offline
Wilmington, OH, USA
Co-ownership is the only way to pass on the lease on the box. Deputy, much like power of attorney, ends with the death of the actual renter(s).

Return to Top
#89607 - 08/17/04 07:13 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you do in the event of the owner's death when the owner of the safe deposit box lived in Georgia and his heir is elderly and lives in New York. (My brother and mother)

Chuck

Return to Top
#89608 - 08/17/04 08:08 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Someone has to be appointed as Executor of the Estate which gives them the legal documents along with a death certificate, the bank needs to release contents of the box.

Check state laws as some states want to make sure they collect taxes, if applicable, on the contents.

Return to Top