Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#888704 - 01/16/08 06:11 PM Educating a CRA Committee
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Now that we have crossed the threshold into the land of "intermediate small bank", we are establishing a CRA committee to help administer our CRA program. The makeup of the committee includes our compliance officer, our chief credit officer (for lending-related issues), our treasurer (for investment-related issues), our branch administrator (for service-related issues), and our marketing director (for support on both investment and service related issues, as well as marketing efforts to support CRA lending efforts).

I'm looking for some good resource to be able to give to these folks to help bring them up to speed on the objectives of CRA, as well as some specific definitions and evaluation criteria, such as the definition of "community development" and the definition of "qualified investment". Does anyone know of a good source for this, or am I stuck trying to write all this up myself?

Return to Top
CRA
#888758 - 01/16/08 06:56 PM Re: Educating a CRA Committee RVFlyboy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
the Federal Reserve of Dallas has arguably the best CRA resource in a small brouchure format - just google and download

Return to Top
#888791 - 01/16/08 07:14 PM Re: Educating a CRA Committee Pale Rider
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I use the Dallas site as well. San Fransisco's site also has tons of community development stuff.
This is a little dated but still gets the point across: http://www.frbsf.org/community/webresources/2001_QI_Final.pdf

Return to Top
#889115 - 01/17/08 02:50 AM Re: Educating a CRA Committee Mrs. Rizzo
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
I can provide you several helpful documents. First, I have written a synopsis of what community development means under CRA including some of the pitfalls. Second, I wrote an article that was published in Community Banker Magazine, Convert Your CRA Cost Center Into a CRA Profit Center" that explains how CRA performance evaluations should be developed and why they can actually help your bank become more profitable as well as achieve higher CRA PE's. If you want copies, just pm me with your e-mail address and I will send these pdf documents to you.

Return to Top
#889176 - 01/17/08 02:00 PM Re: Educating a CRA Committee Len S
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Thanks for the help. The Dallas Fed brochure was exactly what I was looking for as an initial introduction for the committee. Thanks Pale. Rizzo, your document will be helpful as well when we start discussing what is and what is not a "qualified investment". I'll definitely keep it on tap. And Len, I've sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer of additional materials that can help.

Return to Top
#896748 - 01/30/08 09:47 PM Re: Educating a CRA Committee RVFlyboy
Risky Business Offline
Washington State
It sounds like you are off to a good start. When we took the leap 4 years ago to what we thought would be "big bank", but then ended up being "intermediate small", we formed a CRA committee with a make up similar to yours, but added 2 board members. We started meeting every other month to educate the members on what CRA was and now we meet quarterly to discuss actual results vs. targeted goals in each of the various areas. We all agree it's one of the most hard working committee within the bank and the examiners are happy to see the communication within the different lines in the bank.

Return to Top