Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#896807 - 01/30/08 10:41 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside MaryRink
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
It's cold here, but not like that. It's been in the 40's and 50's during the day and the 30's in the evening. Sometimes it feels colder then that because of the desert/lack of humidity.

I've only been to Florida once (Jupiter area) and the humidity was hard to take. Of course it's humid in CA compared to here.

Spring here is nice, I just wish it lasted a little longer.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#896811 - 01/30/08 10:46 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside MaryRink
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
I've lived in MN all my life...yes on days like these (-15 at my house this morning) it does suck, BUT it's usually only this cold a few days out of the year...Besides, once the temp goes below about 10 degrees anything lower just doesn't seem to matter. It's just plain cold.

On the flip side, it keeps the riff raff out AND more importantly, the garbage doesn't stink! How can it? It's too stinking cold - no pun intended.

In all seriousness, most people who live in these climates take a winter vacation and the rest of the time we dress for it, are prepared and quite frankly it doesn't stop most from living their daily life. Remote start does help too!

I agree with the previous posters - Florida is nice in certain months, but who are you kidding - not humid in the summer months??? I've visited there A LOT! Are you smoking crack? I was down there in September and have never been so hot in my life!! I didn't think I would ever cool off....yup, it's sure easier to wear extra layers to stay warm than it is to try and cool off...even being naked still wouldn't help!

Looking forward to the weekend...highs in the mid to upper 20's!!! What are we going to do when it hits 40? Put on the shorts and BBQ!!!

Return to Top
#896824 - 01/30/08 11:03 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside MaryRink
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Our branch near Yellowstone National Park had to close early on Monday due to bad winter weather. That's saying something, considering they were doing just fine a few days earlier when they had over 5 feet of snow on the ground and the bank's time/temp sign said -40!

Return to Top
#896827 - 01/30/08 11:07 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside RebekahL CRCM
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Well, after reading this I don't feel nearly as cold - only 0 today when I got up with wind chills in the -20's and warmed to 14/15 during the day It was not good when it was single digits, the wind was 45/50 miles an hour last night, looked like a blizzard outside and our power went out Darn the condo got cold fast!! (but a good excuse to cuddle)

Puppy took care of her business pretty fast last night so there are benefits

Return to Top
#896860 - 01/31/08 12:37 AM Re: Baby it's cold outside MaryRink
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
I am northern MN also

Return to Top
#896879 - 01/31/08 01:03 AM Re: Baby it's cold outside Overboard
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
O-H-I-O here... So cold.... Lost siding last night...

Return to Top
#896880 - 01/31/08 01:03 AM Re: Baby it's cold outside Overboard
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA

Return to Top
#896915 - 01/31/08 02:48 AM Re: Baby it's cold outside RR Sarah
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
The main thing that would keep me from moving to Florida (or the South in general) is that I am deathly afraid of snakes.

Oooh. Chills and Shudders. I'm so afraid of snakes. I'm mean deathly afraid. We have alot of bull and rat snakes around here. Water snakes, too, during periods of heavy rain. I did come home from work one time.... walking up the walkway....heard a noise....looked up..... and there was the biggest snake hanging from the tree right over my head. It was amount 5 FEET long. I kept my eye on it and slowly walked backwards and .....get ready for it..... there was another one of those big $%*$(*%*%$* about a foot behind me on the ground. It was over 3 feet long. Jeez. I swear a part of me left my body and was watching from on top of my car! I jumped in my vehicle, drove 90 mph to where my husband was roping and yelled "SNAKES". He said where and I'm crying "everywhere". LOL

When I see one I just stay right where I'm at and watch it so my husband can haul it off when he gets home. One nite I watch one in a tree for over an hour before I realized it was a branch. Sheesh - I couldn't make myself get close enough to see it.

The best part was that I was the one that mowed the lawn and I wouldn't mow around trees after that. I'd mow about 6-8 feet around every tree and my husband had "cleanup".

Found out a couple of years later that my husband had been telling everyone if they found a snake to just please put it in our barn because we had a huge mice/rat problem on the farm. We couldn't have cats because of the dogs. Now the rule is that he has to carry it off at least one mile.

Return to Top
#896924 - 01/31/08 02:54 AM Re: Baby it's cold outside HRH Okie Banker
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
It was a bit chilly here today too!

I think it was all the way down to 72!

Return to Top
#896990 - 01/31/08 01:11 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Bimmer
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Poor baby!!!

In the teens today and 4 to 12 inches of snow expected tonight/tomorrow

Return to Top
#896995 - 01/31/08 01:20 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Blessed
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Detroit Lion

So cold you stuttered and repeated what you said, eh?

Return to Top
#896999 - 01/31/08 01:34 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside B_F
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
40 yesterday @ 5AM down to 25 by 8AM with 30-50 MPH wind

13 this morning @ 5AM with no wind but snow, sleet, and freezing rain tonight and tomorrow.

Return to Top
#897003 - 01/31/08 01:44 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside thomasj
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
17 this morning, around 40 today. Tonight we're back down around 25 with Freezing Rain moving in, they're saying around 1/4". I hate ice!

Return to Top
#897011 - 01/31/08 01:51 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside opsoff
Jalen Offline
Gold Star
Jalen
Somewhere on 2 wheels
16 now. Suppose to get between 3 and 16 inches of snow by Friday evening. 3 wouldn't be too bad but 16 freaks me out! Seems like they could do a better job of predicting. I'll be heading to the grocery after work. Hope the shelves aren't bare.

Return to Top
#897042 - 01/31/08 02:14 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Jalen
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
It is 1 degree above zero this morning. After yesterday this feels like a heat wave, could almost put on some shorts!

Return to Top
#897046 - 01/31/08 02:15 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Overboard
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Travel Girl, I was in Vegas earlier this month, and it was so ****ing dry, I couldn't take it. I guess I could never live in the midwest / west. I had to have chap stick and moisturizer with all the time just to feel human.

I guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Oh, and I think everyone from Minnesota is here now except you, lol. Feel free to call them back home so my commute will be cut in half again.

Return to Top
#897091 - 01/31/08 02:53 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside B_F
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
The only problem I have with the weather in Florida and in the South in general is that while we in the North suffer during the winters, we can put more clothes on to warm up. In the South when it gets hot in the summer, there's only so much you can take off legally.

The humidity and bugs are worse, too, especially in places like Arkansas and Louisiana. I lived in Arkansas off-and-on for 8 years. Whenever I go back I'm reminded of why I won't live there now.

Return to Top
#897101 - 01/31/08 02:59 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside MB Guy
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
MB - I'll let you keep the MN snowbirds there a while longer...makes my commutes better since they likely aren't very good drivers in the snow!

I'm headed to Savannah in a few weeks for a getaway...should be plenty warm enough to suit my tastes...

I hear you on the dry skin bit...not as bad here as CO and out west though. I was in Denver over New Year's and it was DRY even for me. Lots of lotion and things are a-ok.

I'll take the frigid cold over the freezing rain any day. When it gets this cold the weather systems with the snow and rain tend to get pushed further south leaving us dry...I guess there is some merit to the old adage "It's too cold to snow."

Up to the 20's this weekend...WOOHOO!

Return to Top
#897105 - 01/31/08 03:02 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Blessed
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: Detroit Lion

Holy Toledo!! Now I have to call home and see what damages were done at my parent's house. They live outside of Lyons.

So, it's 40 hear and as Sing pointed out, the lack of humidity makes it feel much colder. I cannot wait until summer: 110 is much more tolerable than this horribly cold weather!

Return to Top
#897125 - 01/31/08 03:15 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside Bacon Boy
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
I am only 10 min from Lyons, so that may be a good idea

Return to Top
#897254 - 01/31/08 04:32 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside travelgirl
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: travelgirl

Looking forward to the weekend...highs in the mid to upper 20's!!! What are we going to do when it hits 40? Put on the shorts and BBQ!!!

I'm in MN, too, and I can't wait until that first 40 degree day when we can grill out on the deck. That day is one of my favorite days of the year!

BTW...we're going to hit 15 today. The cold snap appears to be ending. YAY!!!!!

Return to Top
#897306 - 01/31/08 04:57 PM Re: Baby it's cold outside HRH Okie Banker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
The main thing that would keep me from moving to Florida (or the South in general) is that I am deathly afraid of snakes.

Oooh. Chills and Shudders. I'm so afraid of snakes. I'm mean deathly afraid. We have alot of bull and rat snakes around here. Water snakes, too, during periods of heavy rain. I did come home from work one time.... walking up the walkway....heard a noise....looked up..... and there was the biggest snake hanging from the tree right over my head. It was amount 5 FEET long. I kept my eye on it and slowly walked backwards and .....get ready for it..... there was another one of those big $%*$(*%*%$* about a foot behind me on the ground. It was over 3 feet long. Jeez. I swear a part of me left my body and was watching from on top of my car! I jumped in my vehicle, drove 90 mph to where my husband was roping and yelled "SNAKES". He said where and I'm crying "everywhere". LOL

When I see one I just stay right where I'm at and watch it so my husband can haul it off when he gets home. One nite I watch one in a tree for over an hour before I realized it was a branch. Sheesh - I couldn't make myself get close enough to see it.

The best part was that I was the one that mowed the lawn and I wouldn't mow around trees after that. I'd mow about 6-8 feet around every tree and my husband had "cleanup".

Found out a couple of years later that my husband had been telling everyone if they found a snake to just please put it in our barn because we had a huge mice/rat problem on the farm. We couldn't have cats because of the dogs. Now the rule is that he has to carry it off at least one mile.

Okie, we must have been separated at birth! LOL! Last year when I was in Florida I looked down at the pool before I went to bed and I swore that there was a snake half in and half out of the pool! I stood there and stared at that thing for a half hour before I figured out it was on of those pool noodles! It's a good thing I didn't scream!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2