Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#8978 - 01/17/02 05:52 AM Reg E Disputes - Police Report Required?
cboynefirstgabank Offline
100 Club
cboynefirstgabank
brunswick ga usa
Do we have the right to require our customers to provide us with a police report when they say their debit card has been stolen (with the PIN written on it of course)and it has been used at an ATM? Can we require a police report before refunding any money? I know we have zero claim rights here, and I probably already know the answer to this question...but... we have a case of a son getting a mom's card with the pin and wiping out her account. Of course she wants her money back and we want the son!!! We want her to complete a police report saying her card was stolen, but do we have the right to "require" her to do this? I do not believe we can under Reg E, but others opinons are if mom realizes we will prosecute her son she may drop her claim. Do any of you require anything other than the affidavit before refunding money?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#8979 - 01/16/02 06:09 PM Re: Reg E Disputes - Police Report Required?
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I believe you are correct in that you cannot require a police report. You might want to document her statement regarding the situation as part of the affidavit process. There is something about making a statement in writing which is being notarized in front of you that makes customers a little more careful about their allegations.

Return to Top
#8980 - 01/16/02 06:19 PM Re: Reg E Disputes - Police Report Required?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Generally speaking, whoever takes the loss completes the police report. You may have the customer complete an affidavit indicating that her card was stolen and whether or not she had knowledge of who stole it. Reg. E does not allow you to require a police report prior to investigating the customer's claim.
We do let our customers know that we prosecute when we discover who has done this and that their testimony may be needed.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#8981 - 01/16/02 07:43 PM Re: Reg E Disputes - Police Report Required?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Brenda and Louvera are correct.

1) You can't require the PD report.
2) You take the loss and you can go after the son.
3) Letting her know this, she may drop the claim (in which case I'd get that from her in writing) and she'll work it out with him.
4) She may (read this as I have been down this road) say "I won't file a report, but that boy needs to learn about this, good luck" in which case you need to decide if you are or are not going to prosecute.
5) Take away mom's debit card.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#8982 - 01/16/02 07:54 PM Re: Reg E Disputes - Police Report Required?
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If Mom won't file a police report, and you have evidence that the son took the money, check with your attorney about prosecuting the son for the theft and the mother as an accessory.

Return to Top