Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#900780 - 02/06/08 04:35 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Queen Bee
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: QueenBee
I dont understand giving up something for lent when what most people "give up" is something that is unhealthy anyway - so why 'give it up' for lent and not just 'give it up' period. If you are just 'giving something up' it doesnt have anything to do with religion so you should use Lent as an excuse.

I agree with trail hiker.

I hear what your saying. I should just be done with fast food for the health of me and my kids. I guess more of what I'm giving up is instant gradification.

My kids will just have to wait while I make something and i'll have to accept that there is nothing wrong with soup and a sandwich for dinner if that's all we've got time for and they are happy.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#900800 - 02/06/08 04:51 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? cheekEE
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: CheekEE Monkey
I guess more of what I'm giving up is instant gradification.

Is "instant gradification" like when colleges give people honorary degrees?

Return to Top
#900803 - 02/06/08 04:53 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? GuitarDude
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Guitardude, as a Christian Headbanger, I must charge you with sacrificing listening to the wholesome and tranquil spiritual tunes of Slayer this Lent. King Diamond too.

Return to Top
#900804 - 02/06/08 04:54 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Queen Bee
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: QueenBee
I dont understand giving up something for lent when what most people "give up" is something that is unhealthy anyway - so why 'give it up' for lent and not just 'give it up' period. If you are just 'giving something up' it doesnt have anything to do with religion so you should use Lent as an excuse.

I agree with trail hiker.

It's not about giving up something "unhealthy", it is about giving up sacrificing something you enjoy. Most people don't get serious about it and give up something that hurts, they give up something they should have given up anyway. I'm not Catholic, but I follow this tradition anyway. This year I'm giving up reading fiction for Lent. Instead I intend to read my Bible more each evening.

Return to Top
#900809 - 02/06/08 04:59 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? TheManofSteel
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Sentinel
Guitardude, as a Christian Headbanger, I must charge you with sacrificing listening to the wholesome and tranquil spiritual tunes of Slayer this Lent. King Diamond too.

I don't listen to King Diamond and I'm not Catholic, but I suppose I could try to give up Slayer for Lent. That is if you give up Judas Priest!

Can I still have a Slayer lyric as my tag line?

Return to Top
#900815 - 02/06/08 05:04 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
The infamous "they" say that it generally takes 30 days to change a habit. The 40 days of lent is a good time to re-evaluate and choose an area of life you want changed. I like the idea of giving up fast food. If you can break the habit for the entire 40 days of lent, then you've created the new habit of cooking well for your family. Most of us try to change too much at New Years which is why we don't succeed.

If you choose to study your Bible more for the next 40 days, you've created a new habit that should stay with you. I'm not Catholic, but I choose to take this time for a good hard look at my life and what I need to do to effect the desired changes.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#900819 - 02/06/08 05:07 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? GuitarDude
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: Sentinel

I don't listen to King Diamond and I'm not Catholic, but I suppose I could try to give up Slayer for Lent. That is if you give up Judas Priest!

Can I still have a Slayer lyric as my tag line?

GIVE UP PRIEST OMG

I'll try, ok, but I am leaving the Love Bites Tag Line and avatar of the Metallion. But that means no Slayer for you, no Ghost of War, no Raining Blood etc, for 40 days. Th etag line is ok, I guess. No human sacrifices or allowed either.
You will become a Heaven Metal rocker LOL.

Return to Top
#900839 - 02/06/08 05:23 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? TheManofSteel
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Hey now, just because I listen to metal doesn't mean I'm not a Christian! I like Slayer and other bands with dark themes, I just never bought into their image.

OK, it's a deal! I have quite a bit of "Heavenly Metal" I can listen to. Besides Stryper , there is Mortification, Sacrament, Rez Band, Deliverance, Living Sacrifice, etc.

OH SNAP! I am going to have to change some of the ringtones on my cell phone to non-Slayer tunes.

Return to Top
#900842 - 02/06/08 05:24 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? GuitarDude
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I'll give up meat. It was beginning to annoy me anyhow.

Return to Top
#900843 - 02/06/08 05:26 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? GuitarDude
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: CheekEE Monkey
I guess more of what I'm giving up is instant gradification.

Is "instant gradification" like when colleges give people honorary degrees?

Or an online degree from Sally Struthers!

Return to Top
#900855 - 02/06/08 05:35 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? pjs
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: pjs
I'll give up meat. It was beginning to annoy me anyhow.

Don't befriend the cow before you eat it! Then it can't annoy you.

Return to Top
#900867 - 02/06/08 05:41 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Angel Eyes
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
I am giving up a certain vice...

all the lucky ladies and dudes posing as ladies out there in cyber land will surely be upset(sorry Pale)

also going to smile more....
especially as I walk past homeless people and try to ignore their cries for help...

Return to Top
#900868 - 02/06/08 05:42 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? doobydoobydoo
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDoo

all the lucky ladies and dudes posing as ladies out there in cyber land will surely be upset(sorry Pale)

especially as I walk past homeless people and try to ignore their cries for help...

Poor Baily

Return to Top
#900872 - 02/06/08 05:45 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? #Just Jay
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant

Poor Baily

he's gonna kick your bum for leaving out the "e".... run while you have the chance.

Return to Top
#900880 - 02/06/08 05:50 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? doobydoobydoo
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes

pineapples?

Return to Top
#900882 - 02/06/08 05:52 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? kitten
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
yeah, it's the lack of an "E" that makes me want to smack him...

Return to Top
#900884 - 02/06/08 05:54 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Bailey.
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Opps! Did forget the 'e' again?

my bad

Return to Top
#900888 - 02/06/08 05:56 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? #Just Jay
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
it DEFINITELY wasn't the implication that i'm a dude posting as a lady...

::SMACK SMACK::

Return to Top
#900896 - 02/06/08 06:02 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Bailey.
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I think I'm gonna give up making up false names and tricking people... even though it is kinda fun.

Return to Top
#900899 - 02/06/08 06:05 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Clown Boy
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: Clown Boy
I think I'm gonna give up making up false names and tricking people... even though it is kinda fun.

But WHY?!

Return to Top
#900903 - 02/06/08 06:09 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Ops
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
This is an excellent explanatation of why people give up things such as fast food, smoking, certain types of entertainment, etc.:

"When done conscientiously, giving things up is an excellent way for us to reflect on our life and develop our spirituality. By giving up certain excesses, we are assessing what the physical pleasures really means for us. We realize that bodily pleasures are only temporary and that they cannot bring us lasting happiness. Giving up excesses helps us to focus on the more important things in lifeā€“our relationships with ourselves, family, friends, the poor in the world, and God."

So yes, while giving up fast food or not engaging in certain "sinful" activities come as a "No Duh!" viewpoint, by giving these things up it allows you to focus on the important things in life.

Return to Top
#900908 - 02/06/08 06:13 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Ops
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Originally Posted By: Ops
Originally Posted By: Clown Boy

But WHY?!

You know, some people just don't appreciate all the hard work that goes into something that.

Return to Top
#900915 - 02/06/08 06:18 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Clown Boy
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
I will continue to chain smoke, drink like a fish, and eat as much fast food as possible though...

Return to Top
#900931 - 02/06/08 06:33 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Clown Boy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Not reaching a goal that one sets for oneself can be frustrating.

That's why I don't set any for myself, I can't be let down.

As a result, I'm a perfectly sane and well adjusted individual.

Return to Top
#901038 - 02/06/08 08:23 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Peepers
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
Not reaching a goal that one sets for oneself can be frustrating.

That's why I don't set any for myself, I can't be let down.

As a result, I'm a perfectly sane and well adjusted individual.

say again? HA!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3