Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#901046 - 02/06/08 08:29 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Peepers
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I don't get ashes anymore, as I don't consider myself so much "catholic" as I do "christian". But, I do fast. Whenever I feel hungry, I remember it is a small discomfort compared to the 40 days of fasting Jesus did, and the pain He endured on the cross.

I also try to remember to do something more positive, rather than giving up something. Giving up stuff turned out to be too easy, so it was really not much of a sacrifice. But, for instance, the other day, someone brushed me off, and I was really insulted. I started to get angry. Then I just talked myself into letting it go. I figured I was just over reacting, and maybe he just had a bad day. Today, that same person called me up. He did have a bad day, but could feel my hurt and apologized for being so short with me. I feel much better.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#901062 - 02/06/08 08:40 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? #Just Jay
stoked Offline
100 Club
stoked
inside
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
I am giving up being Catholic for Lent

Ha! I gave that up for Lent about 12 years ago. Just about the only resolution I've ever stuck to!

Return to Top
#901255 - 02/07/08 04:24 AM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? stoked
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'm going to give up being so nice

Return to Top
#901549 - 02/07/08 06:30 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? HappyGilmore
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Well said neo.... I am giving up fast food, which will prove difficult since we eat it so often, and I LOVE it.. No tto mention my husband will still want it (I got him Taco Bell last night).

Return to Top
#901569 - 02/07/08 06:49 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Blessed
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I am giving up all soda, and recommitting myself to more daily physical activity. Lent is a wonderful opportunity to look inward, make sacrifices by giving up something enjoyed, and/or make changes for the positive. As someone else said above, 40 days is a long enough time period to truly purge a negative habit as well as make new positive things a habit. For those of you who think it is silly and stupid to "give up" something, that's your right to that opinion, but kindly have respect for those of us who take this season very seriously in our religion. Thanks.

Return to Top
#901572 - 02/07/08 06:51 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? BurntSienna
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I'm giving up celibacy.

Return to Top
#901818 - 02/07/08 09:55 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? The Incredible ComplyGuy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
I'm giving up celibacy.

The sacrifice is supposed to be on your part, not on everyone else's.

Return to Top
#901835 - 02/07/08 10:12 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? Sinatra Fan
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
I'm giving up sanity. Oh, wait, I did that years ago.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#902988 - 02/11/08 11:02 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? B_F
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
I gave up anger. I found alot of things annoyed me and it turned into anger or being mad. I was going to give up my Starbucks addiction but after a lecture from my Priest, I decided that giving up coffee wasnt as tough as letting go of being grump, angry and mad.

Return to Top
#903112 - 02/12/08 02:52 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I seem to recall from my cathiolic school days that if you tell everyone what sacrifice you are making, it is no longer a sacrifice. so, mums the word here...

Return to Top
#903153 - 02/12/08 03:37 PM Re: It's Ash Wednesday - are you giving anything up? HappyGilmore
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
I think you are thinking about Birthday wishes Happy..

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3