Not withstanding all that has been said, Ben Franklin did put it best:

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#90190 - 06/25/03 07:20 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Awesome Bill's #1 Fan Offline
Awesome Bill's #1 Fan
Jackson, Michigan
Dittos Zibatsu! We cannot depend on other countries in the world to make our foreign policy. Been there, done that, for years we followed that road that and we all know what that got us. We are the leaders of the free world and we need to start acting like it. I cannot feel safe letting, lets say the French government, or some tiny little country I've never heard of, determine what we should do, afterall they may have ulterior motives. They are looking out for their best interests, which may not be the same as ours.

United We Stand, Strong!

(Hit a little nerve there, I'll get off my soap box now)

Return to Top
#90191 - 06/25/03 07:33 PM Re: Salute to our troops
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Not withstanding all that has been said, Ben Franklin did put it best:

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

I saw that as an Albert Einstein quote once. I agree with it, but peace is not a despot gassing his people or a Nazi killing Jews.... Its like they say in the legal profession: a bad settlement is better than a good trial. That is not to say that you should never go to trial. There is no good war, but there are justified wars. There was no peace in Iraq just as there was no peace in pre-WWII Germany.

All of this is just IMHO.

Return to Top
#90192 - 06/25/03 07:35 PM Re: Salute to our troops
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

This is getting way to deep for a Wednesday afternoon.

Maybe we need a Deep Wednesday to complement our Friday Frivolity.

Return to Top
#90193 - 06/25/03 07:58 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
How about a Fat Tuesday instead?

I thank God every day that I live in a country that allows me to express my opinion about the way things are done. I just wish people (and I'm targeting war protesters in particular from my soapbox) would realize that while they have the right to free speech, everyone else in the country has the same right - and we can choose to disagree with them!

On that note - if someone in the public eye (actors, musicians, etc.) chooses to use their public position to tell me what their political views are, they shouldn't be offended and whine when I choose to disagree with them publicly, and when I choose to prove my disagreement by not going to their movies, and refusing to buy their records or listen to radio stations that play their music!

That also works both ways. I shouldn't expect my local movie theater or record store to pull the product off their shelves just because I don't like the artist's political views. If one of us is free and has rights - then we all should!

Return to Top
#90194 - 06/25/03 08:05 PM Re: Salute to our troops
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
That's exactly right, Lestie. I work at a bank, and I have to be careful what I say. I might have to suffer certain consequences if I'm not careful. It's the same with artists, actors and other entertainers. They entertain for a living....in the public eye. They must watch what they say or be prepared to suffer the consequences. For me, it might be a repremand, a demotion or a pink slip. For them, it might be lost revenue due to boycott. Yep....freedom of speech IF you're prepared to deal with what might follow!!

Return to Top
#90195 - 06/25/03 08:21 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

On that note - if someone in the public eye (actors, musicians, etc.) chooses to use their public position to tell me what their political views are, they shouldn't be offended and whine when I choose to disagree with them publicly, and when I choose to prove my disagreement by not going to their movies, and refusing to buy their records or listen to radio stations that play their music!

You wouldn't specifically be refering to a certain female lead singer from your home state would you

I agree totally with your whole sentiment it always amazes me how many celebrities seem to think that their artistic talents elevate them to the status of statesmen/women whose opinions should be given the same esteem as political leaders. Most of these entertainers are not college graduates and those that are do not have a degree anywhere near the background to support those opinions.

That said I'm proud of our fighting men and women who put their lives on the line to make gaurantee the rights of everyone in this nation to say what they want no matter how idiotic they may sound.

Return to Top
#90196 - 06/26/03 08:22 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Totally awesome
I shared it with all my friends
Thank you for sharing!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2