Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#90164 - 06/20/03 02:57 PM Salute to our troops
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
This takes a minute to load, but is an excellent salute to our troops. The music is wonderful. Enjoy. Slide Show

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#90165 - 06/20/03 03:25 PM Re: Salute to our troops
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
WOW!!

Return to Top
#90166 - 06/20/03 03:44 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Thank you Bob, that was awesome to share....

Return to Top
#90167 - 06/20/03 03:48 PM Re: Salute to our troops
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you. I needed that, and will share with my family and friends. If only more Americans would appreciate our troops.

Return to Top
#90168 - 06/20/03 03:56 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
May God bless America, and all who serve to protect her. Amen!

Return to Top
#90169 - 06/20/03 04:21 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
That was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that with us! What a good reminder for us all. (Now, where are my kleenex?)

Return to Top
#90170 - 06/20/03 04:54 PM Re: Salute to our troops
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Quote:

That was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that with us! What a good reminder for us all. (Now, where are my kleenex?)

Ditto here. A couple of friends of mine have sons over in Iraq right now, and my stepson is leaving in August for Marine bootcamp. Our family will then have at least one person who has served in all four branches of our military (my Dad-Navy, my husband-Air Force, his Dad and Grandfather-Army). We are very proud to support all of our troops, no matter where they are serving.

Return to Top
#90171 - 06/20/03 05:44 PM Re: Salute to our troops
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
When I was in Fairbanks there was a group of very young soldiers at the restaurant we ate at that night. We were watching them scrape pennies to pay for dinner (it was one of the groups birthday so they went out to a "nice" place) and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

I have to admit, the looks on these kids faces were priceless when a bunch of old ladies paid for their dinner (I'm not ancient but at 40...I'm sure they put me in the old lady category) If I were fabulously wealthy, or I'd budgeted more into my public relations budget...I'd do that every night!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#90172 - 06/20/03 05:49 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

Return to Top
#90173 - 06/20/03 06:05 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My best friend used to do that sometimes. We'd go out to dinner and he'd tell the waiter to add someone's bill onto his and he'd pay for it. We'd leave and they wouldn't even know it yet. I thought that was incredible.

Return to Top
#90174 - 06/20/03 06:45 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I can't help it, but many a time I get a lump in my throat when the flag goes by in a parade, or I hear the National Anthem. My husband makes fun of me, but I am just an ol' softie! We are so lucky to live in this land, and I hope I NEVER take it for granted.

Return to Top
#90175 - 06/20/03 08:10 PM Re: Salute to our troops
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Man, that was incredible. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Return to Top
#90176 - 06/24/03 03:51 AM Re: Salute to our troops
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
When I came home from Vietnam in 1969, there were no parades, no fan fair, no flag waving. My wife was the only one at the airport to greet me. As I walked the corridors of the airport in my uniform and jump boots, no one said anything to us as if we were outcasts. It was sad that so few cared for those who fought and died so far away. I am so glad that as a nation, we have come overcome that, and firmly stand behind everyone who serves our country regardless of where they may be. May God protect them all and return them home at last.

Return to Top
#90177 - 06/24/03 04:02 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

When I was in Fairbanks there was a group of very young soldiers at the restaurant we ate at that night. We were watching them scrape pennies to pay for dinner (it was one of the groups birthday so they went out to a "nice" place) and one of my friends suggested that our collective banks grab the bill. We had the waiter run it up between the three of us as a gift from the bank's.

I have to admit, the looks on these kids faces were priceless when a bunch of old ladies paid for their dinner (I'm not ancient but at 40...I'm sure they put me in the old lady category) If I were fabulously wealthy, or I'd budgeted more into my public relations budget...I'd do that every night!

My brother is in the Air Force stationed in Fairbanks (currently in Korea). Thanks for supporting our troops in a most personal way.

That video was so moving, I reached for my kleenex before it got to the third or fourth slide. I'm forwarding the link, I know a lot of people that will be moved by it. We are so lucky to live in a country where others are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice so that we live in freedom. It will never cease to amaze me.

I love that Army commercial they have out now that says, "Every generation has it's heros, this one is no different."

Return to Top
#90178 - 06/24/03 04:10 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Awesome Bill's #1 Fan Offline
Awesome Bill's #1 Fan
Jackson, Michigan
I was so moved by the video, I forgot to sign in before I made my reply. I'm the anonymous post right above this one.

Return to Top
#90179 - 06/24/03 05:28 PM Re: Salute to our troops
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thanx, Bob!! That was awesome. My Dad (rest his soul) was a WWII veteran. He was always proud of the fact that he joined the army air corp BEFORE the war began. He would've loved to see this presentation.

Return to Top
#90180 - 06/25/03 01:38 PM Re: Salute to our troops
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

When I came home from Vietnam in 1969, there were no parades, no fan fair, no flag waving

Bob, next time I'm in Dallas...I'm buying you dinner!

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict. Vietnam was controversial in many minds, but the US should be ashamed about the way we treated our vets afterwards. Thanks for being there for our country Bob!

Return to Top
#90181 - 06/25/03 01:42 PM Re: Salute to our troops
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict.

That is such a fine line. I do not know how you protest a war without affecting those serving? Do you think that those who protested the latest war, but said they do support the troops, have sent CARE packages or supportive letters...or something to evidence that?

Return to Top
#90182 - 06/25/03 02:01 PM Re: Salute to our troops
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I think you protest through your political avenues...write congress...holler at the president, but once we go into war, you need to get off the street corner with your signs and get down to the local armed services charity of your choice, and be there for the troops.

But then again, what do I know....I refuse to order freedom fries...I eat FRENCH fries at some point it just gets silly.

Return to Top
#90183 - 06/25/03 02:16 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I think it's such a shame that people can't learn that protesting a war, shouldn't mean protesting the men and women who are serving in the conflict. Vietnam was controversial in many minds, but the US should be ashamed about the way we treated our vets afterwards.

This is also the way I feel. Although I must admit, I did not agree with going to war without UN support (which we most likely would have had if we had not waited so long) but I have always had the utmost respect for the troops.

I come from a military family. My father served as a medic during Vietnam. I learned at an early age that there is a great and distinct difference between those making the decision to go to war and those fighting in it.

Return to Top
#90184 - 06/25/03 03:20 PM Re: Salute to our troops
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I did not agree with going to war without UN support

The only reason we did not have UN support was because of holdouts who have substantial financial holdings in Iraq. There may have been good reasons for not going into this war (only time will tell), but I do not think we should take our marching orders from the UN. Like someone once said, there is not a French or Russian Capitol that has to approve decisions sent from Capitol Hill to the White House.

Return to Top
#90185 - 06/25/03 03:37 PM Re: Salute to our troops
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I believe if we had went to war sooner, we would have had UN support. But we joined a group, we should play by the rules. We just waited too long.

Return to Top
#90186 - 06/25/03 04:02 PM Re: Salute to our troops
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
No offense, but I think that logic is a little weak when it comes to national security. I don't care what group we join, if our national security is at risk, we act with or without them. (and I am not necessarily talking about our latest skirmish) Show me where in our constitution, any laws of the U.S., or our agreement to join the UN that we said we would not go to war without UN approval?

Now back to the current war. Maybe the problem is not so much with the US (and its allies) breaking with the UN, but the UN pussyfooting around with 14 or 15 different resolutions--lines in the sand that they kept moving. ("I dare you to step over this line--ok, now, I double dare you to step over this line....ad nasuem.) Saddam was playing the UN for fools...Obviously, we were not privy to the security briefings the White House got, but I'm glad they finally said to the UN--you said if Iraq did not "fully" cooperate, there would be severe consequences--if you aren't willing to do it, we are!

Return to Top
#90187 - 06/25/03 05:47 PM Re: Salute to our troops
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I'm with zaibatsu.

and

God bless America!!!

Return to Top
#90188 - 06/25/03 06:59 PM Re: Salute to our troops
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Z, I don't think it's necessary to "support" the troops in any of the ways you suggest (or any other for that matter). But to equate the troops with who are sent to fight the war with the policy of the government that sent them there is wrong.

The objectionable, down-right despicable conduct towards military personnel returning from Vietnam (or in general during that time) was labeling decent, hard-working, principled men and women in the armed forces as "baby-killers," "fascists," etc.

The anti-war movement in the United States in the forgot that they weren't the only people who could have convictions or principles. They compounded that error by attacking, not the people who made the policy that brought the war, but instead epople whose only "crime" was believing that when their country called, it was their duty to respond.

I still don't know whether the war in Iraq meets the criteria for a "just war." But I do know that I am proud of the people who went to Iraq because they thought that it was their duty to do so, and I feel privileged that such fine young men and women are willing to defend my freedoms (and my skin, for that matter).

This is getting way to deep for a Wednesday afternoon.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2