Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#901864 - 02/07/08 11:09 PM Is this Home Equity Loan reportable?
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
I have a home equity loan, whose purpose is debt consolidation, which would normally not be reported on HMDA. However, part of the debt consolidation is to pay off a home equity line of credit (which we don’t report), and that home equity line was used for home improvement. Is this considered a refinance, therefore, HMDA reportable? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#901870 - 02/07/08 11:14 PM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? Marnie
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I'd say if you have documentation that the loan being satisfied and replaced was for home improvement and not a purchase loan, you could not report it for HMDA.

Return to Top
#901873 - 02/07/08 11:30 PM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? Mrs. Rizzo
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm at home so I don't have my GIR here but I seem to recall on a recent thread Dan confirmed that this would not be reportable. You have to be paying off the home improvement directly, not once removed, for a loan to be considered home improvement.

Return to Top
#901876 - 02/07/08 11:40 PM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? Marnie
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
If the existing HELOC is being paid off (as opposed to being paid to zero) and was secured by a dwelling AND your new home equity loan is also secured by a dwelling (same borrower/not temporary financing) then you'd have a refi.

Return to Top
#901877 - 02/07/08 11:49 PM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? Cowboys Fan
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm with CF on this one - if you're closing the HELOC, it's a reportable refinance.

Return to Top
#901888 - 02/08/08 12:28 AM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? hmdagal
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
Thanks to all. I do believe it is a refi as well.

Return to Top
#902064 - 02/08/08 03:56 PM Re: Is this Home Equity Loan reportable? Truffle Royale
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
I'm at home so I don't have my GIR here but I seem to recall on a recent thread Dan confirmed that this would not be reportable. You have to be paying off the home improvement directly, not once removed, for a loan to be considered home improvement.

You are correct that this would not be a HI loan, but as CF and hamdgal alluded to, it could very well be a refinancing if the HELOC was closed.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM