Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#902134 - 02/08/08 04:55 PM Lawmaker with too much time on his hands?
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I think some lawmaker has a little too much time on his hands.

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don't be offended. He says he never even expected his plan to become law. "I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi," said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he'd probably have a tough time under his own bill.

Read Article

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#902139 - 02/08/08 04:59 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? buggs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Seems to me that the number one problem in Mississippi is lawmakers wasting taxpayer money and time on stupid things.

Return to Top
#902550 - 02/11/08 04:43 AM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Seems to me that the number one problem in Mississippi is lawmakers wasting taxpayer money and time on stupid things.

And are we not a government by the people, for the people, and of the people?

Overeaters have a choice now. They can move. They can quit overeating. Or they can suck it up and kill themselves in their own private homes.

Return to Top
#902673 - 02/11/08 04:08 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
And who makes the decision on what is obese, the 95 pound teenager that waits on them?

Return to Top
#902677 - 02/11/08 04:14 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? kms
A_G Offline
10K Club
Obesity is defined by the CDC using the BMI. Although the BMI is not perfect it's probably a good starting point.

Return to Top
#902680 - 02/11/08 04:17 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Jokerman

Overeaters have a choice now. They can move. They can quit overeating. Or they can suck it up and kill themselves in their own private homes.

The difference here is that this is one lawmaker making the proposal for the law, not an issue on a ballot for the people to decide on.

Return to Top
#902709 - 02/11/08 04:55 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Well, at the guy has some integrity. He admits that he would probably be one of the people banned by his own law.

P.S. This was meant as a joke, folks. No need to get all riled up.

Return to Top
#902806 - 02/11/08 06:57 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee

No. "We" are a people governed by special interests groups, corporations and the dim-witted fools that are congregated in one place to promote the interests of those that put them there.

The government no longer represents the best interests of the people, in general, but of the few people that have the most influence and, usually, money.

MJ

Return to Top
#902807 - 02/11/08 06:58 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

The difference here is that this is one lawmaker making the proposal for the law, not an issue on a ballot for the people to decide on.

But I thought the people are not equipped to vote directly and need to told what is right and what is wrong.

Return to Top
#902810 - 02/11/08 07:01 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
buggs Offline
Power Poster

The People already had their vote when they elected him as their representative. Maybe they'll think twice at the next election.

Return to Top
#902812 - 02/11/08 07:05 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? buggs
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Did you also hear about the guy who was eating at a buffet with his wife's cousin and the serve told him they'd have to leave before making another trip through the buffet because "Y'alls eat too much"?

Return to Top
#902820 - 02/11/08 07:19 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

For those not in on the joke, the above was roughly Bengalsfan's response to yet another infringement of liberty and property rights - the use of the force of law to prohibit smoking in privately-owned establishments. He had no problem with that intrusion, yet this one is stupid.

Return to Top
#902833 - 02/11/08 07:48 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Ah, I seek Jokerman. Thanks for the explanation. It's always good to have people around with long memories. Keeps us honest, or at least gives a chance to stay honest.

Return to Top
#902867 - 02/11/08 08:34 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
the use of the force of law to prohibit smoking in privately-owned establishments. He had no problem with that intrusion, yet this one is stupid.

The major difference between the two, however, is that the calories a person is consuming don't drift over to other tables and affect the rights and health of other people.

Return to Top
#902873 - 02/11/08 08:38 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

For those not in on the joke, the above was roughly Bengalsfan's response to yet another infringement of liberty and property rights - the use of the force of law to prohibit smoking in privately-owned establishments. He had no problem with that intrusion, yet this one is stupid.

My being obese and eating next to you does not affect you. Someone smoking next to me DOES affect my health.

Return to Top
#902892 - 02/11/08 09:05 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I see your point, since we regularly compel people to go to restaurants.

Return to Top
#902901 - 02/11/08 09:13 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Blade Scrapper
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
we regularly compel people to go to restaurants

No, we just protect their health once they go there. Restaurants and other places that serve food or drink have to abide by many health regulations as a condition of being granted a license to serve the public. This is just one more.

Return to Top
#902913 - 02/11/08 09:26 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Yossarian
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
C'mon Yoss, there's a difference. Those health regulations you refer to are intended to protect restaurant patrons against potentially deadly food-borne diseases or poisons that the patrons may not be able to detect.

Most people (overweight or not) have an idea of whether they're eating too much.

Return to Top
#902918 - 02/11/08 09:30 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? rainman
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
And let's also keep in mind that there is also a glandular connection to obesity in some people. If anything, proposed law is a knee-jerk reaction to the present awareness of this condition.

Return to Top
#902922 - 02/11/08 09:34 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
My being obese and eating next to you does not affect you

sorry, but watching obese people eat offends me, especially if it is ribs or chicken...all that smacking, slurping, teeth-sucking...ewwwww

so yes, it does affect me

Return to Top
#902929 - 02/11/08 09:41 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? HappyGilmore
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
At least they have teeth.. my FIL gums the above foods clean.

Last edited by Ops; 02/11/08 09:42 PM.
Return to Top
#902930 - 02/11/08 09:41 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? rainman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Those health regulations you refer to are intended to protect restaurant patrons against potentially deadly food-borne diseases or poisons that the patrons may not be able to detect.

Most people (overweight or not) have an idea of whether they're eating too much.

You misunderstood my post. I am not defending any limit on eating too much. I was making the connection between smoking bans and other health regulations. There is no real reason to differentiate between food-borne and air-borne health threats.

Return to Top
#902935 - 02/11/08 09:45 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? Yossarian
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Sorry I misunderstood!

Return to Top
#902978 - 02/11/08 10:52 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
sorry, but watching obese people eat offends me, especially if it is ribs or chicken...all that smacking, slurping, teeth-sucking...ewwwww so yes, it does affect me

I'll sit this one out. OK, Happpy?

Return to Top
#903003 - 02/11/08 11:40 PM Re: Lawmaker with too much time on his hands? buggs
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...

...."shove it up your a$$, Fatty!"

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2