Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#902723 - 02/11/08 05:09 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: °X°
Originally Posted By: Fightin BlueHen
I did my taxes last night...I'm getting a decent refund, but that's because I use it like a savings account; I don't list any dependents.

That's very odd, for a banker. Why not claim dependents and put the extra funds in a savings account during the fiscal year?

Probably because I'm pretty odd for a banker...Good luck with that $20k.

Return to Top
#902724 - 02/11/08 05:12 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? FBH
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Wanna loan, X?

You wouldn't have to pay it if you didn't make it...

Return to Top
#902731 - 02/11/08 05:20 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
I owe $20K, help!

thats what you get for not reporting all of that income you earned as Londo Mollari from Babylon 5 at comic conn...

Return to Top
#902739 - 02/11/08 05:33 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? Bacon Boy
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy
X, are you kidding?

No, please donate.

Return to Top
#902741 - 02/11/08 05:35 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? FBH
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
I did my taxes last night...I'm getting a decent refund, but that's because I use it like a savings account; I don't list any dependents.

That's very odd, for a banker. Why not claim dependents and put the extra funds in a savings account during the fiscal year?

Probably because I'm pretty odd for a banker...Good luck with that $20k.

That's what I thought, too. I just love it when my suspicions are confirmed.

Return to Top
#902743 - 02/11/08 05:39 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? Retired DQ
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
Wanna loan, X?

No loan, I've got the funds to pay - unlike the hen, I save during the year to pay at tax time, versus giving money the the government and getting some back with no interest. Actually, those that owe a reasonable amount are the smart ones with those that get a refund, well - they are not the smart ones.

Return to Top
#902746 - 02/11/08 05:42 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
X'ie called me smart!!!!

Return to Top
#902750 - 02/11/08 05:49 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Wanna loan, X?

No loan, I've got the funds to pay - unlike the hen, I save during the year to pay at tax time, versus giving money the the government and getting some back with no interest. Actually, those that owe a reasonable amount are the smart ones with those that get a refund, well - they are not the smart ones.

I just know I'd spend it if I got it in little increments every month. Since I already have 401(k), ESPP, and some other investments, my refund is usually for travel. I get it all at once, plan a few vacations, and have fun. I don't know how smart it is, but today, it works for me.

Return to Top
#902763 - 02/11/08 06:03 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? FBH
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
... but today, it works for me.

That is all that matters.

Return to Top
#902764 - 02/11/08 06:04 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? FBH
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
Me, too, Hen. I contribute mightily to my 401K, have a Roth and a traditional IRA, a savings account, and some mutual and stock funds. I use my refund ($3,000 this year) for vacation --- this year I'm taking 2 vacations ---- to Florida and an Alaskan cruise.

Return to Top
#902770 - 02/11/08 06:12 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
owe a reasonable amount

they already took more than a reasonable amount! anything else that I owe now is very unreasonable!

Return to Top
#902803 - 02/11/08 06:55 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? FBH
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Wanna loan, X?

I just know I'd spend it if I got it in little increments every month. Since I already have 401(k), ESPP, and some other investments, my refund is usually for travel. I get it all at once, plan a few vacations, and have fun. I don't know how smart it is, but today, it works for me.

So, you lack discipline when it comes to saving for vacations, etc. right? No wonder the government keeps coming up with new programs, you require them due to your lack of discipline like so many others. Why on earth would you give funds to the government, interest free, if that is not the case?

On the other hand, perhaps you are being smart in that if Hillary or Obama get into office as POTUS they will need the extra funds for programs; you know a redistribute of wealth so it’s good that you’ve arranged to provide it up front. As for your vacations, they will be the first to go as others that are less fortunate will be going, not you, starting next year. Also, you probably should go with Single and an extra $200 per pay period to assure that sufficient funds are available for government programs in 2009 and beyond.

Return to Top
#902808 - 02/11/08 06:58 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? Pepper's Sister
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Pepper's Sister
Me, too, Hen. I contribute mightily to my 401K, have a Roth and a traditional IRA, a savings account, and some mutual and stock funds. I use my refund ($3,000 this year) for vacation --- this year I'm taking 2 vacations ---- to Florida and an Alaskan cruise.

Enjoy those vacations, Sister, it's the last year for stuff like that - kiss your refunds goodbye when Hillary or Obama take over, but as you sit at home, think of all the stuff that the poor and lame will be able to purchase, plus vacations and health insurance in your name - but as always, it's better to give than receive!

Hopefully, you will be able to afford the travel channel.

Return to Top
#902813 - 02/11/08 07:06 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? rainman
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: rainman
Quote:
owe a reasonable amount

they already took more than a reasonable amount! anything else that I owe now is very unreasonable!

Now, that's a very bad attitude, rainman. PM your address and I'll put you in contact with Hillary or Obama people - exactly what about "it takes a village" don't you understand?

You need to get with the redistribution of wealth money train program! Oh, it will stop at your house, but only to load up, no deliveries, no refunds as it appears that you've been way too personally responsible. Tone it down and perhaps there will be government program in your future.

Return to Top
#902818 - 02/11/08 07:13 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Normally, I am writing a small check to Uncle, and getting that amount back (roughly) from the State. This year, however, with moving expenses and relocation payments that were grossed up for federal purposes, we are getting a subtantial refund.

Good thing, because my sump pump went out last week, and I am now paying through the nose to install new equipment and dry my basement.

Return to Top
#902821 - 02/11/08 07:21 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? °X°
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I'm getting a refund from Federal but I have to pay in on State. That bites

Return to Top
#902851 - 02/11/08 08:06 PM Re: Taxes - do you owe or not? Mrs. Rizzo
Bankerzrule Offline
100 Club
Texas
We anticipate a small Fed refund (we don't like to lend our money to Uncle Sam) and since we live in Texas- no State filing required.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2