Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#902630 - 02/11/08 03:12 PM Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Are these still issued by credit card companies? We're updating our cash advance procedures and were wondering if we should include them.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#902636 - 02/11/08 03:19 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? BBoyd
Jalen Offline
Gold Star
Jalen
Somewhere on 2 wheels
I just got some again last week. They went straight to the shredder!

Return to Top
#902695 - 02/11/08 04:35 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? Jalen
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
I receive them all the time - you might want to change the teminology to Convenience Checks.

Return to Top
#902700 - 02/11/08 04:40 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? BBoyd
DGH Offline
New Poster
I receive them on a regular basis, and into the shredder they go!. When I worked a teller line, we would not use them for cash advances, they could only be deposited. We would use the regular cash advance forms for draws.

Return to Top
#902775 - 02/11/08 06:20 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? DGH
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
I was receiving them from Bank of America for my credit card regularly, and it bothered me because then I had to worry about properly disposing of them.

I ended up calling BofA, and it turned out that if you ask them not to send them, they don't. And sure enough, they don't send them anymore.

But as to the original question, yes, they are still issued.

Return to Top
#903795 - 02/13/08 04:53 AM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? KrisH
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I guess I should've posed the question differently. I didn't want to know if BOL users received them - I wanted to know if they were still presented in your branches and/or if they were included in your cash advance procedures.

We jokingly refer to them as "instant debt" checks and they typically hit the credit card as a cash advance (interest-wise), so that's why I referred to them as that. In years past, when a client presented one, the teller was required to obtain an authorization - just like a cash advance. In more recent years, the authorization wasn't required and clients would typically be required to deposit them.

Return to Top
#903922 - 02/13/08 02:56 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? BBoyd
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Sure, customers bring them in from time to time. I have not seen one in years that require an authorization.

We simply treat them as checks and no more. No reason to include them in our cash advance procedures.

Return to Top
#905421 - 02/15/08 03:57 AM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? #Just Jay
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
Also, you can't place a Reg CC hold on them as a Class of Check.

Return to Top
#906845 - 02/19/08 07:59 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? cbinder63
DGH Offline
New Poster
My question to CBinder. Is there a part of Reg CC that says that these checks should not have holds placed on them? Given the fraud we have seen with checks, and no guarantee that the paying bank will honor them, why would you not place a hold based on local/non-local?

Return to Top
#906871 - 02/19/08 08:12 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? DGH
Jalen Offline
Gold Star
Jalen
Somewhere on 2 wheels
See 229.13(e)

Return to Top
#906963 - 02/19/08 09:17 PM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? Jalen
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can place a local/non-local case by case hold. You could not place an 'exception' hold with a reason of 'doubt collectibility' for ALL convenience checks just because you've had a history of returns with SOME convenience checks. Exception holds for reason to doubt collectibility can only be placed if you have reason to doubt collectibility on THAT ITEM or CUSTOMER, not an entire 'class of checks', ie the entire class of convenience checks. Does this help explain?

Return to Top
#907121 - 02/20/08 02:19 AM Re: Credit Card/Cash Advance Checks - still issued? #Just Jay
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
Sure, customers bring them in from time to time. I have not seen one in years that require an authorization.

We simply treat them as checks and no more. No reason to include them in our cash advance procedures.

Thank you. That's along the lines of what we were thinking.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett