Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#902974 - 02/11/08 10:48 PM Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!!
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
From an email my uncle sent me....

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. But one thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.
The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.
When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
Source: http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/?p=140
Dr. Mercola's Comments:
How many sodas have you had today? How about your kids? As of 2005, white bread was dethroned as the number one source of calories in the American diet, being replaced by soft drinks.
The average American drinks more than 60 gallons of soft drinks each year, but before you grab that next can of soda, consider this: one can of soda has about 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30 to 55 mg of caffeine, and is loaded with artificial food colors and sulphites. Not to mention the fact that it’s also your largest source of dangerous high-fructose modified corn syrup.
Let’s take a look at some of the other major components of a can of soda:

Phosphoric Acid: Which can interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, leading to osteoporosis or softening of the teeth and bones. It also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.
Sugar: It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar. Sugar is so bad for your health in so many ways, I even created an entire list outlining 100-Plus Ways in Which Sugar Can Damage Your Health
Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilispsy/seizures.
Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.
Tap Water: I recommend that everyone avoid drinking tap water because it can carry any number of chemicals including chlorine, trihalomethanes, lead, cadmium, and various organic pollutants. Tap water is the main ingredient in bottled soft drinks.
Clearly, the over-consumption of sodas and sweet drinks is one of the leading causes fueling the world-wide obesity epidemic.
One independent, peer-reviewed study published in the British medical journal The Lancet demonstrated a strong link between soda consumption and childhood obesity. They found that 12-year-olds who drank soft drinks regularly were more likely to be overweight than those who didn't. In fact, for each additional daily serving of sugar-sweetened soft drink consumed during the nearly two-year study, the risk of obesity jumped by 60 percent.
Here’s another sobering fact if you’re struggling with weight issues: Just one extra can of soda per day can add as much as 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a single year!
Other statistics on the health dangers of soft drinks include:

One soda per day increases your risk of diabetes by 85 percent
Soda drinkers have higher cancer risk. While the federal limit for benzene in drinking water is 5 parts per billion (ppb), researchers have found benzene levels as high as 79 ppb in some soft drinks, and of the 100 brands tested, most had at least some detectable level of benzene present
Soda has been shown to cause DNA damage – courtesy of sodium benzoate, a common preservative found in many soft drinks, which has the ability to switch off vital parts of your DNA. This could eventually lead to diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver and Parkinson's
If you are still drinking soda, stopping the habit is an easy way to improve your health. Pure water is a much better choice, or if you must drink a carbonated beverage, try sparkling mineral water with a squirt of lime or lemon juice.
There is absolutely NO REASON your kids should ever drink soda. None, nada, zip, zero. No excuses. The elimination of soft drinks is one of the most crucial factors to deal with many of the health problems you or your children suffer.
If you struggle with an addiction to soda, (remember, sugar is actually more addictive than cocaine!)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#902976 - 02/11/08 10:50 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Dip
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
MODS!! MODS!!

Please delete or modify this thread!!!

Dip is trying to bore us to death!!!

Return to Top
#902987 - 02/11/08 11:01 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! #Just Jay
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I actually slowed down in my soda consumption about a year ago. I decided I didn't want anything diluting the vodka in my bloodstream!

Return to Top
#902994 - 02/11/08 11:15 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! #Just Jay
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
My brother is addicted to Coca Cola. He literally drinks it all day, everyday! If it were a choice between eating or drinking coke, I really believe he would choose coke. And you can't say anything to him about it because he will bite your head off. He was having stomach problems a few months back and was gonig for testing. I tried to say something to him about maybe all the coke he drinks could have something to do with it and boy, did I get snapped at.

Return to Top
#902999 - 02/11/08 11:25 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Bones
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Sounds like an addict, Bones. One word: intervention.

Return to Top
#903012 - 02/11/08 11:56 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Bacon Boy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Studies show that inhaling a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen leads to eventual death.

Return to Top
#903036 - 02/12/08 01:54 AM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Blade Scrapper
sadie23 Offline
Platinum Poster
sadie23
between here & there, GA
I use to be really bad to drink cokes but I have cut my intake a lot. I use to drink 3-4 every day but now I can go days w/out one and have here lately. But I think I'll drink one now. All this talk about how bad coke is has got me all excited!

Return to Top
#903044 - 02/12/08 04:15 AM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! sadie23
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Sadie: Drop the can and step back from the cola, real slow and easy like...no quick movements....

Return to Top
#903054 - 02/12/08 11:39 AM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! 'Lil Freak!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I only drink club soda, does that count?

Return to Top
#903066 - 02/12/08 01:45 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Retired DQ
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Soft drinks upset my stomach so I don't drink them very often. I do like the occassional root beer float.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#903071 - 02/12/08 02:04 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Retired DQ
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

Only if there's vodka in it...

Return to Top
#903081 - 02/12/08 02:19 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I used to have something of a Coke addiction but have gotten away from it. Now I only like my Coke with Crown in it!

Return to Top
#903094 - 02/12/08 02:33 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Snow Bunny
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
I used to have something of a Coke addiction but have gotten away from it. Now I only like my Coke with Crown in it!

I'm with ya, Pooh!

Return to Top
#903096 - 02/12/08 02:35 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Dip
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Dip
... The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness. ...Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way. ...providing a further boost in metabolism.

I thought you were trying to convince people this was a bad thing?

Return to Top
#903156 - 02/12/08 03:39 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Blade Scrapper
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Swimware
Studies show that inhaling a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen leads to eventual death.

Return to Top
#903268 - 02/12/08 05:07 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Miscuit
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
This reminds me of a t-shirt I saw years ago.....

Eat right.
Exercise hard.
Die anyways.

Return to Top
#903285 - 02/12/08 05:14 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! grmasterb
A_G Online
10K Club
I come along but I don't know where you're taking me
I shouldn't go but you're wrenching dragging shaking me
turn off the sun pull the stars from the sky
the more I give to you the more I die

and I want you

you are the perfect drug
the perfect drug
the perfect drug
the perfect drug

Return to Top
#903294 - 02/12/08 05:21 PM Re: Coca-Cola is a horrible drug!!! Retired DQ
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

I heard on the radio this morning to mix fruit juice to club soda for that "soda fix". They said it was healthier that diet drinks and regular soda.

Return to Top