Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#903092 - 02/12/08 02:33 PM written notification and liability
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
In Reg E limbo here -

Section .11(b)(1) requires the customer to give sufficient info to the bank to identify the disputed transaction. This can be orally. Time clock starts here.

Section .11(b)(2) says the bank can require written confirmation, and Section .11(c)(2) says the bank can extend the investigation period to 45 c. days w/o giving provisional credit if written confirmation is not received w/in 10 b. days.

OK, so now I've come to the end of reading Sections .11 and .6, as well as the commentary for each, and I don't see this key answer -

***What if the bank has concluded its investigation, and still has not received the required written confirmation? Can the bank deny reimbursement to the customer based solely on this? And where on Earth is this addressed?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#903534 - 02/12/08 08:13 PM Re: written notification and liability Bailey.
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is no "requirement" that the customer ever give you a written confirmation. You still have to proceed.

Return to Top
#903608 - 02/12/08 09:07 PM Re: written notification and liability rlcarey
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
I don't think I was clear enough, sorry.

My bank imposes Reg E's option to require a written confirmation as a follow-up to oral notification. So if, by the end of the investigation period, the customer has not submitted that written statement, can the bank withhold reimbursement?

Return to Top
#903628 - 02/12/08 09:23 PM Re: written notification and liability Bailey.
C_Groat Offline
Salt Lake City, UT
The non receipt of the written statement by the 10th business day only affords you with not needing to issue provisional credit by the 10th business day, your decision to honor or deny must still be on the facts and not based on the receipt of a written letter.

Return to Top
#903955 - 02/13/08 03:20 PM Re: written notification and liability C_Groat
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree with C. You can ask for a written claim and that impacts provisional credit only. The claim goes on. You can't base the final outcome of the claim on something the consumer isn't required to do in the first place.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#905161 - 02/14/08 08:46 PM Re: written notification and liability Andy_Z
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Thanks to all!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z