Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#903159 - 02/12/08 03:41 PM Why people hate Yoko Ono
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Here's a great example of why people don't care too much for John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono. Singer/songwriter Lennon Murphy reports on her MySpace page that she is being sued by Ono to cease using her own name. Can you imagine getting a letter from someone telling you you're being sued for using your own name?

Read Article @ FoxNews.com

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#903248 - 02/12/08 04:50 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Bugs - did you see her at the Grammy's when George and Giles Martin won the award? All I could think of was ewwww, there's Yoko. It is a deep-seated hatred we children of the 60's and 70's have for her.

Return to Top
#903264 - 02/12/08 05:03 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono Snow Bunny
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
If Lennon Murphy is her birth name, why does she feel compelled to have it trademarked? It's my understanding that Ono would have no claim since she's using her birth name. Am I wrong?

Return to Top
#903274 - 02/12/08 05:10 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono grmasterb
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I'm not familiar with the details of this situation. The article makes it sound like Lennon is her given [birth] name. Arista's trademark action is probably just standard practice to protect their brand and "product."

Of course, we all know the media may have slanted this article to sell the news. So, who knows?
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 02/12/08 05:14 PM.
Return to Top
#903280 - 02/12/08 05:11 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
A_G Offline
10K Club
I read it that that is her birth name, but she professionally goes by Lennon. I think the record company trademarked the use of 'Lennon.'

Return to Top
#903283 - 02/12/08 05:13 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono Snow Bunny
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
Bugs - did you see her at the Grammy's when George and Giles Martin won the award? All I could think of was ewwww, there's Yoko. It is a deep-seated hatred we children of the 60's and 70's have for her.

No. I missed most of the Grammy's. Did they win for "Love?" What a great album and great mixing by Giles!

Return to Top
#903293 - 02/12/08 05:19 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Yes - they did win for Love. Ringo was on stage with them also. They also had the Cirque troup there performing part of the show. We saw the show the night after opening, and were at the red carpet event for the opening. It was a great night for a Beatles fan. Loved the show and love the album.

Return to Top
#903306 - 02/12/08 05:28 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono Snow Bunny
buggs Offline
Power Poster
My favorite moment on "Love" is the transition at the end of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" into "I Want You/She's So Heavy." I've not see the show, what's going on onstage at that point?
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 02/12/08 05:30 PM.
Return to Top
#903330 - 02/12/08 05:53 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I guess Yoko thought people had forgotten all about her (we had) and decided to do something truely brainless to bring her name back into the headlines.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#903346 - 02/12/08 06:10 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
My favorite moment on "Love" is the transition at the end of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" into "I Want You/She's So Heavy." I've not see the show, what's going on onstage at that point?

I don't remember a lot of specifics about the show - it's been over 18 months since we've seen it. It is a typical Cirque show - constant action and motion to amaze, with the added attraction of that great score. There are certain interludes during the show where chiffon-like curtains divide the sections of the theater and you see the silouettes of the Boys and hear them talking at recording sessions, and in interviews, etc. The show kept us thinking and piecing many of the bits together long after it was over.

If you're a fan - it is a must-see if you're ever in Vegas. I would definitely go back!

Return to Top
#903739 - 02/12/08 10:36 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono Snow Bunny
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I'm not a gambler, so Vegas holds absolutely no attraction to me. But I would like to see the show. I guess I'll have to wait for a DVD.

Return to Top
#903758 - 02/12/08 11:18 PM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I'm not a gambler either, but I'm going to LV in 2 weeks to see that show! I haven't been there in 10 years.

Oh, and I hate Yoko too. And I especially hate that hat she wore at the Grammys.

Return to Top
#903789 - 02/13/08 03:33 AM Re: Why people hate Yoko Ono buggs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Found out a bit more. It seems that Yoko is upset because Lennon Murphy has named her band, "Lennon." She says they started out as "The Lennon Murphy Band." She wasn't fond of the name, but the band couldn't agree on anything else, so it stuck. A few months later some her shows were publicized using the band's full name and others as "Lennon."

Murphy says, "There was never really any consistancy but there was well enough to justify stating that "Lennon" had been used in fact since 1997. When I signed with Arista Records in 2000 at the age of 18, a marketing decision was made to continue being known just as Lennon. In all honesty, I didn't care. I was just happy to sign a record deal, make an album, and pay my bills."

Now, that Yoko's caught wind of it, she wants Murphy to stop "tarnishing" John Lennon's name.

It's interesting to note that Murphy has the full support of John's oldest son, Julian. But any Beatles fan knows that there is no love lost between Julian and Yoko, who favors her own son with John, Sean, over Julian. Ah, aren't family squabbles a pain?

Return to Top