Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#901751 - 02/07/08 09:03 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update kitten
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA

So sorry. We had to put down our Springer and it was just horrible. We know that we made the right decision looking back, but it was so hard at the time. It was for the best for him though.

Hang in there!

Return to Top
#901869 - 02/07/08 11:13 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Bagweaver
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I know you will do the right thing, Skittles. You are in my heart as you make this tough decision.

Return to Top
#901922 - 02/08/08 11:47 AM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update MichelleDawn
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Oh Skittles, how hard it is to have oyur baby cat suffer. Keep us posted.

Return to Top
#901923 - 02/08/08 12:34 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Retired DQ
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK. Sam is at the still at the vet's office. There are now medications that can be given that basically work like dialysis. BF, the forcefeeding bothered me, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I kept picturing the poor geese that get force fed to fatten their livers. Basically they use a syringe and put some food in the back of their mouths several times a day.

We couldn't NOT give him a chance. The vet stated that if this works he could have several good years left. He has lost 75% of the function of his kidneys, but we don't know about the last 25%. If he has 18% he could live well, if it's only 2%, well you know. Right now we are giving the medication a shot to see what he has.

Maybe this is the right thing, maybe it's not. He's in great hands at out vet's office and I will be talking to them daily and we'll see what happens by Monday.

Return to Top
#901938 - 02/08/08 01:20 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Skittles
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Good luck to Sam.

Return to Top
#901997 - 02/08/08 02:49 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Bagweaver
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Good luck, Skittles.

Return to Top
#902100 - 02/08/08 04:24 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update B_F
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Good luck - it is possible for them to have a good life with decreased kidney function. My cat has kidney disease and is on medication and a special diet to slow down the progression. So far, he's holding his own and appears healthy and happy.

Return to Top
#902183 - 02/08/08 05:39 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update hmdagal
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Skittles, I hope this works and you get at least a few more years with her!!

Return to Top
#903155 - 02/12/08 03:39 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update corkygirl
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I brought Sam home last night and he looks pitiful. He will need 3 medications twice a day for the rest of his life - if this works. This morning we had to get up early to get a capsule down his throat an hour before we fed him breakfast. It was awful and took us 6-8 tries. Then we had to squirt this gel stuff in his mouth before I fed him and put some powder in his food - which he didn't eat. He did eat a little during the night, though. He is skin and bones and just looks miserable. My husband is now wondering if we made the right choice. We are very confused and upset now and don't know what the 'right' thing is. Also, we won't know for a few weeks if this is even working.

Sometimes pets are worse than children. At least a child of more than 4 years old or so can verbalize what is wrong.

Return to Top
#903202 - 02/12/08 04:20 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Sam will let you know what he wants you to do.

My cat actually comes to me for his twice a day pills. I put him on my lap, hold his mouth open, throw the pill down and hold his head closed and up until he swallows. Then he gets a couple of treats and some nice petting. The treats aren't on his diet, but they make the pill process so much easier that I don't care. Assuming Sam is on a low-protein prescription food, there are several brands out there - maybe there's a different one that he will eat. I used to have a recipe for a home made low-protein dog food, you may be able to find something similar for cats. It was a lot more economical than the prescription stuff, mostly potatoes, a little bit of chicken and some powdered vitamins.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#903207 - 02/12/08 04:24 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update hmdagal
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Skittles,

I am so sorry. I know how hard this is. I have been down the same road with cats that we had for 15 years. Hugs and prayers for you and Sam.
Last edited by Dlynn58; 02/12/08 04:25 PM.
Return to Top
#903226 - 02/12/08 04:35 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Dlynn58
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Actually, surprisingly enough, he is not on any specific food. Hmdagal, right now he is telling us that he doesn't want his pills. Maybe, hopefully, that will change in time.

Return to Top
#903229 - 02/12/08 04:38 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Dlynn58
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Skittles,

So sorry, I know what you are going through. Our dog was 13 and had kidney failure. We tried some of the formulas and meds for a short time. I never thought that I could make the decision to put him down - he really was my best friend. My wife and I had him before we got married. For many years he was an only "child". I came to the point that I realized that I needed to do what was best for him and that I was not allowing him to suffer needlessly for us so that we could have a few more hours or a few more days with him. It was the hardest decision we ever had to make, but it was the one last thing that we were able to do to truly help him.

Good luck with your decision and I pray you find comfort in whatever choice you make.

Return to Top
#904214 - 02/13/08 06:43 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update thomasj
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We have decided to let Sam go. We will take him to the vet on Friday morning and we'll both be there in the end with him. The poor little baby is miserable. He runs from me now because the only time I pick him up is to shove some sort of medication down his throat. I told Bill that we won't give him any more so that his last day at the house will be as normal and happy as possible. This is very hard on Bill, but we both feel it's in Sam's best interest.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 02/13/08 06:44 PM.

Return to Top
#904220 - 02/13/08 06:50 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Skittles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Skittles,

I think Sam is just trying to tell you he's ready to go. You've done everything you can to give him a long and happy life.

So, does Sam get some catnip tonight?

Return to Top
#904227 - 02/13/08 06:53 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Skittles
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I do not envy you, my thoughts and wishes are with you.

As hard as it is to let go, you know in your heart it is for the best, as Sam understands and knows in his world, that it is your love and compassion for him that helps guide you to make this hard choice.

We show love in so many ways... to let one go on to a place with no pain and suffering is a choice that only validates the love we have for that loved one.

Return to Top
#904304 - 02/13/08 08:17 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update #Just Jay
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Oh, Skittles, I'm very sorry to hear this. But I agree with the others who have said that it's probably for the best, even though it doesn't make it any easier. You're in my thoughts.

Return to Top
#904306 - 02/13/08 08:18 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update #Just Jay
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I'm so sorry. A friend in CA just had to put down her dog yesterday. It's just such a hard decision because emotions are involved.

Return to Top
#904420 - 02/13/08 09:36 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Bagweaver
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Skittles, I'm so sorry. I know what a tough decision that is, it was just over a year ago that we had to let our Buddy go Like others have said, Sam will not be in pain and miserable now. Enjoy your last couple of days, catnip sounds like a nice idea for Sam.

Return to Top
#904432 - 02/13/08 09:45 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update corkygirl
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yes, you're right Corky. However this will be the second pet in 8 1/2 months we've had to say good bye to. All of our animals are now 'older' with the youngest being our greyhound who will be 8 in May.

Don't know if he'd like catnip, but he can have whatever he wants.

Return to Top
#904601 - 02/14/08 12:53 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm so sorry for your loss(es). Our pets' time with us is always too short. The youngest of our 5 critters is also 8, and I dread the thought of losing any of them.

Return to Top
#904619 - 02/14/08 01:56 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update hmdagal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm sorry, Skittles. I lost my eldest horse a week ago tonight after 15 years together, so I empathize completely. (((hugs)))

Return to Top
#904644 - 02/14/08 02:19 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update RR Becca
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
hugs and best wishes from new england. my kitties are sending hugs to their cousin too.

Return to Top
#904648 - 02/14/08 02:21 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update RR Becca
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I am sorry.
So sorry.
I think that you did the best that you could.

Return to Top
#904658 - 02/14/08 02:36 PM Re: Owners of cats - please read - Sam Update hmdagal
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: hmdagal
Our pets' time with us is always too short.

This is too true.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett