Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#90466 - 06/20/03 08:20 PM Bankers getting married to each Other
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
if two staff of a Bank Branch wanted to get married to each Other , would you Transfer One of them to a Nother Location ?

in Jordan : the answer is Yes.and usually the Guy is relocated some Other Branch.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#90467 - 06/20/03 08:32 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
Little Sister Offline
100 Club
Iowa
Nineteen years ago I got engaged to another banker but he worked at a different bank. The boards had to "bless" it. I was working in auditing at the time and he was working in the credit department. The boards did bless it but I know they didn't always. Sometimes they would tell one of the employees they would have to quit. After we got the official "okay" my fiance (now husband) took a different job which meant we'd be moving so we both ended up quitting.

Return to Top
#90468 - 06/20/03 08:35 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Absolutely yes - in the US also. Except, if it's a large branch scenario with two separate reporting relationships and completely separate job functions. For reasons of auditing, staffing (you could end up with two staffers out at the same time), and dare I say - married people don't normally work that well together - generally speaking - with some great exceptions noted.

Return to Top
#90469 - 06/23/03 04:27 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Certainly you would want to consider transferring one of them. However, you need to let them decide on which one gets the transfer, unless one of them holds a key position in that branch. In that case, you would have a clear business necessity reason to transfer the other, even though the person may be female.

To arbitrarily transfer the female is grounds for sex discrimination.

Return to Top
#90470 - 06/23/03 05:09 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
A previous co-worker was married to another employee. When they married, however, he worked for a rival bank. Her bank purchased the rival bank in a 'hostile takeover' situation.

She said that her bank strictly forbid all of their employees from speaking to any of the other bank's employees until the acquisition was finalized. Guess it was pretty quiet at their house for a while! Their marriage survived the merger, so maybe silence is golden.

Return to Top
#90471 - 06/24/03 09:51 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Quote:

in Jordan : the answer is Yes.and usually the Guy is relocated some Other Branch.

what Can I say More ! Poor Male Bankers !

Return to Top
#90472 - 06/25/03 12:50 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Believe it or not, I fell in love with my boss's secretary and we eventually ended up getting married. We kept our relationship quiet for as long as possible, but one day we asked if we could meet with him and told him that we were involved and according to bank policy one of us was going to look for a job elsewhere within the orgnaization. My boss immediately turned to me and said "That better be you, because I can find a compliance officer anywhere, but finding a good secretary is a B****!". Well, needless to say we did work things out and I stayed in compliance, but we did go through three secretaries in three years and he never let me forget it.

Return to Top
#90473 - 06/26/03 06:22 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
Anonymous
Unregistered

In our institution we have 4 couples that are married. Each work in a different location. My wife and I are one of the couples and are celebrating our 21st anniversary today. She was an executive secretary to the CEO for years and now is a mortgage loan officer.

Return to Top
#90474 - 06/26/03 08:50 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
When I worked for a larger bank in Manhattan, even though we were located in the heart of the city, Times Square, we were considered a "Queens" branch because my Manager was married to the Manhattan District Manager.

Return to Top
#90475 - 06/26/03 08:55 PM Re: Bankers getting married to each Other
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Oh Geez, I forgot to tell you I met my husband when we were both on the Bank's Bowling League.I worked in Midtown at a branch and he worked downtown in the computer operations area. Although that bank failed, I swear we had nothing to do with it

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry