BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#907852 - 02/20/08 10:13 PM Bipolar son
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I have shared with my BOL friends about my son before but he is struggling again and I would really appreciate your prayers. It has been nearly 2 years of relative stability but recently he and his dr decided to try going down on one of his meds and the result has not been good. The mania is stronger, the tension, anger and frustration level is up and some of the paranoia is back. He called yesterday to talk to me about it and went to his dr last night. I know the side affects of the drugs and how hard they are to live with but he needs to increase the dosage again. I do a pretty good job of letting go when I hang up the phone, at almost 35 he has to take care of it on his own but that doesn't take the rock out of the bottom of my heart. So please add Michael to your prayers (and his momma too). Thanks

Return to Top
#907859 - 02/20/08 10:26 PM Re: Bipolar son corkygirl
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
My prayers are with you and Michael, Corkygirl. Hang in there. ((Hugs from Texas)) May God keep the both of you strong.

Return to Top
#907910 - 02/21/08 12:33 AM Re: Bipolar son Dlynn58
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
(((Corky))) hugs to Michael too. Prayers for all of you.

Return to Top
#907947 - 02/21/08 12:00 PM Re: Bipolar son Countess Kiwi
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Oh Corky, you know you and your family have all of my support. Hang in there, lady. Best wishes to Michael for a quick stabilization.

Return to Top
#907957 - 02/21/08 01:09 PM Re: Bipolar son Retired DQ
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
It seems like issues that involve our children, no matter what their age, are much more difficult that those that involve just ourselves. Prayers for you and your son.

Return to Top
#907966 - 02/21/08 01:34 PM Re: Bipolar son thomasj
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Prayers for you and your son Corky. Hang in there.
The doc changed the meds on my sister 2 years ago and all he$$ broke out. Didn't think she would make it. She did and she's back on the medicine she has been on for a long long time.
Sometimes the one taking the medicine knows what is best for them!
Keeping good thoughts for your son!

Return to Top
#907970 - 02/21/08 01:41 PM Re: Bipolar son pjs
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Prayers are coming your way (and Michael's, too) from Central, GA. I believe it is more difficult with adult children. You're still mom, but you can't really tell them what to do or what is best for them any more. Hang in there and know you can always come to us for support and love.

Return to Top
#907972 - 02/21/08 01:44 PM Re: Bipolar son Skittles
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
prayers coming from new england.

Return to Top
#907982 - 02/21/08 02:07 PM Re: Bipolar son kitten
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Prayers for Michael and Mom! May he find the right medication to help him live a normal life with minimum side effects. This is such a frustrating disease!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#908229 - 02/21/08 04:59 PM Re: Bipolar son waldensouth
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Continued prayers for Michael and you, Corky. Hang in there.

Return to Top
#908248 - 02/21/08 05:33 PM Re: Bipolar son pjs
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: pjs
The doc changed the meds on my sister 2 years ago and all he$$ broke out. Didn't think she would make it. She did and she's back on the medicine she has been on for a long long time.

The scary part right now is that his body is processing his current meds too fast (or something like that) and there may be no choice but to make a change. He is going to add an extra pill at bedtime starting tonight and see how that goes. He is concerned that a change in meds means another hospital stay and he hates that. Plus it just plain gets expensive. I hate to think what he owes various hospitals and doctors at this point But as I told him, his dad and I want him alive so he needs to do what it takes to stay that way (not being alive has been a possibility in the past ) Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!!

Return to Top
#908267 - 02/21/08 05:50 PM Re: Bipolar son corkygirl
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: corkygirl
Originally Posted By: pjs

The scary part right now is that his body is processing his current meds too fast (or something like that) and there may be no choice but to make a change. He is going to add an extra pill at bedtime starting tonight and see how that goes. He is concerned that a change in meds means another hospital stay and he hates that. Plus it just plain gets expensive. I hate to think what he owes various hospitals and doctors at this point But as I told him, his dad and I want him alive so he needs to do what it takes to stay that way (not being alive has been a possibility in the past ) Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!!

I understand- that is different than my sister. The new doctor wanted to put her on new medicine and wipe out all the old stuff she was on. The new medicine supposedly was to help with her weight gain. With the old medicine she has to watch and she does have weight issues with the medicine she is on.
She gave it a go but she completely flipped out and stopped taking all medicines. She was in and out of the hospital, out on the streets, she tore her apartment up and threw out almost everything she had- bed, pics, dishes, chairs, etc. She called 911 constantly. Her saving grace was that the police came and instead of arresting her they got her back in the hospital and her daughter could finally take over. It was a nightmare- she also ran her debit card into the ground. She lived on the streets for weeks- sometimes we did not know where she was! It was truly a nightmare- but she is back and on her meds and feels comfortable with the ones she had been taking.
You can't reason with people that quit that medicine- you talk to you are blue in the face

I feel for you and your son. I see how much you love your son and its like me loving my sister and you pray and pray that they continue to brighten our lives. Hang in there girl!

Return to Top
#908277 - 02/21/08 05:56 PM Re: Bipolar son pjs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
God in heaven please give our doctors and researchers understanding about how the brain works and the best use of SSRI's -

hang in there eveybody, prayers and best thoughts to all of us that deal with this daily

Return to Top
#908306 - 02/21/08 06:24 PM Re: Bipolar son Pale Rider
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
God Bless your son, you, and your family.

I cannot imagine the pain one must feel when their biggest enemy is their own mind and body.

Return to Top
#908346 - 02/21/08 06:55 PM Re: Bipolar son MB Guy
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Corky, you and your son might already know about this, but... for what it's worth: make sure that Michael isn't eating grapefruits or drinking grapefruit juice (or anything with grapefruit juice in it, like Fresca or Jarritos sodas) while on his medications. I have read that some enzyme in the grapefruit really changes the way humans absorb medications. My doctor tells me that lots of his patients suddenly start having absorption problems because they have either started or stopped consuming grapefruit while on meds. So, it might be worth asking your son to avoid anything with grapefruit in it and see if that helps stabilize things somewhat. Not all doctors are wholistic enough to even think of possible food interactions with drugs.

Return to Top
#908608 - 02/21/08 11:48 PM Re: Bipolar son BurntSienna
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
My prayers are with you Corky!!

Return to Top
#909018 - 02/22/08 05:51 PM Re: Bipolar son Beagles22
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Corky, you got my prayers girl, you and your whole family. Take care and keep us posted honey.

Return to Top
#909092 - 02/22/08 06:54 PM Re: Bipolar son P*Q
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Corky, I am praying.

Return to Top
#909114 - 02/22/08 07:12 PM Re: Bipolar son QCL
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts...

Return to Top
#909129 - 02/22/08 07:21 PM Re: Bipolar son MadisonCali
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Corky, you and your son will be in my thoughts. I'm sure it'll all turn out just fine.

Return to Top
#909134 - 02/22/08 07:24 PM Re: Bipolar son MadisonCali
West Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
West Texas
Lost in the desert....
John 16:33: "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Return to Top
#909149 - 02/22/08 07:38 PM Re: Bipolar son West Texas
Jalen Offline
Gold Star
Jalen
Somewhere on 2 wheels
Isaiah 33:2 O Lord, be gracious to us, we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.

Return to Top
#909557 - 02/25/08 03:18 AM Re: Bipolar son Jalen
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Just got back and catching up on the prayers my friends need. Corky, you and Michael and PQ and her husband will all get my special attention at prayer time tonight. Tell Michael to think positive thoughts and hang in there.

Return to Top
#913650 - 03/03/08 04:02 PM Re: Bipolar son Truffle Royale
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
How is your son doing Corky?

Return to Top
#913996 - 03/03/08 08:43 PM Re: Bipolar son pjs
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
He is hanging in there, trying to be patient while the increase in meds has time to build up. He is still pretty worried about the need to change meds and a hospital stay but with my current health issues, he is reluctant to tell me very much. So I listen to how he says stuff rather than what he says and he does sound more stable. Thanks for asking

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett