Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#91034 - 06/30/03 05:18 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

After you have done your search for the 314(a) requests, DO NOT KEEP A COPY OF THE LIST!

"GASP!" - I am sorry, banker's do not understand this meaning. We keep everything! I too have held onto mine to "show my willingness to comply" to these time consuming requests. I sure would like to chunk them though, they get awfully bulky and I have had to aquire a "secure setting" in which to store the darned things.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#91035 - 06/30/03 10:05 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Bonnie, did the speaker explain why we should not keep the list?

Return to Top
#91036 - 06/30/03 11:02 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
He said that the names were extremely confidential and FinCEN did not want the possibility that the lists could be leaked (a la the original "Control" list.)

Of course he didn't have an answer to the question about the non-secure method that FinCEN uses to SEND the list.....

What's the expression? Do as I say, not as I do?

I posted this because he really made a big, big, big deal about this at the seminar.

Return to Top
#91037 - 07/01/03 01:25 AM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Quote:

Tell you auditor to contact Mr. Davidson in Washington DC. Send me a PM and I'll give you his number.

"That's one ringy-dingy." (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

Return to Top
#91038 - 07/01/03 03:22 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
At the seminar, he was asked what if FED wasn't the banks regulator? He said it didn't matter, don't keep the list. And he expressed that to the other regulators in the room.

Right Bonnie?

Return to Top
#91039 - 07/01/03 03:34 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, I for one would not put much credence in a statement by one person made at a conference on such a controversial issue. To rely on a verbal statement in such a manner is a very dangerous practice. If it is that important, then written guidance should be promulgated by the proper enforcement agency(ies). Otherwise, take a deep breath and let it go........

Return to Top
#91040 - 07/01/03 05:08 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

At the seminar, he was asked what if FED wasn't the banks regulator? He said it didn't matter, don't keep the list. And he expressed that to the other regulators in the room.
Right Bonnie?

Yes he did, and the other regulators nodded their head. He also gave out his phone number for anyone to call on the subject. I now hear, however, that he was unpleasently surprised by the number of calls he got on this.

IMHO, this serves as an example of how difficult compliance management and communication can be. Apparently, this is FinCEN's wish, and they strongly communicated it to this gentleman, but where's the back up on this? Where's the official communication? Where's the FAQ?

So while the agencies keep hounding banks on how important it is to have clear lines of communication and responsibilities, when it comes to a fast changing area such as USA PATRIOT Act, I think the agencies are finding out how difficult it is to really do. That commercial on herding cats comes to mind....

Return to Top
#91041 - 07/01/03 06:58 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree. An official word should be put out, officially.

Likely many of you haven't heard of the 314(aa) lists. These are ultra confidential and have to be researched the same day received and responded to. NOT.

My point is, if you didn't hear about trashing the list copy here on BOL, how many of us would know at all? There is no 314(aa) list and that is why you don't know about it.

I won't destroy my 314(a) until directed to do so.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#91042 - 07/01/03 08:28 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Quote:

I won't destroy my 314(a) until directed to do so.

I'm keeping my paper copy, initialed off as reviewed, and put in a file.

Here's a concern - In my discussions with an OFAC checking vendor, they said I could build my own "private" list into the system and then these names would be included when I run my DBase against it. Basically, import the "formatted" 314(a) request into the OFAC system and then scrub against it. Now I would say that I have retained a list that I continue to use, which may go against the one-time use premise.

Anyone actually entering these into their OFAC program as part of the review?

Return to Top
#91043 - 07/01/03 09:27 PM Re: 314(a) Searches - Do not keep the names!
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
We don't import them into our software- what will you do if you have a hit? Will you then go back to your original 314(a)requests to see who to contact? Or can you put all of this information into your OFAC search software?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z