Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#91139 - 06/26/03 05:09 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Alien,

Being in lesser developed nations definitely explains your point. I agree that it is much "easier" to play with limited resources than other sports.

I think it would be interesting to know if you've been in either Central America or South America. I have always been under the impression that baseball was extremely popular, especially due to the success of MLB players from that region. It is also heralded as a "poor persons game" in that the balls can be made rather easily and broom sticks, branches, etc. can be used as bats.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#91140 - 06/26/03 05:53 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

One thing I would say is that the hooliganism associated with soccer and the amount of people that have died at soccer games around the world is something that we can never imagine happening in the sports played here.

Yep, my mother always throws those facts in my face. I try to explain that soccer does not cause hooliganism and violence. People create such things. If American football were their national sport, the same violence would occur. People who are violent in nature will look for an avenue for violence no matter where they have to find it.

Alien, your English is great. Will you disclose your other languages? I admire people who can speak more than one. I struggled with Spanish in college!! A gentleman in my Toastmasters club can speak six!!

Return to Top
#91141 - 06/26/03 05:57 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
No RGS, I am actually from the Southern Hemisphere where people are more into Rugby and Soccer - most of the Island nations are really poor economies and generally have a s subsistence life style. To them the US sports would be a luxury, similar to a Nike shoe.

Return to Top
#91142 - 06/26/03 06:13 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
swiggles,

I speak the dilects of Hindi/Urdu (language spoken in India/Pakistan and parts of South East Asia and Middle East), I speak the native Language of the Island I was born in and I speak English. I am also learning Spanish from my kid's school text!

Return to Top
#91143 - 06/26/03 06:17 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, the "hooliganism" related to US sports doesn't necessarily happen at the stadium (as it appears to with soccer matches), but we have had numerous riots that were sparked by wins or losses by a city's college or professional team. Why people would do that is unbelieveable to me.

Return to Top
#91144 - 06/26/03 06:34 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Yes....unbelievable.....

Another example?....when police do something which angers the general public, or a decision from a court or judge riles them, they go berserk and loot and vandalize their own neighborhoods and neighborhood businesses....makes no sense to me.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2