Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#911224 - 02/27/08 03:59 PM Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller
EKNDCR Offline
New Poster
We have a customer who is buying a primary residence from another customer. The seller is paying all closing costs including our loan fee. The title company is preapring the HUD1. How do we disclose the prepaid finance charge? Will we show this as a POC item on the TIL? Will the charge be added to the loan amount and then reduce the loan amount to the actual disbursement to the customer? I need help fast. the officer wants to close this morning.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#911295 - 02/27/08 04:42 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller EKNDCR
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the seller is contractually libable to pay them then seller paid charges are not finance charges.

Return to Top
#911310 - 02/27/08 04:53 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller Dan Persfull
EKNDCR Offline
New Poster
Thanks Dan,

We'll keep that in mind. Since this is a private deal between customers, we decided to err on the side of caution. We are treating them as pre-paid charges and erring on the side of the customer.

We appreciate your help!

Return to Top
#912209 - 02/28/08 05:22 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller EKNDCR
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your disclosures are suppose to be based on the legal obligation. Although an over disclosure does not trigger reimbursement, it would still be a violation of the disclosure regulations if it outside of the specified tolerences. Erring on the side of the customer is not always the smart thing to do.

Return to Top
#912231 - 02/28/08 05:37 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller Dan Persfull
dblack Offline
Gold Star
AL
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
If the seller is contractually libable to pay them then seller paid charges are not finance charges.

Could someone point me to the regulation that states this..

I have been told seller paid charges are not included in APR, but I can't find it for my self!

CRCM

Return to Top
#912262 - 02/28/08 05:56 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller dblack
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
17(c) Basis of disclosures and use of estimates.

Paragraph 17(c)(1).

1. Legal obligation. The disclosures shall reflect the credit terms to which the parties are legally bound as of the outset of the transaction.

Return to Top
#912713 - 02/29/08 02:51 PM Re: Prepaid Finance Charge - Paid by Seller dblack
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
And from Section 226.4(c) you have:
"Charges excluded from the finance charge. The following charges are not finance charges:
(5) Seller's points."

The fact that seller's points are a specified exclusion presumes that there is a contract (legal obligation) between the lender and seller.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z