Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#916658 - 03/06/08 09:21 PM 2008 International Conference on Climate Change
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/03/ny_climate_conference_journey.html

Granting a long overdue forum to noted dissenting scientists, economists and policy experts from around the world, the Heartland Institute-sponsored symposium at the Marriott Marquis offered welcomed reasoned analysis as alternative to last December's hysterical circus which was Bali. It also served as the perfect launch point for a long-awaited un-IPCC report -- Nature, Not Human Activity, Rules the Climate: Summary for Policymakers of the Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change [PDF].

Compiling the work of over 20 prominent fellow researchers, editor Fred Singer's NIPCC report distinguishes itself from the recent IPCC Fourth Assessment (AR4) and its predecessors in that it was not pre-programmed to "support the hypotheses of anthropogenic warming (AGW) and the control of greenhouse gases." Instead, the nearly 50 page document is a non-political authoritative rebuttal to the multi-government controlled IPCC's "errors and outright falsehoods" regarding warming's measurement, likely drivers, and overall impact.

And its ultimate conclusion of "natural causes and a moderate warming trend with beneficial effects for humanity and wildlife" set the perfect framework for speakers and panelists - many of whom contributed to the NIPCC -- to elaborate on the summit's "Global warming is not a crisis" theme.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#916729 - 03/06/08 10:22 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
All I want to know is if we could send some of that freaking global warming to Iowa...

Return to Top
#917405 - 03/07/08 05:57 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Interesting that relentlessly, and in some cases record, ice cold temps and snow and have been reported worldwide. Makes you wonder if there is cause for climate change alarm, just not warming, but global cooling.

Return to Top
#917513 - 03/07/08 06:59 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Time magazine already tried that fear mongering in the 70's (I think that was the decade they wrote we were in for another ice age)

Return to Top
#917539 - 03/07/08 07:22 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Pale Rider
Peepers Offline
10K Club
If we realize that global warming really isn't happening and that global cooling isn't really happening, that everything eventually evens out, will Global Middling be the new battle cry?

Return to Top
#917542 - 03/07/08 07:23 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Time magazine already tried that fear mongering in the 70's (I think that was the decade they wrote we were in for another ice age)

On the other hand Pale, if global cooling phase is actually upon us, what could we really do about it? If it is global warming, and not man-made, well same thing, except the climate extremems of course would be different.

Return to Top
#917548 - 03/07/08 07:25 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster

Time may have fallen for that, but most of the scientists of that era didn't:

Global cooling????

Return to Top
#917551 - 03/07/08 07:27 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
hmmm, well Yo, I guess this is the decade the scientists fall for something

Return to Top
#917560 - 03/07/08 07:32 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
The study reports, "There was no scientific consensus in the 1970s that the Earth was headed into an imminent ice age

using this same criteria, there is no scientific consensus today that global warming is real either...

or do you fail to recognize that?

Return to Top
#917576 - 03/07/08 07:42 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
They based it upon the consensus of peer-reviewed scientific literature, which at the time was actually in favor of global warming and is now OVERWHELMINGLY supportive of global warming.

Return to Top
#917626 - 03/07/08 08:09 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Yossarian
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
didn't we just discuss methodology for tracking global warming in another thread? i guess if you dont like it, just ignore it and create another thread...

Return to Top
#917634 - 03/07/08 08:15 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Gozer
didn't we just discuss methodology for tracking global warming in another thread? i guess if you dont like it, just ignore it and create another thread...

Apparently you did not read the title or original link, or you would see that this is not simply about tracking global warming trends, but about the OVERWHELMING number of dissenting voices in the scientific community coming together to vet their side of the issue without misrepresentation.

Return to Top
#917651 - 03/07/08 08:22 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
what does that have to do with constantly mentioning stuff about "if this is global warming, why is it so cold here right now?! "

doesn't vet roughly mean to "run it by for clearance" btw?

why are these groups wasting so much money on convincing everyone that the status quo for the environment is a good thing? that's my real beef. for me, this isn't an al gore issue, this is an environmental stewardship/natural resources mangement/economics issue.

Return to Top
#917695 - 03/07/08 08:35 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Quote:
economics issue.

Precisely why what they are doing is anything but a waste of time and money. To make the drastic changes proposed by the Gore campers to our way of life would have very significant effects on ours and the world economy. If we are to do that, then we mmust be certain that the threat of man-made global warming is an absolute reality. If it turns out to be as the dissenters claim, then a major service to our nation and the earth will have been rendered by them for dticking to their guns. And environmental stewardship does not necessitate the need for extreme measures where such are not definably called for.

Return to Top
#917702 - 03/07/08 08:39 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
really though? that is a very myopic view of economic implications. of course you ignored my other points about stewardship, and that's ok i guess, but even if this is not man-made, the effects certainly are real economically.

what extreme measures are being called for?

Return to Top
#917717 - 03/07/08 08:47 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
why are these groups wasting so much money on convincing everyone that the status quo for the environment is a good thing?

Hmmmm....maybe TO GET TO THE TRUTH?

Not just how you see it, not just how Yo Yo Ma sees it, and maybe not how some of the scientific community sees it.

Return to Top
#917720 - 03/07/08 08:48 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
elimination of the internal combustion engine

shutting down nuclear plants

no drilling for oil

outlaw incandescents

no building of refineries

public transportation where it isn't wanted or needed

you name it gozy baby, it runs the gamut

Return to Top
#917723 - 03/07/08 08:48 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
really though? that is a very myopic view of economic implications. of course you ignored my other points about stewardship, and that's ok i guess, but even if this is not man-made, the effects certainly are real economically.

what extreme measures are being called for?

I did not ignore anything about stewarship in your post, since you have brought it up a million other times in a million other posts, and I and others have repeatedly responded that environmental stewarsdship does not require the acceptance of debateable theories, nor the implementation of changes that have serious implications for economic productivity. You apparently, choose to ignore that each and everytime.

Return to Top
#917724 - 03/07/08 08:49 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change MB Guy
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
THE TRUTH

that's an awful lot of money i'm sure they are spending on a philosophical debate.

now how about you answer my question that you quoted, sport?

Return to Top
#917731 - 03/07/08 08:52 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:
THE TRUTH

that's an awful lot of money i'm sure they are spending on a philosophical debate.

now how about you answer my question that you quoted, sport?

Well, why is everyone wasting so much money trying to figure out if global warming is occurring?

It's called dissenting opinions, and I am guessing they are trying to prove their side of the argument.

I am all for caring for and conserving the earth, including not needlessly wasting resources that could be used by future generations, but there is no definitive proof that man is causing the earth to warm or cool.

Return to Top
#917732 - 03/07/08 08:52 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change MB Guy
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I think the truth is somewhere between the two extreme views. I doubt the world is on the verge of ending, but I do believe there's environmental harm occuring. Instead of arguing the point, we should just be trying to take some reasonable actions.

Return to Top
#917737 - 03/07/08 08:53 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change The Incredible ComplyGuy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I'm confused, why does Ron want to be a stewardess?

Return to Top
#917741 - 03/07/08 08:55 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change The Incredible ComplyGuy
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
I think the truth is somewhere between the two extreme views. I doubt the world is on the verge of ending, but I do believe there's environmental harm occuring. Instead of arguing the point, we should just be trying to take some reasonable actions.

Agreed, and the key word here is "reasonable."

Return to Top
#917746 - 03/07/08 08:56 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
elimination of the internal combustion engine

sounds like hyperbole to me.

Quote:
shutting down nuclear plants

i don't support this. who does, exactly? "liberals"?

Quote:
no drilling for oil

i think you have to be a bit more specific. first, i think more effort needs to be put into exploring alternatives than into how to get the last of the peanut butter out of the jar. second, if the issue with prices is not supply per se but refining capacity, i think we shold fix that first.

Quote:
outlaw incandescents

sounds like hyperbole. i would rather incentivize the use of alternatives (other than their built in incentives)

Quote:
no building of refineries

clearly i am on the polar opposite of this point. d**m those dirty hippies for wanting this!

Quote:
public transportation where it isn't wanted or needed

i'm not too sure about this topic. where's this debate and what are the cpntours of it? public transportation is a beautiful thing.

Return to Top
#917750 - 03/07/08 09:00 PM Re: 2008 International Conference on Climate Change TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
I and others have repeatedly responded that environmental stewarsdship does not require the acceptance of debateable theories, nor the implementation of changes that have serious implications for economic productivity.

well, your friends seem to be spending an awful lot of money to defend these "debateable theories". seems like they have ulterior motives, that's all.

as far as economic productivity goes, i did say "myopic" right? and that word still means "short-sighted" right?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2