BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#917466 - 03/07/08 06:36 PM GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-immig5mar05,0,2074519.story

The package -- an enforcement smorgasbord assembled by at least eight lawmakers -- consists of 11 bills, but it could expand to as many as 14. Some elements echo House bills, but others go beyond House proposals.

One would discourage states from issuing driver's licenses to illegal immigrants by docking 10% of highway funding from states that continue to do so.

Another would extend the presence of the National Guard on the border, and a third would end language assistance at federal agencies and the voting booth for people with limited English ability.

Other bills in the package would:

* Block federal funding to cities that bar their police from asking about immigration status.

* Give the Department of Homeland Security the authority to use information from the Social Security Administration to target illegal immigrants.

* Require construction of 700 miles of fencing along the southern border, not including vehicle barriers.

* Impose sanctions on countries that refuse to repatriate their citizens.

* Deport any immigrant, legal or illegal, for one drunk-driving conviction.

* Enable local and state police to enforce federal immigration laws.

...Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), said the Republican proposal "falls far short of what is needed."

Yeah, uh, ok Harry.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#917473 - 03/07/08 06:39 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
DOA, had to say it before Ms. Pelosi or Mr. Reid did

Return to Top
#917476 - 03/07/08 06:41 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
these GOP guys are just a bunch of xenophobic haters...(responding before the left leaners in here went that route)

Return to Top
#917486 - 03/07/08 06:45 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Does the bill explain how MVD in states will determine illegals from legals?

Return to Top
#917489 - 03/07/08 06:47 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Why rely on state and local police? DHS has a Federal police force that could be tasked for this.

Return to Top
#917492 - 03/07/08 06:50 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Federal drivers licenses?

Return to Top
#917499 - 03/07/08 06:52 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
RealID-compliant drivers' licenses

Return to Top
#917505 - 03/07/08 06:54 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

Does the technology exist to create such yet? What would make it distinguishable?

Return to Top
#917521 - 03/07/08 07:07 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: BlackDog

Does the technology exist to create such yet? What would make it distinguishable?

New Jersey's, I think, are pretty close. The information required to qualify for the new license complies with the law. The configuration of the license conforms to the specs (as far as I can tell, since I don't have a bar-code reader....)
Now, the back-end systems (the linked databases and data interchange standards at the Federal level) don't yet exist. So,..., the best a cop can do is shine a UV light on the license to cause the embedded hologram to fluoresce.

Return to Top
#917525 - 03/07/08 07:12 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

New Jersey's, I think, are pretty close. The information required to qualify for the new license complies with the law. The configuration of the license conforms to the specs (as far as I can tell, since I don't have a bar-code reader....)
Now, the back-end systems (the linked databases and data interchange standards at the Federal level) don't yet exist. So,..., the best a cop can do is shine a UV light on the license to cause the embedded hologram to fluoresce.

I wonder if it would become incumbent upon banks and other FI players to determine of the drivers license (if that is the preferred govt.-issued ID for 326)was authentic then? It woul dnot surprise me if that was imposed upon banks.

Return to Top
#917531 - 03/07/08 07:16 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

I wonder if it would become incumbent upon banks and other FI players to determine of the drivers license (if that is the preferred govt.-issued ID for 326)was authentic then? It woul dnot surprise me if that was imposed upon banks.

It would if they adopted a rule similar to the EU's Third Money Laundering Directive, which requires independent validation of the ID.

Return to Top
#917532 - 03/07/08 07:17 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
why not, we are already deputized for Bank Secrecy

Return to Top
#917562 - 03/07/08 07:33 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
these GOP guys are just a bunch of xenophobic haters

Nope. They just know which years are election years.

Return to Top
#917956 - 03/07/08 10:17 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
* Block federal funding to cities that bar their police from asking about immigration status.

Interesting, but what would be the threshold? Meaning, under what circumstances would the police be able to, legally, ask about the status and not have it turn into profiling?

* Give the Department of Homeland Security the authority to use information from the Social Security Administration to target illegal immigrants.

Don't see a real problem with this. Only legals should have a SS#, right?

* Require construction of 700 miles of fencing along the southern border, not including vehicle barriers.

Not sure how I feel about a fence, especially since US citizens would lose their land.

* Impose sanctions on countries that refuse to repatriate their citizens.

Does this mean accepting deportees back into their country? I would agree with this proposal.

Too harsh. Why should a legal immigrant be deported after one drunk-driving conviction? Their punishment should be equal to if you or I were convicted.

Federal law is supreme law of the land, so my question would be how do you educate/train Small Town USA force of 50 to patrol for the scary illegals?

Return to Top
#917975 - 03/07/08 10:26 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Interesting, but what would be the threshold? Meaning, under what circumstances would the police be able to, legally, ask about the status and not have it turn into profiling?

Any circumstance... make it a standard question for all who are stopped.

Not sure how I feel about a fence, especially since US citizens would lose their land.

Tough... let them move to Mexico then... I hear the land is cheap there.

Too harsh. Why should a legal immigrant be deported after one drunk-driving conviction? Their punishment should be equal to if you or I were convicted.

Too bad... follow the laws or go back home... we have enough of our own people breaking laws to worry about others coming here and messing things up too.

Federal law is supreme law of the land, so my question would be how do you educate/train Small Town USA force of 50 to patrol for the scary illegals?

Good point... we have to figure that oput and get going on it.

Return to Top
#917983 - 03/07/08 10:30 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

yeah, once every 4 years they get out and scare the pants off of the rest of America, those mindless grubs who don't have any idea of what is going on in the world...

Return to Top
#917989 - 03/07/08 10:38 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Quote:

Police should always be able to ask, that is not a profiling issue.

Quote:

it is called emminent domain...were you protesting in New Jersey when the town of Long Branch kicked everyone out of their homes to build a new boardwalk/mall/condo development?

Quote:
Too harsh. Why should a legal immigrant be deported after one drunk-driving conviction? Their punishment should be equal to if you or I were convicted

I would say if they had attained US citizenship, then the same punishment. if an immigrant without citizenship, whether legal or not...bye bye. Illegals should go immediately.

Quote:

how hard is it to ask for the proof that they are here legally? Permanent resident status (green card)? Student Visa? Work visa? Yeah, that'd be a tough one to teach...

Return to Top
#918013 - 03/07/08 10:57 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Quote:

yeah, once every 4 years they get out and scare the pants off of the rest of America, those mindless grubs who don't have any idea of what is going on in the world...

Scare???? No, actually every 2 years representatives (of both parties) propose legislation that they know will never become law just so they can say that they proposed it.

Return to Top
#918024 - 03/07/08 11:05 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Yossarian
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Scare???? No, actually every 2 years representatives (of both parties) propose legislation that they know will never become law just so they can say that they proposed it.

Wow, that sounds strikingly similar to Barack Obama's career so far.

Return to Top
#918028 - 03/07/08 11:09 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Yossarian
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
How about reducing the total amount of welfare benefits to illegals, regardless of the status of their dependent children, to zero.

Return to Top
#918035 - 03/07/08 11:15 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Blade Scrapper
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
How many dollars in welfare benefits go to illegals?

Return to Top
#918040 - 03/07/08 11:25 PM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package straw
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Hard to say. Quite a large number. Either by fake documentation, or by having anchor babies.

Return to Top
#918073 - 03/08/08 01:34 AM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package straw
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: straw
How many dollars in welfare benefits go to illegals?

Illegal aliens are not eligible for welfare. Babies born in the US are US citizens, though, not aliens.

Return to Top
#918075 - 03/08/08 01:40 AM Re: GOP Senators Introduce Toughest-Yet Immig Package Yossarian
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Right, so their parents should not be able to collect welfare on their behalf. This could be accomplished without resolving the misapplication of the 14th amendment issue. The parents can return with their children to their country of origin. The children can return when they grow up, or, the parents can get in line and immigrate legally. Personally, I think we should eliminate welfare altogether, but you have to start somewhere.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 03/08/08 01:41 AM.

Return to Top