Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#918416 - 03/10/08 03:44 PM lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Strip Search: Camera That Sees Through Clothes From 80 Feet Away

Snip
... it is likely to increase fears that Britain has become a surveillance society...

Britian already has cameras in all heavily trafficed public areas, streets, shops, buildings, the tube, etc...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#918426 - 03/10/08 03:52 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
The UK government is also pushing ahead with plans to issue national ID cards.

Return to Top
#918500 - 03/10/08 04:34 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Good for them

Return to Top
#918508 - 03/10/08 04:38 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US kms
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
can you get Reynolds wrap over there?

Return to Top
#918564 - 03/10/08 05:27 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Pale Rider
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I guess this isn't the x-ray glasses you got out of Cracker Jacks boxes. Dang things never did work.

Return to Top
#918860 - 03/10/08 08:26 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US kms
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: kms
Good for them

KMS, I assume that this is in response to the UK going ahead with ID cards.

When I hear about national ID cards, I can't help thinking about WW2 movies where the Gestapo approaches someone and says, "May I see your papers?"

I don't think I like the idea of having to always carry an ID card around with me at all times just to prove it's OK for me to be somewhere (or anywhere). Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. I think many Americans feel the same way.

Return to Top
#918908 - 03/10/08 08:41 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and yet, most Americans carry around ID every day...drivers license, work ID, SS card,

Return to Top
#918910 - 03/10/08 08:42 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I love the way Claude Rains in Casablanca asked to see your "papers"

Return to Top
#918937 - 03/10/08 08:54 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I'm with Bugs and usually am when it comes to security.

Return to Top
#918940 - 03/10/08 08:57 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Ops
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
LOL, have you been stopped for anything lately?

Try not having any ID on your of any type, and you're in for a major hassle.

Return to Top
#918943 - 03/10/08 08:58 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
and yet, most Americans carry around ID every day...drivers license, work ID, SS card,

But it's your choice, Happy. There is no federal law that requires you carry one of these around on your person for the purpose of identifying yourself to the the government.

Return to Top
#918947 - 03/10/08 08:59 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
so as long as it is optional, you're okay, but when they require it, you aren't? Pray tell, how do you drive a car? It is required to have then...

Return to Top
#918962 - 03/10/08 09:08 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
so as long as it is optional, you're okay, but when they require it, you aren't? Pray tell, how do you drive a car? It is required to have then...

Not in my state. If you're stopped without your card in your possession, you don't get a ticket for not having your card on your person. But that's a red herring.

The point is, Happy, I don't have to drive if I don't want to. If I want to drive, then I have to accept the conditions. But I don't want to accept a condition that in order to be an American I have to have an ID card. I'm an American by birth.

To paraphrase Treasure of the Sierra Madre... "ID card? We don't need no stinking ID card!"

Return to Top
#918995 - 03/10/08 09:31 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
who said that Bugs? I love that book and movie of greed driving men beyond reasonable thought

Return to Top
#919004 - 03/10/08 09:37 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny

Not in my state. If you're stopped without your card in your possession, you don't get a ticket for not having your card on your person. But that's a red herring.

The point is, Happy, I don't have to drive if I don't want to. If I want to drive, then I have to accept the conditions. But I don't want to accept a condition that in order to be an American I have to have an ID card. I'm an American by birth.

To paraphrase Treasure of the Sierra Madre... "ID card? We don't need no stinking ID card!"

I've been sympathetic to this POV for a long time. I'm open to being convinced that a national ID is necessary and appropriate, but no one's done so yet.

Return to Top
#919011 - 03/10/08 09:40 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Jokerman
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Ditto - why is it needed?

Return to Top
#919027 - 03/10/08 09:48 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Pale Rider
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
who said that Bugs?

Who said what, Pale?

Return to Top
#919078 - 03/10/08 10:21 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott

Actually that line is from Blazing Saddles. The original quote was slightly different and longer.

Return to Top
#919083 - 03/10/08 10:23 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Kronott
buggs Offline
Power Poster
OK. OK. Here is the quote from the movie:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

And here's my revised quote so all us compliance folks can relax:

"ID cards? We ain't got no ID cards. We don't need no ID cards. I don't have to show you any stinking ID cards."

Return to Top
#919087 - 03/10/08 10:25 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
who said that Bugs?

Who said what, Pale?

which character from Sierra Madre? said 'no stinkin ID?

Return to Top
#919090 - 03/10/08 10:27 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
ok, gotcha I thought I was having a senior moment

was it the Alex Karras role that said it? He was pretty funny for a football player in that movie.

Return to Top
#919112 - 03/10/08 10:40 PM Re: lest you think the tinfoil is only for the US buggs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
OK. OK. Here is the quote from the movie:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

And here's my revised quote so all us compliance folks can relax:

"ID cards? We ain't got no ID cards. We don't need no ID cards. I don't have to show you any stinking ID cards."

Then there's also "Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers."

Return to Top