Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#918384 - 03/10/08 03:27 PM Great advice for public speaking...
buggs Offline
Power Poster
As compliance officers many of us are called on from time-to-time to speak in public. Here is a link to some of the best advice I've seen on speaking in public.

Presentation Zen: Sir Ken Robinson on Public Speaking

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#918390 - 03/10/08 03:31 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
only thing I would disagree with is rehearsal; you gotta rehearse to know timing

Return to Top
#918417 - 03/10/08 03:45 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Pale Rider
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
only thing I would disagree with is rehearsal; you gotta rehearse to know timing

I understand where you're coming from, but that's more style than substance. If you really know your stuff and you want to be more conversational, then I think rehearsal can do more harm than good. Sure, it makes you feel better, but does it really help your audience understand better? If so, then OK. But the purpose of a presentation is to connect and communicate with the audience, not to perform. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Return to Top
#918421 - 03/10/08 03:49 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
ooh, not being argumentative Bugs, but I also must record and critique myself, as well as reheasing

I am from the old school I guess in that I can't prepare to much

Return to Top
#918423 - 03/10/08 03:51 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Most people are not as good at public speaking as they seem to think they are. You should always work from notes, even if they are bullet poitns to make sure you hit your target areas. You also need to know your audience, and whether humor is allowed or not. I agree about not rehearsing, I've spoken over 100 times to large (+175 people) groups, and I never rehearse.

And I definitley agree about involving the audience.

Return to Top
#918434 - 03/10/08 03:57 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Everyone, I'm not trying to argue either. I'm just sharing this link because I think Sir Ken is a very good speaker and we might actually learn something if we're willing to lay aside our own thoughts on the topic even for just a few minutes.

I think Pale's avatar is serendipity. I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics used by the Great Communicator, but it doesn't appear to me that Ronald Reagan used lots of notes and reshearsed all that much. Of course, if you're giving a long speech, for example, a State of the Union address, you probably do need notes.

But I'm talking about the presentations we make as compliance officers. People can tell when you're "performing" vs. "communicating" and, personally, when I think someone is performing, I pay more attention to the performance, than I do the message. It really should be about the message, not the performance, don't you think?

Return to Top
#918440 - 03/10/08 03:59 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ronnie was good, man I wish I could use those telepromters, then I wouldn't have to rehearse so much

Return to Top
#918444 - 03/10/08 04:02 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... buggs
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
it doesn't appear to me that Ronald Reagan used lots of notes

Are you serious? His handlers wouldn't let him say anything that wasn't scripted.

Return to Top
#918445 - 03/10/08 04:03 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
your bitterness is affecting your judgement Yo

Return to Top
#918470 - 03/10/08 04:17 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Yossarian
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:

Are you serious? His handlers wouldn't let him say anything that wasn't scripted.

And probably rehearsed ad nauseum, in order for it to come across naturally.

Return to Top
#918473 - 03/10/08 04:18 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Becka Marr
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
perhaps the Gipper and I were taught the same techniques

Return to Top
#918475 - 03/10/08 04:19 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Yossarian
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Sure they did. Don't you remember when he talked when he thought the recorders were off and nearly caused an international incident because it was broadcast?

Return to Top
#918541 - 03/10/08 05:08 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
yeah BF, but then they had Hinckley shoot him the next week to make that blow over...

Return to Top
#918557 - 03/10/08 05:21 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
"bitterness"?????? It was no secret back then that he delivered written text in his speeches. Most presidents do, to some extent.

Return to Top
#918770 - 03/10/08 07:33 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
"bitterness"?????? It was no secret back then that he delivered written text in his speeches. Most presidents do, to some extent.

thats right! We were discussing public speaking and you have to interject your hatred for Reagan - hence my restrained comment. Now he wasn't called the great communicator for nothing. He wrote many of his finest lines and spent hours personalizing his speeches.

Return to Top
#918914 - 03/10/08 08:43 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I recall when Clinton had the wrong speach loaded in the teleprompter for a state of the union address, and he winged it for the first either 8 or 11 minutes (can't remember but I'm sure the Bill-ophiles will) until they got the correct speach laoded (no, it wasn't the one where he denied playing pin the tail on the intern)

Return to Top
#919093 - 03/10/08 10:28 PM Re: Great advice for public speaking... HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
OK. Pale, I want you to delete this thread. It's been hijacked. (Just kidding.)

Return to Top