Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Thread Options
#92771 - 06/30/03 09:06 PM Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
Anonymoose Offline
*****W*A*R*N*I*N*G****

If you read the below posts, the latest Harry Potter book (and maybe the ones before it) will be spoiled for you...

OK, they have been warned, now discuss the new book in detail....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#92772 - 06/30/03 09:17 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Have you read OOTP Anonymouse?

Return to Top
#92773 - 06/30/03 09:34 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
Anonymoose Offline
It's AnonyMOOSE and no, I have not read any of the books, I just am a benevolent moose who wanted you Potterheads to have a place to discuss the nuances of warlocks and such. Personally, I prefer pulp fiction.

Return to Top
#92774 - 06/30/03 09:41 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I am so sorry, AnonyMOOSE. I truly am. I forgot to preview my post.

Return to Top
#92775 - 06/30/03 10:02 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
Anonymoose Offline
Just watch it. Don't get on the Moose's bad side or he'll pull a lion from his hat. (Now, wouldn't I be a perfect student for Hogwarts? Do they admit Moose?)

Return to Top
#92776 - 07/01/03 12:53 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
LCM Offline
LCM
I have read OOTP. It was worth the wait. It had a much darker, grumpier tone than the other books. There was much more bickering and angst among the characters. Even the weather was bad throughout most of Harry's adventures this time!

Return to Top
#92777 - 07/01/03 08:14 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I have read OOTP. It was worth the wait. It had a much darker, grumpier tone than the other books. There was much more bickering and angst among the characters. Even the weather was bad throughout most of Harry's adventures this time!

JK warned that it would be a much darker story. Did you hear the responses from the kids in the UK? They were none to happy with the death of Sirius or the fact that JK hinted to them that Harry may not survive the seventh book.

But, how could she not hint at that. After the prophecy was unveiled making the battle to the death between Harry and Voldemort obvious, to say that he will live to a ripe old age is to give away the ending, is it not? Yet it could also be that Neville was the true predestined one, though Voldemort chose Harry, leading to the possibility that Neville will play a bigger role yet in the future books.

Return to Top
#92778 - 07/01/03 08:49 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I think so too. Neville already played a much bigger role in this book. What's your take on Luna Lovegood?
I cried from the moment Sirus died (my husband says I'm too sensitive) until the end of the book. My sister and I (finished it two hours apart from each other) had a loooong conversation about the book afterwards. We are wiating for my mom and other sister to finish it.

Return to Top
#92779 - 07/02/03 01:47 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
LCM Offline
LCM
I'm thinking Neville is the "one", or at least it will take Harry and Neville to bring Voldemort down. I think Fred and George are great! I'm glad they have a higher profile in this book.

Return to Top
#92780 - 07/02/03 02:14 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I love Fred & George. I'm also really glad that they will have plenty of chances to be in the other two books with their shop being so close.

Return to Top
#92781 - 07/02/03 02:19 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

What's your take on Luna Lovegood?

Smitten Kitten?

Return to Top
#92782 - 07/02/03 06:03 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think that Luna will have an interesting place in the up coming books... she is one of the only people that has validated harry's extra sensory knowledge. don't know that see her as "smitten" with him though... but who knows. i was quite pleased and suprised by the 5th book. read it WAY too fast and now i have to wait lord only knows how long until the next is done.

Return to Top
#92783 - 07/03/03 12:56 AM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
She is definately after Ron. But he has eyes for Hermione. A bit jealous, huh? I read it too fast as well. I am going to re-read it, more slowly, since I am not as anxious to find out what happened!

Return to Top
#92784 - 07/03/03 01:24 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Sorry, I meant she was smitten with Ron Weasley. I'm currently listening to it on CD. I enjoyed the read first, but this way I now get to listen to a guy altering his voice to represent the different characters. Very entertaining.

I wonder if Rupert is still concerned with the way things are going for Ron in terms of Hermione.

Return to Top
#92785 - 07/03/03 01:33 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

but this way I now get to listen to a guy altering his voice to represent the different characters. Very entertaining.

That must take a lot of talent. I've listened to other non-fiction books on tapes before and have often been impressed with the readers ability to change his/her voice to different characters. I understand that the Harry Potter book has LOTS of characters and LOTS of voices for the reader to perform.

Return to Top
#92786 - 07/03/03 01:42 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I agree with LCM - Neville is going to play a big part in upcoming books and may be "the one" instead of Harry. He really matured in his magical powers in this book. It will be really interesting to see what they put in the movie of this book and leave out since J. K. Rowling said on CD#2 of "The Chamber of Secrets" that she advises what to put in the movies and what to leave out since some info is criticial to future books.

I can't believe how obsessed I am about these books; it is as bad as TLOTR series. Can't wait until TTT comes out in 4 DVD set in December. To say nothing of "The Return of the King" movie too.

Return to Top
#92787 - 07/03/03 02:29 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America
I totally agree with you. I never intended to get so wrapped up in it. Bought the first book for my step-son for xmas. But when my daughter teased him so much, he wouldn't read it. So I decided what the heck, and read it myself! Well, it was all over from there.

And I also wonder what in the world will be left out of the coming movies. Each book seems to be longer than the previous one. They will need to start having intermissions.

Return to Top
#92788 - 07/03/03 03:11 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I understand that the Harry Potter book has LOTS of characters and LOTS of voices for the reader to perform.

True, these books do have a great deal of characters but many of them would rarely be speaking.

Return to Top
#92789 - 07/03/03 03:14 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
A couple of questions for discussion:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

Return to Top
#92790 - 07/03/03 03:18 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
LCM Offline
LCM
Quote:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

1) I'm not sure what role The DA will play, but I think Luna will be an instrumental part.
2) Snape is going to have to get the job eventually, but whoever it is, I think it will remain a revolving-door position.

Return to Top
#92791 - 07/03/03 03:22 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I'm still holding out hope for a return of Lupin. Since a centaur is now teaching and we still have Hagrid, why shouldn't the werewolf be allowed to return. Yes I know he resigned, but in light of the situation involving Harry and the obvious need for internal protection at the school . . .

Return to Top
#92792 - 07/03/03 03:30 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I think the DA will be huge, I have a feeling that the battle will come to Hogwarts and the students will be the ones fighting as their parents did. I don't think Neville is "the one" but I do think he will become a very strong wizard, not only to vindicate his parents but show his grandmother how good he is .
I think Snape will take over though it'd be really nice to see Lupin back. And in a "happy world" ending I think Harry would end up teaching it. By the way who thinks Harry, Ron, hermione and neville will make it out alive in the end?

Return to Top
#92793 - 07/03/03 03:33 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I like Lupin too. I think with Lord Voldemort's return finally being accepted by the Ministry of Magic and also as you have mentioned, the centaur teaching Divination, there is a better than good chance for Lupin to return.
I also think that there is more to Luna. She can see things that others can't, and lets face it, the ones that are not readily accepted by the mainstream group have come to show their inner strength.
Neville-overcoming the trauma from his parent's attacks and learning to defend himself and those he cherishes
Ron-youngest brother of a finanicially struggling wizarding family, always feeling like he is in someone else's shadows--wins the Quidditch Cup
Harry-treated as an outcast by his muggle relations, heralded as a fraud by the Daily Prophet--redeemed when the truth is finally out and accepted
Hermione-thought of as too serious, not pretty, bossy-helps save the day by her intelligence and has a famous Quidditch player (not to mention Ron as well) that likes her for her
The list can go on and on... Hagrid, Lupin, Sirus , Snape, .....
So, what's your feelings on Percy?

Return to Top
#92794 - 07/03/03 03:39 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I wasn't suprised by Percy's actions but i'd love to see what he does now that the minisrty has been proven a fool for the past year... i think he's a sad character really... i mean look how much fun the twins have. I loved when they left Hogwarts, i laughed so hard.

Return to Top
#92795 - 07/03/03 03:42 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I've never thought highly of Percy. I actually expected the parting of ways with his family that was shown in this book. I'm not sure if he will stand up and admit that he was wrong and that his parents were right. It's not really in his nature. I do think that he would be an easy target for Voldemort to control however.

I too think that Luna will fit in well with the others. I almost want to see her and Neville get together. It would make a cute pairing. I was also glad that Neville is developing into a much better wizard (in stardards of Neville, that is) with the help of his friends. I don't feel that it is actually a lack of talent but more a lack of confidence.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13