BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Thread Options
#93046 - 08/08/03 07:46 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I've just checked and some of the movie scene photos show Hermione in a mauve looking zippered sweatsuit style jacket and a pair of jeans. (The ones in the shack.) Harry is in muggle looking clothing too.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#93047 - 08/08/03 08:48 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Isn't it a shame? Right now I am not as anxious about the movie as I was with CoS.

Return to Top
#93048 - 08/08/03 11:21 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

A couple of questions for discussion:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

I feel as we are getting closer to the end of the series of books and Harry is growing up... he may become the NEW Dark Arts Teacher... I think everything we are seeing is all in preperation for exactly what Dumbledorf has inteneded... to strengthen Harry for the inevitble fight with Voldermort, with Neville of course and for Harry to be part of Hogworts and the Auror's

Return to Top
#93049 - 08/08/03 11:22 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I ENTERED!!!! And I haven't read the book!!!! Muhahahahah

Ok it's late and I don't want to work anymore

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#93050 - 08/11/03 03:40 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Naughty Dawnie!

Return to Top
#93051 - 08/11/03 03:49 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
As I was going through OOTF last night, I seem to recall that both Angelina and Alicia are leaving after that year. So Ginny can try out for Chaser and there will still be one position open. Do you think Hermione will give it a try?

Return to Top
#93052 - 08/11/03 04:18 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I just saw a link through Netscape that Mike Newell will be directing Goblet of Fire. It will begin production in April, overlapping with production of Prisoner of Azkaban.

Return to Top
#93053 - 08/11/03 05:45 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i don't know about hermione. i mean she has shown that she can fly, but she's never shown much interest in it... i doubt she'd give up homeowrk time for practice , maybe neville will?

Return to Top
#93054 - 08/11/03 06:18 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
Quote:

A couple of questions for discussion:

1) What type of role, if any, do you think that Dumbledore's Army will play in the remaining books?

2) Do you think that the next Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor will last more than one year?

1. I think the DA will continue with Harry teaching it. That's why I don't think he will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. He wouldn't want to teach all of his defense moves to the Slitherins.

2. Maybe they will let Snape finally teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. He still wants to teach that class. I wonder why?

I don't think they will let Harry teach. Think of the power that would give him! He would be an equal to Prof. McGonagill (sp).

Whoever it is will only last one year. They are the catalyst in each story.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to Top
#93055 - 08/12/03 05:19 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think the DA will become much more open in the coming books, there is no need to hide it now and i think both harry and dumbledore will want to prepare as many people as they can. i don't know if snape would be intrusted with that postion because he's already shown dumbledore that he lets his emotions get in his way of teaching a very very neccesary thing. one could say that snape got his ultimate revenge on sirius because his failing to teach harry to keep lord V out of his head caused sirius to die.

Return to Top
#93056 - 08/12/03 05:28 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
His stopping the Occlumency lessons with Harry could also pose the question of whether he stopped them on purpose to prevent Harry from keeping Voldemort out of his mind.

Snape is quite skilled at Occlumency, could he be good enough to keep Dumbledore fooled? Dumbledore obviously thinks he is good enough to fool Voldemort.

Return to Top
#93057 - 08/12/03 07:57 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
good point i hadn't though of that before... i do remember that harry asked snape why he refers to lord v as the dark lord and only death eaters call him that... then he was interupted and never answered... which from the analysis book anytime someone is interupted whatever they were talking about is an important clue... soooo....

Return to Top
#93058 - 08/13/03 12:12 AM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm back! Whew. It sure is hard to stay away from BOL.
There is definately more to Snape than we know so far. Book 6 should give us more details. I really need to go on to mugglenet.com to get the scoop on GoF.
I'll be back.

Return to Top
#93059 - 08/13/03 04:00 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
As I have already confessed, I like the character of Snape (interesting, not I want to be like him) but how could he not be evil? I mean after seeing into Harry's mind and knowing the torture that this child has faced his entire life, to still treat him badly and act as though he is a spoiled brat, it just doesn't make sense.

And I still don't understand how Voldemort could not know that something was up with him if he had in fact went to Dumbledore's side (unless of course through Occlumency he is able to and does lie to him) once he had dealt with him while existing in the body of Quirrel. He had to know what Snape was up to. didn't he? Obviously, he is lying to at least one of the two.

Return to Top
#93060 - 08/13/03 05:22 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think thats what scares me the most about snape.. if he is as good at Occlumency to fool either voldemort OR dumbledore.. then whos to say he is not actaully fooling the other... did that make sense?
I think the reason he's so hard on harry is that he too had a tough childhood but he got none of the fame or benefits that harry's gotten. the green eyed monster raised it's ugly head

Return to Top
#93061 - 08/14/03 01:25 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Who knows, maybe he is playing them both and wants all the power and glory for himself.

I do wonder if Dumbledore really trusts him though. Obviously given his past, he could prove a very good Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor. Maybe Dumbledore knows more than he is letting on. Also, it could be that Dumbledore realizes that Snape could seriously stand in the way of Harry mastering the subject.

But anyone that knows Harry, realizes that fame is not all it is cracked up to be. Take the statement by Susan Bones in the fifth book. I agree that Snape is jealous of Harry in possibly many ways, most of them revolving around his past with Harry's father and co.

Return to Top
#93062 - 08/14/03 01:32 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
This is one of the funniest things..

This is from an article in today's local paper "FDIC makes case against alleged 'architect' of Keystone bank collapse".

"Harry Potter, the FDIC's board-certified forensic fraud examiner, working in the capacity of sorcerer of securitization testified the loan-securitization program resulted in losses of $261 million to the bank."

Wouldn't you have to have this guy's name? Sorcerer of securitizaion?? Is this akin to an auror?

Return to Top
#93063 - 08/14/03 04:43 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
a huge light bulb just went off on my lunch break... much with the help of my HP analysis book... they were looking at GoF... throught out there have been talks about nevilles memory and how bad it is and that since JKR keeps mentioning it that it is important... well they were talking about memory charms specfic to betha in Gof (lockhart too in CoS)-- that when siruis knew her she had a great memory, bagman talks about how bumbling she was and how forgetful.. and lord v mentions that she had a very strong memory charm he had to break (placed on her by crouch sr i'm guessing since she knew about his son)... so anyway in GoF, in the pensive Harry sees the trial for the Lestranges (sp) etal for getting longbottom after lord v was "vanquished". well to get to the point- it points out the fact that neville would have been around two at the time of the attack on his parents and that since harry seems to have "memories" from his attack at age 1 that neville may have had a memory charm on him as a toddler and that it has affected him ever since. that he may have known or seen something or someone very important that they did not want him knowing. also points out that sirius states that when they come to hogwarts that snape already knew more hexs than most seven years and ran around with the lestranges... hmmmmmm and now know what we know from book five... what do you think this could all mean?

Return to Top
#93064 - 08/14/03 04:50 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
It is a possibility. Snape has to be tied to many things that as of now are undisclosed. Neville has been through a great deal, some that he remembers and some that he does not. It could explain though, why Snape rarely says much to Neville even though Neville almost always makes a mess of something while in potions class.

Return to Top
#93065 - 08/14/03 04:55 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i wonder back and forth on if snape was there at the attack and did he perhaps actaully partake in the attack OR did he do something to save neville while still looking like he was on the bad side? all i know is that i need book 6 to come out!

Return to Top
#93066 - 08/14/03 05:15 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Well, we most likely will be waiting at least a couple of years for the next book. That is one of the reasons this thread is so useful. We can discuss everything that has happened to this point and throw in a few speculations of what is to come or even what may have led up to it.

I will be reading the books yet again and again before the next comes out. Every time I read them, I notice something that I missed before or have a thought about something that could be.

I am anxious for OOTP to come out in paperback also. It is much easier for me to read in that form as it is not so heavy or large and is easier to transport.

Do you think this thread will go on until the next book is out? Oh dear, we may have need to start a new one.

Return to Top
#93067 - 08/14/03 07:46 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i think with all the details and mysteries in these books we can easy keep this post going and then won't it be even more fun to find out which theories we came up with were right! i hope we keep the same thread going... just to see how many post we can have in one thread!

Return to Top
#93068 - 08/14/03 08:04 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm there. I'm sorry I haven't been participating much. I've been up to my patootee in work and such.
Examiners, my school, my kids getting ready for school, banking school, and helping my husband find a job have got me a bit strung out. My coffee intake has tripled, and that still isn't enough.
I haven't finished a book in 2 weeks. Ugh!
Okay, enough of that. ::whew, that felt good::

A big clue that Sirius was going to die was that his animangus was a big black dog, aka, Grim.

Also, I read a very interesting theory that Harry probably is a metamorphagus like Tonks. Supporting this was the fact that Harry's hair always grows back and looks just like his father's hair. In order to change one's appearance, one must concentrate hard in what they want the change to be. Harry (subconciously) wanted to be like his dad. Every time Petunia cut his hair it grew back to how it was before.

Another interesting Sirius clue is:

On Harry's first night at Grimmauld Place, the entire house sits down to dinner. In total, 13 of them eat together. According to Trelawney in PoA, when 13 people dine together, the first one to rise is the first to die. No prizes for guessing who rises first here: "Sirius started to rise from his chair."

I need to read each book more in detail. Maybe we should each read the books at the same time so we are all on the same page (not literally ) and can discuss our findings of each book by month.
This thread is too cool, because I feel a little out of place on HP boards. At least here, I am pretty confident we are all adults and will keep it clean.

Return to Top
#93069 - 08/15/03 12:49 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
glad to see you back hermione, i was getting a little worried . i think it would be nice to go through book by book... then we can focus on those theories one at a time... i enjoy this thread because since we are well read adults we can bring so much more to the discussion than god bless a teen.. though i was a well read teen as well.

p.s. small bit of proof that snape really may be on the good side and pulling one on lord v... when "moody"/crouch jr has harry in his office after the battle with lord V and crouch jr is getting ready to kill harry... three people apear in the foe glass on his desk... dumbledore, mcgonagall and snape. and snape goes up to the foe mirror and sees himself in it... so he is a foe to the death eaters... my book puts forth the idea that if neville really was memory charmed that part of the memory could be realted to crouch jrs real guilt or not with the attack on the longbottoms... that perhaps he learned the dark arts in azkaban.. though i think he was a rotten apple through and through.

Return to Top
#93070 - 08/15/03 01:55 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

Maybe we should each read the books at the same time so we are all on the same page (not literally ) and can discuss our findings of each book by month.

OK then, Chapter One, Book One . . . .

No seriously, whatever is fine fine with me. I've just gotten out the first book to go through again anyway. I'm not sure how to distinguish month in all cases though. Sometimes they tell you, but not always. Should we go with chapters or groups of chapters (i.e. Harry before learning he is a wizard, Harry with Hagrid through the first trip on the Hogwarts Express, etc.) or something else?

Return to Top
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13