BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Thread Options
#92796 - 07/03/03 05:38 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Ok another question. If you were able to remove memories or store them to look back upon or retrieve later, why would you ever replace the sad or painful memories? Obviously, some could be learning experiences but why keep them?

I mean let's be realistic for a minute, if Snape was so upset by the treatment he received from James and Sirius when they were younger, why would he choose to keep the memories at all? (Granted, it creates an understanding for Harry to see the memory and realize that his father may have well been named Malfoy rather than Potter.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#92797 - 07/03/03 05:52 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Maybe it's one of those 'so traumatic, I can't get over it, let alone forget it' type of memories? (fishing here)
I agree it did help us understand Snape's hatred for James and how that trangresses unto Harry.

I agree, Percy is a weasel, and very susceptible to Voldemort.
I too, liked Fred and George's exit of Hogwarts.
I found these OOTP quizzes yesterday. Check them out.

Return to Top
#92798 - 07/03/03 06:17 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Pretty Good. You might also want to look at these assorted Harry Potter Quizzes. Quizzes

Return to Top
#92799 - 07/03/03 07:56 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

Don't get on the Moose's bad side or he'll pull a lion from his hat.

We have the appropriate house.

Return to Top
#92800 - 07/03/03 07:56 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Potter
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
J. K. Rowling said in an interview recently that she may not let Harry survive to the end.

I gues this is one thing that makes these books so engrossing - you never know what will happen next. But I cannnot imagine killing off your main character. But why would she hint at this? She doesn't need to drum up more interest for goodness sake! She has enough money.

Return to Top
#92801 - 07/03/03 07:59 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

But why would she hint at this?

With the prophecy being revealed, the only way to avoid giving away the ending was to make the statement that she did. If she said that Harry would survive, that would lead to the conclusion that Voldemort would be defeated. If she said Harry would die, Voldemort would win. This keeps all possibilities open.

Return to Top
#92802 - 07/07/03 06:52 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
What will happen to the House of Black now that Sirius is gone?

Will the vile little house elf remain in the house or will he leave seeing that he no longer has a family to serve?

Return to Top
#92803 - 07/07/03 07:44 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
LCM Offline
LCM
I would assume that the house will go to Harry, and that Kreature is free. Kreature being freed could cause some problems for the Order in the next book. He isn't bound to silence any more.

Return to Top
#92804 - 07/07/03 08:06 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
What about Tonks? She is Sirius' cousin. I was thinking the house would go to her as she is the next living relative aside from Narcissa Mafloy. Kreacher will probably has to answer to her (Tonks), which is funny, since he completely ignores anything she says. Or then again, maybe his dream of being a stuffed head in the hall will come true. What a sorid little creature he is.

Return to Top
#92805 - 07/07/03 09:16 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Let's see how good of a godfather Sirius really was. I do hope that he left everything to Harry. To give the house to Tonks would be ok, but not the Malfoys, but then that would create many problems for the order now wouldn't it?

I don't know about the house elf heads on the wall. Kind of creepy. Why would they not have removed them anyway? The house looked as though it were inhabited by the darkest of wizards. You would think that during the cleaning of the house, they would have disposed of most of that stuff. I certainly would have.

Return to Top
#92806 - 07/08/03 12:58 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I can only imagine the fit Hermione would have if the house and elf went to Harry... She'd make Harry pay him or something I have to say that I was very surprised by the connections between Sirus and the Death Eaters. No wonder everyone suspected him before. Intersting too that when he was at school he was in Gryffindor, while almost all his cousins would have been in Slytherin.

Return to Top
#92807 - 07/08/03 01:06 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I can only imagine the fit Hermione would have if the house and elf went to Harry... She'd make Harry pay him or something I have to say that I was very surprised by the connections between Sirus and the Death Eaters. No wonder everyone suspected him before. Intersting too that when he was at school he was in Gryffindor, while almost all his cousins would have been in Slytherin.

Just proves that Dumbledore was right in telling Harry that it is the choices that are made that determine the type of wizard (good or bad)and the house to which they are assigned. I wonder what the going rate for a house elf would be today in London.

Return to Top
#92808 - 07/08/03 03:31 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
OK here are my questions:
1. I figure that Ron and Hermione will get together in the end. But do you think Harry and Ginny will end up together?

2. If Harry lives in the last book, what will he do as a job? I think Harry will replace Dumbledore as headmaster of the school in the final book.

3. Do you thing Snape will teach DADA in the 7th book?

Return to Top
#92809 - 07/08/03 03:41 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

OK here are my questions:
1. I figure that Ron and Hermione will get together in the end. But do you think Harry and Ginny will end up together?

2. If Harry lives in the last book, what will he do as a job? I think Harry will replace Dumbledore as headmaster of the school in the final book.

3. Do you thing Snape will teach DADA in the 7th book?

1. I hope not. They are beginning to become too much like brother and sister.

2. Harry wants to become an auror. Let's see how he did on his O.W.L.s to find out if it is a possibility. He could also take over as the minister of magic, you know they need a new one.

3. I'm really not sure that Snape will survive that long. How can he spy on Voldemort anyway? Did Voldemort not inhabit the body of Quirrel during the first book? I would really prefer to see him live but would prefer to see Lupin teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts instead.

Return to Top
#92810 - 07/08/03 03:41 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
O'kay, here are my opinions:
1. I think Harry and Ginny will get together. At least I am hoping. She is so spirited, and then Ron and Harry can be related by marriage! (My sister and I married best friends, its really cool 'cause they are like brothers and we always have alot of fun together::not Harry Potter related info:: I tend to ramble )

2. Maybe Harry will be the DADA teacher? I mean, he already is 'teaching' a group of students. I really want Lupin back at Hogwarts, though .

3. I don't see Snape becoming the DADA teacher. Wouldn't he be angry if Harry got his coveted job? Ouch .

Of course, everything above is pure speculation.

Return to Top
#92811 - 07/08/03 03:43 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i could see Ron with Hermione, Neville with either Ginny or Luna... I don't see where harry's love life will end up. if he lives I can see him becoming the DDA teacher (for more than one year ), maybe dumbledore will take over for fudge... and prof mcgonagall will take over hogwarts... though somewhere deep down i think dumbledore will not live out these books...

Return to Top
#92812 - 07/08/03 04:12 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Check out this editorial on Harry Potter and adult readers. I think it is very well written.

Return to Top
#92813 - 07/08/03 05:20 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
Also in the first book when Ron looked it the "Mirror" he saw himself as captin of the Quidditch team and Head boy. Looks like he's on his way!

Return to Top
#92814 - 07/08/03 05:32 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I agree about Ron I have gone back and re-read 1-4 since reading 5 and there are soo many little points that are now obvious and "important clues" like in Azakban, Harry tells Dumbledore about Treadway's prediction during his final and Dumbledore says that brings her total number of true predictions to two... one simple line that now takes on a whole new meaning. especally given Dumbledore's explaination to Harry about why he never told him before about what was going on. also in goblet early on "moody" shows the class the "cruciatus curse" and neville's reaction. Though Harry finds out what happened to Neville's parents later on in the book... that moment when Neville is looking at the curse that "did in" his parents really hit me after "order".

Return to Top
#92815 - 07/08/03 05:39 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
LCM Offline
LCM
Quote:

...Harry tells Dumbledore about Treadway's prediction during his final and Dumbledore says that brings her total number of true predictions to two...

I think you meant " Prof. Trelawney". Treadway was the name of a small hotel in the town where I grew up. Funny to hear the name again.

I did the same thing. I reread 1-4 and WOW I really picked up on a lot of fortuitous statements. She is a gifted story teller.

Return to Top
#92816 - 07/08/03 05:41 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i did... didn't have my book with me for proper spelling... hate having work get in the way.

Return to Top
#92817 - 07/08/03 07:18 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Ok, I too have no book at my disposal currently so forgive the errors in spelling, etc.

What do you think future Hogsmeade visits will be like, and will Harry even be allowed to go?

Have we heard the last about Cho?

Will Harry have an enjoyable summer this time or will he once again be miserable?

Return to Top
#92818 - 07/08/03 07:23 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Perhaps we should have a question of the day. That way we could thoroughly discuss a topic each day and by the time we get everything discussed we can start reading the next book.

Return to Top
#92819 - 07/08/03 07:23 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
I don't know about Hogsmead. Just because his God-father is dead doesn't mean his permission is revoked. But is Harry safe there?

I think Harry is done with Cho. Maybe he'll date Luna.

I think Harry will spend a lot of time with Mrs. Figg! and her cats over the summer.

Return to Top
#92820 - 07/08/03 07:30 PM Re: Don't enter if you've not read latest Harry Po
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Very interesting questions.
I think Harry will be allowed to go. He is getting older, and I think Dumbledore has realized not to shelter him so much. I mean, he was sneaking out at 13 to go, so why wouldn't he now?
I sure hope we have seen the last of her. She annoyed me.
And as far as his summer goes, that will be very interesting seeing as the Dursley's had a strict talking to.
I have been thinking about the 'house' in earlier discussions. We were talking about the 'Noble House of Black' aka The Order headquarters right? I mean, Sirius hated, despised, detested, the house. To me it would kinda be like inheriting number 4 Privet Drive. Not exactly my ideal of a good thing. What ever happened to the house Sirius' uncle left him? Now, if that one went to Harry, that would be cool.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13