Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#930472 - 03/26/08 04:05 PM BSA Independent audit
VirginiaBanker Offline
100 Club
We do not have an internal auditor on staff and currently outsource this function to a local accounting firm. I noticed that BSA was on their annual audit schedule. Can this firm be used to do the required annual independent BSA audit? I wasn't sure if they would be considered truly independent.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#931250 - 03/27/08 01:25 PM Re: BSA Independent audit VirginiaBanker
Bobw Offline
Gold Star
Bobw
New England
I would think if they were certified as having BSA experience/knowledge they would serve that process. However, many general audit firms might not have the certification.

GO RED SOX!!!

Return to Top
#931345 - 03/27/08 02:26 PM Re: BSA Independent audit Bobw
MidMOAuditor Offline
100 Club
Missouri
You already outsource your independent audit function to them so how could there be an independence issue? Unless they designed your BSA/AML program, I think you should be fine.

On the other hand, I would definetely ensure they have the qualifications to perform the BSA audit. Trust me, just because it's an accounting firm and might have a CPA or two on staff, doesn't mean they know anything about BSA/AML regulation. It's an entirely different beast.

Find out if they have auditors that either have a lot of banking experience or some kind of certification and ask what banks they have performed BSA audits for near you. You can always make a friendly call to their Compliance/BSA officer to inquire.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z