Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#931287 - 03/27/08 01:48 PM More good news about the Gov.....
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
From an email I received:

Dear Concerned American:

Despite receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. taxpayer-funded aid, Mongolia has begun a full-scale assault on the rule of law with brazen disregard for legal contracts with Western natural resources firms. Worse, the Mongolian government is "shaking down" Western private sector companies that do business in Mongolia through confiscatory taxation, and undermining property rights by intimidating companies into relinquishing equity in their commercial enterprises to the state.

And, as if Mongolia's disregard for the rule of law and property rights weren't bad enough, here's the kicker: The hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. foreign aid to Mongolia -- care of American taxpayers -- IS GOING TO DIRECTLY BENEFIT VLADIMIR PUTIN's RUSSIA!

Contact President Bush Today! Use this link to send him a letter demanding that American aid dollars be for countries committed to upholding our democratic and free-market ideals.

Specifically, American taxpayers -- through the Millennium Challenge Corporation -- are giving Mongolia nearly $300 million in foreign aid to improve its rail system, which is co-owned by the Russian government.

In addition, the US Trade and Development Agency has recently authorized nearly $400,000 of for a study on a proposed rail line between a coal mine in Southern Mongolia and the railroad.
In other words, taxpayer-funded foreign aid to Mongolia is being used to undermine American ideals and interests, and embolden anti-freedom elites not only in Mongolia, but in Moscow as well.
Why is Mongolia flouting Western interests and ideals despite our nation's generosity, you ask?

Simply put, the Russians and a few elite Mongolians would benefit if Western firms were forced to stop doing business in Mongolia and the region.

This is an outrage that must not go unchecked.

Contact President Bush Today! Use this link to send him a letter demanding that American aid dollars be for countries committed to upholding our democratic and free-market ideals.

During his first term in office, President Bush created the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) to transform America's foreign aid efforts by demanding accountability from nations receiving U.S. taxpayer-funded assistance. Under the program, U.S. development aid through the MCC is supposed to only go to nations that demonstrate a commitment to promoting political and economic freedom, reining in corruption and respecting the rule of law, among other clearly-defined goals.

Yet, despite those clearly-defined goals and benchmarks, reports continue to pour in documenting the Mongolian government's attacks on the values Americans hold dear, including those demanded by the MCC.

It is unacceptable that Mongolia continues to ignore the MCC's criteria. And, it is equally disturbing that the U.S. government continues to spend your hard-earned taxpayer dollars on aid programs that will ultimately deepen the pockets of Vladimir Putin, who is openly critical of the United States and our interests.

The U.S. government must send a very clear message to Mongolia: Eliminate corruption, establish the rule of law and adopt legitimate property rights protections or risk losing U.S. foreign aid.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#931288 - 03/27/08 01:50 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... MB Guy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
What?????

Return to Top
#931291 - 03/27/08 01:51 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Don't make the Mongolians mad, look at what Agha and Genghis did when they were pissed off...

Return to Top
#931306 - 03/27/08 01:55 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... HappyGilmore
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Well, Mongolia did sign a maritime ship-boarding agreement with the US late last year......Don't ask me why we asked them in the first place....

Return to Top
#931310 - 03/27/08 01:56 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
so we can issue a press release

Return to Top
#931318 - 03/27/08 02:02 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Why would we need a ship-boarding agreement with them? Isn't Mongolia landlocked?

Return to Top
#931319 - 03/27/08 02:02 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
Well, Mongolia did sign a maritime ship-boarding agreement with the US late last year......Don't ask me why we asked them in the first place....

Aren't they a landlocked country?

Return to Top
#931320 - 03/27/08 02:02 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Retired DQ
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Jinx!

Return to Top
#931331 - 03/27/08 02:10 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... #Just Jay
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
they have pretty good beef though!

and Bar-B--Q

Return to Top
#931338 - 03/27/08 02:18 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

and Bar-B--Q

'Tis true. The Mongolian Beef at PF Changs absolutely kicks a$$.

Return to Top
#931361 - 03/27/08 02:37 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... TheManofSteel
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: BlackDog
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

and Bar-B--Q

'Tis true. The Mongolian Beef at PF Changs absolutely kicks a$$.

You are absolutely correct sir!

Return to Top
#931362 - 03/27/08 02:41 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... TheManofSteel
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
LOL!
I was in Mongolia two summers ago - my family spent about ten days taking a horseback tour of the Alti Mountains. They actually did have Mongolian Grill in the capital, Ulaan Baataar (if not spelled that way, something close to it). My Mom was all excited because it was the same as what we had in the States, so she was impressed that what we had was actually somewhat authentic. Then we found out that the resturaunt was part of an American chain out of Denver. Sheesh. We did get some real Mongolian food when we were out on the trail and some of it was really good! Horhog (i.e. lamb stew) is excellent, marmot is okay, but I don't recommend the yak curd.

Return to Top
#931368 - 03/27/08 02:46 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
A_G Online
10K Club
Aren't they landlocked?

Return to Top
#931386 - 03/27/08 02:52 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Aren't they landlocked?

kissmack!

Return to Top
#931399 - 03/27/08 02:58 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Retired DQ
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
I'm pretty sure it's landlocked, but I'd have to check my map.

Return to Top
#931441 - 03/27/08 03:22 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
no, no our PF Chang's is right on the intercoastal

Return to Top
#931450 - 03/27/08 03:26 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
You know, when we were in Dallas at the mall, they had a Mongolian bbq grill and it was very good. We don't have one nearby here, but that's okay because AZ is landlocked. And, if I remember right from high school, so is Mongolia. But, I was more interested in chewing gum and staring out the window at the corn fields so I could be wrong.

Return to Top
#931457 - 03/27/08 03:31 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzel
I'm pretty sure it's landlocked, but I'd have to check my map.

Oh, they're landlocked for sure. That's why I didn't understand the interest (on the US side) for getting them to sign the treaty.

Return to Top
#931494 - 03/27/08 03:47 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
Are you sure they're landlocked? For some reason I want to say Olgiy is a port town...

Return to Top
#931514 - 03/27/08 03:55 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzel
Are you sure they're landlocked? For some reason I want to say Olgiy is a port town...

I'm going with completely land-locked. Olgiy is, if memory serves, in the foothills of mountains in the northwest corner of the country.

Return to Top
#931548 - 03/27/08 04:14 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#931556 - 03/27/08 04:20 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
Well if you actually remember Olgiy, I might have to cede the point to you. But with that great big Gobi beach they have, I just can't help but thinking there must be ocean there somewhere...

Return to Top
#931568 - 03/27/08 04:29 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Jaeger Schnitzel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Yeah, it's like Wildwood, but bigger. (But with just as many Russians....)

Return to Top
#931570 - 03/27/08 04:29 PM Re: More good news about the Gov..... Hrothgar Geiger
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LMAO!!! Ain't that the truth!

Return to Top