Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#930649 - 03/26/08 05:54 PM A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Rev. Wright in a different light

Quote:
I have been a member of Trinity, a church with an almost entirely African-American congregation, for more than 25 years. I am, however, a white male. From a decidedly different perspective than most Trinitarians, I have heard Wright preach about racial inequality many times, in unvarnished and passionate terms.

In Obama's recent speech in Philadelphia on racial issues confronting our nation, the senator eloquently observed that Rev. Wright's sermons reflect the difficult experiences and frustrations of a generation.

It is important that we understand the dynamic Obama spoke about.

It also is important that we not let media coverage and political gamesmanship isolate selected remarks by Wright to the exclusion of anything else that might define him more accurately and completely.

I find it very troubling that we have distilled Wright's 35-year ministry to a few phrases; no context whatsoever has been offered or explored.

I do have a bit of personal context. About 26 years ago, I became engaged to my wife, an African-American. She was at that time and remains a member of Trinity. Somewhere between the ring and the altar, my wife had second thoughts and broke off the engagement. Her decision was grounded in race: So committed to black causes, the daughter of parents subjected to unthinkable prejudice over the years, an "up-and-coming" leader in the young black community, how could she marry a white man?

Rev. Wright, whom I had met only in passing at the time and who was equally if not more outspoken about "black" issues than he is today, somehow found out about my wife's decision. He called and asked her to "drop everything" and meet with him at Trinity. He spent four hours explaining his reaction to her decision. Racial divisions were unacceptable, he said, no matter how great or prolonged the pain that caused them. God would not want us to assess or make decisions about people based on race. The world could make progress on issues of race only if people were prepared to break down barriers that were much easier to let stand.

Rev. Wright was pretty persuasive; he presided over our wedding a few months later. In the years since, I have watched in utter awe as Wright has overseen and constructed a support system for thousands in need on the South Side that is far more impressive and effective than any governmental program possibly could approach. And never in my life have I been welcomed more warmly and sincerely than at Trinity. Never.

I hope that as a nation, we take advantage of the opportunity the recent focus on Rev. Wright presents—to advance our dialogue on race in a meaningful and unprecedented way. To do so, however, we need to appreciate that passion born of difficulty does not always manifest itself in the kind of words with which we are most comfortable. We also need to recognize that the basic goodness of people like Jeremiah Wright is not always packaged conventionally.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#930662 - 03/26/08 06:02 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I call BS. Don't believe this story as anything but total spin by someone who's involved in Obama's campaign.

Return to Top
#930675 - 03/26/08 06:16 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
On what basis do you assume that it is an Obama supporter?
Perhaps, contrary to current belief, the Reverend is respected and has done good for his community?

Return to Top
#930698 - 03/26/08 06:32 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Imagine
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
After all it must be hard to overcome the effects of the aids virus and crack cocaine introduced by "the white man".

Return to Top
#930700 - 03/26/08 06:35 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Blade Scrapper
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
now i'm even more certain that i am not going to vote for rev wright for president!

Return to Top
#930725 - 03/26/08 06:52 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Hated By Some
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Racial divisions were unacceptable, he said, no matter how great or prolonged the pain that caused them

and yet, he continues to pepper his sermons with them...

I agree, this is a BS response...

For all Obama believers, I have some high-elevation land in NO for sale, never flooded...contact me at 1-800-ima-fool

Return to Top
#930751 - 03/26/08 07:13 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I have no doubts that Rev. Wright has done some good in his life, maybe lots of good.

That doesn't negate his derogatory speech regarding the US or race relations, nor does it negate Obamma subjecting his kids to Wright's rhetoric for however long they have been going in the 20 years that he has, or speaking up against Wright's statements.

Return to Top
#930756 - 03/26/08 07:18 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright MB Guy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
But he helped a typical white old lady across the street once.

Return to Top
#931216 - 03/27/08 12:54 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
On what basis do you assume that it is an Obama supporter?
Perhaps, contrary to current belief, the Reverend is respected and has done good for his community?

The evidence I've seen is that the Rev hates whitey. What makes me believe this is an Obama supporter? First, he goes to Obama's church. Secondly, there is nothing on this guy to show he's not. Do you think a Hillary supporter goes to Obama's church or a McCain supporter goes to Obama's church, AND wrote this?

Ocham's razor, my friend. It's quite simple to deduce that this is a bunch of [censored]. In the words of another man that I detest as much as the Rev, "If it does not fit, you must acquit."

Return to Top
#931228 - 03/27/08 01:00 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a horse? not...

Return to Top
#931235 - 03/27/08 01:05 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I'd say a white man who goes to a black church and says a man who spews racial epithets from the pulpit is really a man who wants no ethnic divide looks like a fake, sounds like a fake, and is a fake.

Return to Top
#931307 - 03/27/08 01:56 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
I'd say a white man who goes to a black church and says a man who spews racial epithets from the pulpit is really a man who wants no ethnic divide looks like a fake, sounds like a fake, and is a fake.

You would say it? or you are saying it?

Return to Top
#931311 - 03/27/08 01:57 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

You would say it? or you are saying it?

I would say it, but only if I had someone to step out of the shadows and say I didn't really mean it if I run for office.

Return to Top
#931363 - 03/27/08 02:42 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
BF:
Because one attends a certain Church, they have to support Obama?
Did you think that perhaps the author is a supporter of Rev. Wright and not Obama?

Return to Top
#931382 - 03/27/08 02:51 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Imagine
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
BF:
Did you think that perhaps the author is a supporter of Rev. Wright and not Obama?

For Sale: Bridge overlooking East River. Good Condition. Nice Area. PM w/ Best Offer.

Return to Top
#931416 - 03/27/08 03:09 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
BF:

Neo, have you ever heard of Ocham's Razor? The simplest explanation is the most likely truth.

First, how many white men do you think are going to go to a church where the pastor spouts racial epithets against them on a regular basis?

Second, what is the timing of this article?

Third, how likely is it that someone who spouts racially divisive epithets is really going to be someone who does what this man said he did?

It does not make sense. However, the idea that this article is politically motivated DOES.

Return to Top
#931623 - 03/27/08 05:07 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I imagine this conversation:

Neo - "Mommy - BF is being mean to me. He is talking bad about Obama"

Neo's Mom - "That's okay honey, don't you pay that mean man any mind"

Neo - "but Mommy, he's a poo-poo head and I don't like it when people don't agree with me"

NM - "don't you worry about it. Your right, you always are. People who disagree with you just don't understand. Now your Daddy and I are going off to the Country Club for dinner, so the maid is going to cook something for you"

Neo - "No Mommy, don't go. You and Daddy are always leaving me here by myself."

NM - "Oh honey, you know tonight is bridge night. Why don't you invite some friends over and we'll serve them milk and warm cookies, I'll have the cook make some."

Neo - "But Mommy, you know my only friends are on the internet. I've never met them in person."

NM - "That's nice, dear. See you later"

Return to Top
#931635 - 03/27/08 05:15 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

Return to Top
#931844 - 03/27/08 08:38 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright #Just Jay
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Typical race hustler: “The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know, there’s a reaction that’s been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that’s just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it.” —Barack Obama “[W]e need a leader who can finally move beyond the divisive politics of Washington and bring Democrats, independents and Republicans together to get things done.” —Barack Obama, who apparently can’t move beyond the black and white divide

Return to Top
#932162 - 03/28/08 12:31 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright TheManofSteel
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
i nominate happy's post for best post of the year.

Return to Top
#932214 - 03/28/08 01:35 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright kitten
A_G Online
10K Club
We love your face
We'd really like to sell you

Return to Top
#932826 - 03/28/08 10:04 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright A_G
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Happy, I think your post was very belittling and nasty. So what if you don't agree with Neo, or think that he is naive in his thinking. Do you really have to be such a bully to show it? I think you have been hanging out with X too much.

Return to Top
#932828 - 03/28/08 10:07 PM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright CRAatBOK
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
KCGeoQueen, there is a huge difference between being naive, and being a total jackass!

I'll leave it at that.

Return to Top
#932876 - 03/29/08 04:38 AM Re: A White Man's Take on Rev. Wright CRAatBOK
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
i nominate happy's post for best post of the year

Quote:
Happy, I think your post was very belittling and nasty

Wow, such divergent views...

I don't think he is naive, I think he knows exactly what he is doing