Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#93298 - 07/02/03 01:43 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did ya ever notice how posts get tangled. I mean, c'mon - I post a sad farewell to two actors, take a half day off, come back to see no acknowledgement of Buddy Hackett and then a battle over whether or not a politician should be acknowledged or not. I was very aware that Strom also died this week but after reading threads (especially with your confrontational style Tenaciousipso) I think political discussions are the last thing this watercooler needs. I don't even like to discuss personal politics with people i work with - everyone is entitled to differing opinions when it comes to politics, but they are very personal opinions - that is why I left off Strom in my post.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#93299 - 07/02/03 01:51 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Did anyone catch Last Comic Standing last night? They included a brief tribute to Buddy Hackett at the end of the show. (Buddy was one of the judges on the debut show.)

Return to Top
#93300 - 07/02/03 01:58 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Debbie Reynolds

Return to Top
#93301 - 07/02/03 02:37 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Shipoopi will be missed.

But I'd rather experience the sorrow of loss than to have never had the opportunity (and great memories) to enjoy.

Return to Top
#93302 - 07/02/03 03:26 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
111 Offline
Gold Star
All I said was, What about Strom? Are you saying that Hackett contributed more to the general discussion of versus Strom? His whole thing was making fun of myself - being jewish, fat and short. I didn't appreciate his humor but he seemed like a nice man and was loved by his family. This is not a discussion of politics, just acknowledging those who have passed away. Adding a name is not so extraordinarily bad even if that person was in the political world.

Return to Top
#93303 - 07/02/03 06:23 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Donald O'Connor. Phenomenal dancer. Oh, and one of the dancing Nicholas brothers is still living...was just in Austin. Unbelievable dancer...Barishokov (misspelled)was even amazed by their stuff. If you have small children, rent "That's Entertainment" (TE) and they will be entertained with the dancing. I think they have also distilled a "That's Dancing" from the TE movies.

Return to Top
#93304 - 07/02/03 06:44 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

All I said was, What about Strom? Are you saying that Hackett contributed more to the general discussion of versus Strom? His whole thing was making fun of myself - being jewish, fat and short. I didn't appreciate his humor but he seemed like a nice man and was loved by his family. This is not a discussion of politics, just acknowledging those who have passed away. Adding a name is not so extraordinarily bad even if that person was in the political world.

I didn't mean that you brought up the political discussion, you clearly didn't and I apologize if that is how it was interpreted (and I can uinderstand why after reading my post), I just could envision it easily becoming one and I just did not want my original post to become a Sunday morning news program.

Return to Top
#93305 - 07/02/03 07:56 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

I just did not want my original post to become a Sunday morning news program.

Regardless of how you feel about it, these threads are kind of like our children. You can try to guide them, but ultimately they grow up and take on a life of their own that you cannot control. You must ultimately let them go regardless of what your original aspirations were for them.

Return to Top
#93306 - 07/02/03 09:29 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
111 Offline
Gold Star
MagicBanker is right CubDave - in fact - your post brought out a controling side to your generous and kind hearted personality. The internet is out of control, at least out of our control.

Return to Top
#93307 - 07/02/03 09:31 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Regardless of how you feel about it, these threads are kind of like our children. You can try to guide them, but ultimately they grow up and take on a life of their own that you cannot control. You must ultimately let them go regardless of what your original aspirations were for them.

It's just so SAD to see the little guys grow up and take on a life of their own *sniff*

Return to Top
#93308 - 07/02/03 09:44 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

MagicBanker is right CubDave - in fact - your post brought out a controling side to your generous and kind hearted personality. The internet is out of control, at least out of our control.

I just need to learn not to post when I have these rare pissed off days where everyone rubs me wrong - my staff knows to stay the %$&^ away from me on days like this, even though they are far and few between. But, 20 minutes to go in this work day, so the smoke is clearing!

Return to Top
#93309 - 07/03/03 04:09 AM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

And I just want to say that for heaven's sakes, if we're going to mourn and eulogize someone, let's try to spell their name right!!!

It's KATHARINE Hepburn. Not Katherine Hepburn.

I feel much better now.

Return to Top
#93310 - 07/03/03 12:31 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

It's KATHARINE Hepburn. Not Katherine Hepburn.

CubDave--I hope you are in a good mood, because you have just been schooled.

Return to Top
#93311 - 07/03/03 12:39 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep - today I can take it! Although, I would have preferred to know who schooled me rather than being scolded by an Anon - that way I could scrutinize every future post until I found a typo!

Return to Top
#93312 - 07/03/03 12:39 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plus, the Cubs finally woke up a bit last night which always helps the mood.

Return to Top
#93313 - 07/03/03 12:53 PM Re: 2 Sad Goodbyes This Week
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Wondering who from the Golden Age is still alive, check this site--although many of those listed (like Clint Eastwood) are not really from the Golden Age of movies:

Living Hollywood Legends

Again, not really from the golden age, but I can't believe that Frank Cady, who played Sam Drucker on the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction is still alive.
Last edited by zaibatsu; 07/03/03 12:56 PM.

Return to Top
#93314 - 07/07/03 01:04 PM Another Sad Goodbye
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Buddy Ebsen died at 95. We had just mentioned him in our living Hollywood legend list. Buddy Ebsen Remembered

Return to Top
#93315 - 07/07/03 06:48 PM Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
Anonymoose Offline
Man Who Introduced Cool Whip Dies Estel Wood 'Ed' Kelley, 86, also worked for Standard Brands, General Foods.

Return to Top
#93316 - 07/07/03 07:10 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Did I read that Barry White passed away last week as well? What a voice!

Return to Top
#93317 - 07/07/03 07:56 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Oh Lestie I hope not. Last I heard he was recovering his voice after a terrible stroke....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#93318 - 07/07/03 08:05 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
Anonymous
Unregistered

He did indeed die, sadly enough.

Return to Top
#93319 - 07/07/03 08:12 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Barry was actual born in Galveston, but grew up in LA.

P.S. CubDave Bad weekend for the Cubs? Get to see the Cards play the Braves 8/9 in STL

Return to Top
#93320 - 07/07/03 08:16 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Dawn, I think you are thinking of Luther Vandros who is recovering.

Return to Top
#93321 - 07/07/03 08:28 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Barry was actual born in Galveston, but grew up in LA.

P.S. CubDave Bad weekend for the Cubs? Get to see the Cards play the Braves 8/9 in STL

Eeven worse - Patterson is out for the year!

Return to Top
#93322 - 07/07/03 08:36 PM Re: Mmmmmm! Cool Whip
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Thank you Al. I was. It's been a busy week I'm already confused and it's just past noon on Monday!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3