BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#932603 - 03/28/08 07:03 PM teller arrested for drugs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Signed out to post anon this time.

A teller at one of our branches was arrested for possession of marijuana a week or so ago. He has not said a word about it, and we only know because of the police report in one of the weekly local papers. The county court records are available online, so based on the information there we're 99.99% sure it's our teller.

The teller is a senior in high school and this appears to be a first offense. He's been arraigned, and the case continued until May.

Based on our experience with him, we don't believe that he is a security risk and he is still employed here. We're awaiting a callback from our HR lawyer, and realize that our actions will be directed by our insurance and bonding, but aren't sure exactly what we should do right now. From what we've seen of other first-time offenses in the area, we expect that he'll likely be ordered into an education program with charges dropped upon successful completion.

Until we talk to the lawyer, we have two options in mind. First would be to confront him and fire him (we are a right-to-work state). Second would be to confront him, but basically follow the actions of the court. We would allow him to keep his job in a probationary status until the case is resolved. If he is assigned to an education program, then he would remain probationary until completion. We haven't really considered what we'd do if he is convicted -- at that point I think we'd have to fire him.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this? We really don't feel that he is a risk (although our bonding may dictate otherwise). He's a pretty smart kid, and if this is a first offense and he's smart enough to learn from it and get his act together then we don't want to just kick him out.

Thoughts, anyone?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#932619 - 03/28/08 07:11 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I can't speak from experience. I would consider either ensuring he balances daily, or move him to a non-cash handling position. I am all for second chances if he is trying and was young and stupid.

But I would mitigate the red flag. I've heard Dana Turner talk so often about drug and alcohol addictions being the root of so many bank losses.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

#932731 - 03/28/08 08:29 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Andy_Z
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I want to think we work like this: we are a drug-free workplace...we are subject to testing...if we are found to be positive, we are sent for counseling. I do believe if a person was in a sensitive position, they would be moved for their own protection as well as the FI.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#932824 - 03/28/08 10:02 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're going to have a meeting with him and our HR supervisor on Monday. We really do want to give him a chance to get straightened out, but we can't completely ignore the risk. Personally, I'm more concerned about his 'friends' who may know he works at a bank than I am about him stealing money. His usual schedule includes a couple of evenings that he is the closing teller so is here alone for an hour, so we need to resolve the security issue ASAP. Besides the obvious risk of him stealing, it's not safe for him to be there alone. In the time he's been with us, he's only been out of balance one time (and then only by a nickel). We did a surprise audit today and he was perfect.

What a mess! He seems to be a good kid and we'd actually hate to lose him. "young and stupid" is right, Andy! I think that's probably why he hasn't approached his manager about it -- thinks maybe we won't find out!

#932845 - 03/28/08 11:36 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recently I read a story in the local paper about a 19 year old employee of a bank who was the closing teller and alone at the bank for the last hour or two several evenings in the week. He was selling drugs right out of the bank, through the drive-through window. This was in a nice suburb, not an inner city/bad area. This kid was never out of balance, but he did have a prior drug arrest that his employers had known about but chose to overlook and gave him a "second chance".

So, you may want to be super careful about leaving this employee alone in your bank. Plus, you would do well to carefully investigate your insurance/bonding and whether you'd be covered with this employee!

#933483 - 04/01/08 12:32 AM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Giving people a second chance is something Nice and worth thanking for ,But Only if you work at a grocery or a supermarket not a bank ! , The situation here relates to drugs and endangering the Bank reputation and security to a wide group of different risks .

we have a proverb in Arabic that says " Never sleep ( spend your night ) between tombs (in a cemetery ) , so you don’t end up with Nightmares ".

Drugs Junkies needs to finance their addiction (The scale of financing can go up to hundreds of dollars) so it is as if you are putting the fox inside the chicken House!

Imagine this news Flash in your local newspaper or online or even on CNN that one of xyz bank branches was used to distribute drugs to the town drug addicts! And by whom? by some one who was arrested on suspicion related to drugs or you end up with thousands of dollars stolen from the bank to finance his daily habit or even his friends daily share of drugs.

I don’t know a bout the legal requirements there, but security wise speaking: suspense him from work until this Mess is cleared up and later (if decided to keep him ) make sure to remove him immediately from Cash Area and let him understand that he is under close surveillance from The bank.

When I train newly hired tellers I always tell them Frankly and wide Open : Good intentions does Not grow in banks , Banks are where the Money is , and Greed usually lurks around Money ! so always be serious when dealing with Money/cash in the bank , even if its your Brother on the Other side of the transaction.

#936176 - 04/04/08 02:45 AM Re: teller arrested for drugs Hussam Al-Abed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marijuana is not a criminal behavior-inducing drug. If anything it just makes people absent-minded or slow.

You would have good reason to fire him if he was caught with meth or coke...but if he's been a good employee so far, this shouldn't change your opinion of him.

#936355 - 04/04/08 03:06 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isn't moral relativism fun? "My vice isn't as bad as YOUR vice!" LOL

Last I checked, marijuana IS illegal, thus using it IS criminal behavior.

And what bank wouldn't want absent-minded slow employees?

#936578 - 04/04/08 05:57 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Hmmm... absent-minded, slow employees = drug use. I must have a HUGE drug problem at my bank!! And I have coke at work all the time. Although it is Diet Coke...does that count?

I agree with Hussam. The employee would never see another bill or coin for the rest of his short tenure with the bank. I like the idea of unpaid suspension until resolution of the issue. Charges = termination. I think the "lesson" to be learned here is that in business, your actions on and off the field affect your earning potential. Act like a fool and you loose your job. It's a good lesson to learn now when he is in high school. It woud be terrible for him not to learn the lesson and think that there is always another second chance for screwing up.

I taught in public school for a while...one of the many lesson our kids are not learning is that there are concequences in life. Failed a test? Let's make it up. Didn't do homework? Let's do extra credit. Caught doing drugs? Well at least it wasn't meth. Moral relativism indeed, Anon.

#936662 - 04/04/08 07:24 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Milby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Original anon here -- posting an update.

We placed him on unpaid suspension until the case goes to trial. Conviction = termination. If he's ordered into a program with charges dismissed upon completion we will consider allowing him to return to work in probationary status. He'll be under a microscope if we do that.

I agree that our society gives (and expects) second chances for everything these day, but there are times that it's worthwhile to give one. The drug dog alerted on his car, and an empty baggie was found under the passenger seat. Of course, the law is that he's responsible for anything in his car, but there's a reasonable chance that it really didn't belong to him. We'll see what happens when it goes to court and decide on our final course of action then.

Thanks for all the replies! I have to admit that I'm torn about what to do, but I think we're on the right track.

#936908 - 04/05/08 07:25 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Interesting, will you also be doing this as well for employees arrested for DUI as well going forward?

#936912 - 04/05/08 08:31 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs #Just Jay
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Why would they not? Aren't you "innocent till proven guilty"? If he if he is fount not guilty why would he still be fired wheither it is possesion or a DUI?

#937103 - 04/07/08 02:10 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Blessed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Audit gal's point is well taken, in that ANYONE could be accused; an arrest alone is not, in my opinion, a reason to fire someone.

That said, however, I don't think an employer, whether a bank or another type of business, should hold itself to the "proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt" standard used in criminal court. If it really does seem, in the employer's judgement, that it is "more likely than not" that an employee has done something that is likely to have a negative impact on his/her work, then I see nothing wrong with termination.

#937123 - 04/07/08 02:24 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Jalen Offline
Gold Star
Jalen
Somewhere on 2 wheels
Empty Baggie??? How can that be possession of marijuana? I think there must be more to the story or the prosecutor is having a slow day.

#937155 - 04/07/08 02:48 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Jalen
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Maybe my I need to clarify my comment a bit...

What I was trying to ask and suggest, is will they take this stance with all employees regardless of the crime... illegal drugs are pretty serious, but DUI's and such, especially those of an officer or LO, are sometimes seen as not as important, or even as an "intrusion" into one's life.

So my clarified question to the Anon poster is, if one of your officers or LO's are arrested for DUI or such, will you also suspend them, and then terminate them if found guilty?

My experience is most bank's would not touch a case like that with a ten foot pole.

#937400 - 04/07/08 06:47 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think some of you are blowing this issue way out of proportion. First of all, marijuana is not a 'violent' drug. I would be A LOT more concerned if it were heroin, meth, or coke (or anything else along those lines). I guess I would be curious to know how much the teller was found with? How would you handle a person that got a DWI?

I understand the concerns of the late hours at work and him having access to cash, but I think you need to look at the broader picture. What is his attendance like, does he balance, has he had any other convictions, so on and so on. Just because he was arrested for possession does not make him a criminal that would put his job or anything of the sort at risk. I would be more concerned about the employees that you have that frequent bars on a regular basis and drive drunk. I think the chances of that are much higher than the marijuana usage.

Now, if he had it at work, using it at work, or selling it from work then that would be a problem, for sure. But, it doesn't sound like that is the case.

I would just be VERY cautious on how you proceed with this. Also, keep in mind that you only found out because you read it in the paper. Think about all the employees that may have gotten into some legal trouble that didn't make it into the paper.

#937402 - 04/07/08 06:48 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think some of you are blowing this issue way out of proportion. First of all, marijuana is not a 'violent' drug. I would be A LOT more concerned if it were heroin, meth, or coke (or anything else along those lines). I guess I would be curious to know how much the teller was found with? How would you handle a person that got a DWI?

I understand the concerns of the late hours at work and him having access to cash, but I think you need to look at the broader picture. What is his attendance like, does he balance, has he had any other convictions, so on and so on. Just because he was arrested for possession does not make him a criminal that would put his job or anything of the sort at risk. I would be more concerned about the employees that you have that frequent bars on a regular basis and drive drunk. I think the chances of that are much higher than the marijuana usage.

Now, if he had it at work, using it at work, or selling it from work then that would be a problem, for sure. But, it doesn't sound like that is the case.

I would just be VERY cautious on how you proceed with this. Also, keep in mind that you only found out because you read it in the paper. Think about all the employees that may have gotten into some legal trouble that didn't make it into the paper.

#937403 - 04/07/08 06:48 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

#937405 - 04/07/08 06:49 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs #Just Jay
Anonymous
Unregistered

#937408 - 04/07/08 06:51 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry about the multiple posts....my computer was acting up!

Also, I just read that it was an empty baggie that was found....how did he get arrested for THAT? I am confused...you have to be in possession of the drug to get arrested for being in possession of a drug. Something doesn't seem quite right with this story.

#937430 - 04/07/08 07:15 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: Anon
Just because he was arrested for possession does not make him a criminal that would put his job or anything of the sort at risk.
It puts his job at risk if he works for me. Again... if you screw up, there are consequences. He screwed up. He chose to screw up. He needs to understand that choosing bad actions also means he chooses bad consequences.

As far a loan officer goes, if they work for me and they put themselves in the same position, I would absolutely fire them. No favoritism here... everyone lives by the same rules in my book.

#937467 - 04/07/08 07:50 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Milby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Milby
Just because he was arrested for possession does not make him a criminal that would put his job or anything of the sort at risk.
It puts his job at risk if he works for me. Again... if you screw up, there are consequences. He screwed up. He chose to screw up. He needs to understand that choosing bad actions also means he chooses bad consequences.

As far a loan officer goes, if they work for me and they put themselves in the same position, I would absolutely fire them. No favoritism here... everyone lives by the same rules in my book.

So, if one of your employees is caught drinking and driving and charged with DWI or DWAI (which could be a felony in some states) would you terminate them?

#937468 - 04/07/08 07:50 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Milby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Milby

So, if one of your employees is caught drinking and driving and charged with DWI or DWAI (which could be a felony in some states) would you terminate them?

#937475 - 04/07/08 07:55 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless you have a random drug testing policy/ procedure in place, I would be cautious as to how you proceed with this.

I think you would be VERY surprised at the number of people that are employed by your institution that use drugs. Very surprised. I am willing to bet a lot more people are smoking weed and blowing lines than any of you suspect.

#937913 - 04/08/08 04:05 PM Re: teller arrested for drugs Anonymous
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Yep. Senator Kennedy need not apply.
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Unless you have a random drug testing policy/ procedure in place, I would be cautious as to how you proceed with this.
It is not my job to police the employees' personal lives through random drug testing. We do have employees sign a waiver acknowledging we have the right to perform drug tests, but we rarely use this provision. However, if the employee is arrested by police and sentenced they will "reap the whirlwind."

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale