BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#934269 - 04/01/08 10:16 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you can find crosses in many areas of the south today on the side of the road, some are 3 side by side to signify Calvary, while others are placed in memorial to loved ones who perished in the spot in a car accident.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#934292 - 04/01/08 11:12 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America HappyGilmore
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Me thinks that a policy on haircuts and a policy on religion are quite different, and anyone with common sense could see why agreeing that a child should cut hair in a certain way as not to distract others is COMPLETELY different than a Highschooler not being able to show a cross and a phrase because it "infringed" oon others rights.

Return to Top
#934301 - 04/02/08 12:01 AM Re: A pretty sad day in America Blessed
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Just to remind everyone of the positions staked out during the "Mohawk" thread..

HappyGilmore:
i guess the question that comes up is who gets to determine what is "properly groomed." In this case, the answer is the school. And children should be taught that individualism has nothing to do with looks, clothes, or hairstyles, but with their demeanor and attitude.
Bottom line is schools have rules, and everyone gets to follow them, even if you don't agree with them.
but apparently they are too young to learn that there are also rules and that they must be followed...interesting concept you have.

BengalsFan:
PS: Hey, Lady! They CAN and just did tell you how you can cut his hair. Well, actually they just told you how you can't cut his hair.
And ANYTHING that disrupts the education of the kids should allow for a suspension, especially something so utterly unneccessary.
You know what, as soon as they are old enough to start experimenting on their own, then they are old enough to face the consequences of their own actions. They'll learn hey, if I wear a mohawk, I'll have a harder time finding a job.

Oh wait, he is learning about the consequences of having such a haircut. He was suspended. And it isn't as if it was unknown. His mother was warned not once, but twice before action was taken.

Ofay
This is outrageous. How do they expect us to boost our children's self-esteem and teach them that the world does indeed revolve around them if they keep trying to impose standards of behavior on them. Sheesh.
Of course not. We must bow to little Johnny's need to express himself. That is of utmost importance.
Umm, sure it is OK to question the rules and all that. But then you don't get to whine (hint, the fact that this is a news story means that they are whining) about the consequences. Get the rules changed or shut the flip up. And start looking around for good prisons for your kid. jk
*** End re-cap ***

So, apparently while schools may write policies about student appearance, they may not write policies about student artwork submitted for grades.
Last edited by AML-Barbarian; 04/02/08 12:02 AM.
Return to Top
#934330 - 04/02/08 01:25 AM Re: A pretty sad day in America Hrothgar Geiger
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Amendment 1 1/2: The right of children to wear mohawks to school shall not be infringed.

Return to Top
#934390 - 04/02/08 12:24 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Blade Scrapper
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Are you sure the "O" wasn't OUTSTANDING?????

Anymore it seems like no one respects each other. Teachers doing their jobs deserve respect. There are too many incidents where the kids are fighting with their teachers and back talking them too.
What's with the parents anymore? Schools use to be safe but I don't know anymore.

If the school art policy made specific requests regarding the art class than so be it. The kid signed it- to rip up the policy is so disrespectful.
Our world is one gigantic mess.

Return to Top
#934411 - 04/02/08 12:46 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America pjs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
"If the school art policy made specific requests regarding the art class than so be it. The kid signed it- to rip up the policy is so disrespectful.
Our world is one gigantic mess. "

I agree, however, I also believe that the school has the duty to enforce their policy equitably and fairly for all students. If what the article and student were saying are true(others students doing religious or demonic drawings) then the school is not enforcing it's own policy and should not single this student out for retribution. He should have been punished for tearing up the policy and the picture should have been graded based on its own merit (or lack thereof).

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#934451 - 04/02/08 01:26 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Hrothgar Geiger
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

So, apparently while schools may write policies about student appearance, they may not write policies about student artwork submitted for grades.

The difference here is between the right to a mohawk, not covered in the constitution, and the right to freedom of religion, directly covered in the constitution. Had the same teacher not insisted on exposing the same class to Buddhism, the issue wouldn't be as grave.

Return to Top
#934453 - 04/02/08 01:29 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
So, apparently while schools may write policies about student appearance, they may not write policies about student artwork submitted for grades

since you've already admitted you have comprehension issues, I'll spell it out. The school has a "no religion" policy which it is not enforcing fairly or across the board, which is the basis for the lawsuit.

Return to Top
#934573 - 04/02/08 02:54 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

The difference here is between the right to a mohawk, not covered in the constitution, and the right to freedom of religion, directly covered in the constitution. Had the same teacher not insisted on exposing the same class to Buddhism, the issue wouldn't be as grave.

Do you have the right to display any religious icon at work. Many employers restrict this and that is constitutional. Anyone with common sense can see that, as someone mentioned earlier.

Some have hit it on the head. If others were allowed to have demonic images, then the school failed to enforce the policy uniformly and that is the issue.

Once again, you see value in policies you agree with but no value in policies you disagree with, which is not really different than the "activist judges" you rail against. You focus on the outcome, rather than how to apply standards.

I think both the haircut and this policy are silly, but I also don't think these issues are for courts to decide.

Take it up with the school board if the school administration refuses to change; otherwise find another school, much like you suggested the mohawk kid's parents should have done.

Return to Top
#934598 - 04/02/08 03:05 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Hrothgar Geiger
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Just to remind everyone of the positions staked out during the "Mohawk" thread..

HappyGilmore:
i guess the question that comes up is who gets to determine what is "properly groomed." In this case, the answer is the school. And children should be taught that individualism has nothing to do with looks, clothes, or hairstyles, but with their demeanor and attitude.
Bottom line is schools have rules, and everyone gets to follow them, even if you don't agree with them.
but apparently they are too young to learn that there are also rules and that they must be followed...interesting concept you have.

BengalsFan:
PS: Hey, Lady! They CAN and just did tell you how you can cut his hair. Well, actually they just told you how you can't cut his hair.
And ANYTHING that disrupts the education of the kids should allow for a suspension, especially something so utterly unneccessary.
You know what, as soon as they are old enough to start experimenting on their own, then they are old enough to face the consequences of their own actions. They'll learn hey, if I wear a mohawk, I'll have a harder time finding a job.

Oh wait, he is learning about the consequences of having such a haircut. He was suspended. And it isn't as if it was unknown. His mother was warned not once, but twice before action was taken.

Ofay (Ofay is a racial slur, a slang term for a white person)
This is outrageous. How do they expect us to boost our children's self-esteem and teach them that the world does indeed revolve around them if they keep trying to impose standards of behavior on them. Sheesh.
Of course not. We must bow to little Johnny's need to express himself. That is of utmost importance.
Umm, sure it is OK to question the rules and all that. But then you don't get to whine (hint, the fact that this is a news story means that they are whining) about the consequences. Get the rules changed or shut the flip up. And start looking around for good prisons for your kid. jk
*** End re-cap ***

fixed
Last edited by Typ. White Persn; 04/02/08 03:06 PM.

Return to Top
#934599 - 04/02/08 03:05 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Straw, I'm not certain that this is really a first amendment issue, but . . . surely you can see the difference between a private employer (not subject to the First Amendment) banning religious icons and a state school (subject to the first amendment) prohibiting kids from referring to religion in their assignments.

Return to Top
#934610 - 04/02/08 03:13 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America Pale Rider
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Originally Posted By: Pale_X_Rider
Originally Posted By: Mr. Bisquick
crosses can be part of a landscape, they were pretty common two millenia ago

and the reference could have been part of the student's sig line

nevertheless, I like that policy

I actually dont beleive that they were that common... reserved for only cruel punishments...

this form of punishment was in general use from the 7th century before the common era --

Alexander the Great is reported to have had this done to 2,000 survivors of the siege of Tyre

It was the established mode of execution, even for wealthy and army generals in Carthage

It is mentioned in the Quran, even in Japan in antiquity

I stand informed and corrected...

Return to Top
#934611 - 04/02/08 03:13 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America rainman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Actually, schools and employers are treated pretty similarly in this context.

Schools are given great latitude in search and seizure issues as well, even though similar actions by other government agents would be Constitutional violations.

I disagree with the policy. I don't see why religious icons need to be banned from an art class or any class for that matter. We will start to look like France, which bans all religious icons, even cross necklaces, from schools.

Return to Top
#934639 - 04/02/08 03:36 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America B_F
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Had the same teacher not insisted on exposing the same class to Buddhism, the issue wouldn't be as grave.

I thought it was the Social Studies teacher who exposed the class to Buddhism, not the Art teacher -?

Return to Top
#934651 - 04/02/08 03:41 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: straw
Some have hit it on the head. If others were allowed to have demonic images, then the school failed to enforce the policy uniformly and that is the issue.

This is exactly the issue at hand. When the school allows a teacher to preach Buddhism and allow demonic images, but allows a teacher to disallow Christian icons, there's a constitutional issue at hand.

Return to Top
#934675 - 04/02/08 03:54 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Sort of, but for very different reasons. Private employers are subject to employment discrimination laws, but not to the first amendment. Thus employers may not discriminate against someone on the basis of religion, but they can have religious-neutral rules such as no icons of any kind (religious or otherwise) and they have no general obligation to permit someone to exercise their religion in the workplace.

Schools on the other hand are subject to the first amendment. Therefore, they cannot restrict someone from the free exercise of their religion.

Return to Top
#934682 - 04/02/08 03:58 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

This is exactly the issue at hand. When the school allows a teacher to preach Buddhism and allow demonic images, but allows a teacher to disallow Christian icons, there's a constitutional issue at hand.

Perhaps, but there is defintely a policy issue at hand.

Return to Top
#934689 - 04/02/08 04:02 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America rainman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: rainman
Quote:

Sort of, but for very different reasons. Private employers are subject to employment discrimination laws, but not to the first amendment. Thus employers may not discriminate against someone on the basis of religion, but they can have religious-neutral rules such as no icons of any kind (religious or otherwise) and they have no general obligation to permit someone to exercise their religion in the workplace.

Schools on the other hand are subject to the first amendment. Therefore, they cannot restrict someone from the free exercise of their religion.

Actually, they can have religious neutral rules just like a business place can. Thus, the policy at hand is constitutional on its face. The applciation of that policy may not been neutral, as the article alludes to.

Return to Top
#934764 - 04/02/08 05:05 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
A policy that says no religious icons is not "religious neutral" - it is anti-religion. It discriminates against any religion in favor of non-religion or atheism.

Return to Top
#934773 - 04/02/08 05:10 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America rainman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
A policy that says no religious icons is not "religious neutral" - it is anti-religion. It discriminates against any religion in favor of non-religion or atheism.

Then define a religiously neutral policy.

Return to Top
#934776 - 04/02/08 05:11 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

Allowing non-violent, non-disruptive expression of any religious faith. If it becomes violent or disruptive, it is disallowed.

Return to Top
#934786 - 04/02/08 05:27 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
And that is a good policy to adopt. I suggest you move to the school district in question and run for the local school board.

Return to Top
#934816 - 04/02/08 05:53 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman

I would "define" it as one that doesn't discriminate among religions and doesn't discriminate in favor of non-religion over religion (or vice versa).

An example would be what I already stated: No icons of any kind may be included in artwork.

(You can argue that the term "icon" automatically implies religion, but: a) this is just an example, you get what I mean, and b) an example of a non-religious "icon" would be the Boston Red Sox logo.)

Return to Top
#934820 - 04/02/08 05:56 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America rainman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

I would "define" it as one that doesn't discriminate among religions and doesn't discriminate in favor of non-religion over religion (or vice versa).

An example would be what I already stated: No icons of any kind may be included in artwork.

(You can argue that the term "icon" automatically implies religion, but: a) this is just an example, you get what I mean, and b) an example of a non-religious "icon" would be the Boston Red Sox logo.)

If the artwork had a Bosox Logo, and I was a student at this school, I'd feel highly offended and discriminated against

Return to Top
#934821 - 04/02/08 05:56 PM Re: A pretty sad day in America B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Allowing non-violent, non-disruptive expression of any religious faith. If it becomes violent or disruptive, it is disallowed.

So would a picture of Christ being crucified be considered violent and therefore restricted? if you know anything about the crucifiction process, then it would be disallowed (for those who aren't aware, briefly, the way you were crucified was done so that you would slowly suffocate as your muscles gave out. You didn't die from loss of blood or the wounds of the nails - they were often just tied with rope - but your muscles would be stretched to the pain threshold and you could no llonger support yourself. very painful death). Who determines what is violent or disruptive? The school? You? me? X? (oh, wait, he left the board)

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4