Skip to content
BOL Conferences Top Gun 23
Thread Options
#935027 - 04/02/08 07:41 PM CIP & Canadian Citizens (Snow Birds)
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 415
1st Tee
Our CIP policy requires that non-US citizens provide a passport & visa or green card, but we have some canadians that are coming down for the winter months and only have a DL from Canada. What are others doing for CIP to establish a "reasonable" belief? If they don't have passports & florida drivers licenses, maybe utility bills in their names and property information...

Return to Top
#935109 - 04/02/08 08:53 PM Re: CIP & Canadian Citizens (Snow Birds) Georgia Golfer
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,927
If your CIP policy requires a passport and Visa or green card, that is what you must have, since you must comply with your Board approved policy. You could consider amending your policy, and having the BOD approve the change, to cover this category of customer. You would have to feel comfortable with your ability to validate a Canadian DL and you should also require proof of their local address, IMO.

Return to Top
#935122 - 04/02/08 09:05 PM Re: CIP & Canadian Citizens (Snow Birds) devsfan
MidMOAuditor Offline
100 Club
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 105
Identification requirements changed in January 2008.

Effective January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older should no longer expect that they will be able to prove identity and citizenship by relying on an oral declaration alone. Instead, travelers will be asked to present documents from one of the options below when entering the United States at land or sea ports of entry. Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed below may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their identity and citizenship.

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Single Document Option

One of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship.

Acceptable Documents as of January 31:

U.S. or Canadian Passport
U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)*
Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*
State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available – this secure driver’s license will denote identity and citizenship.)*
Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*
U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
Form I-872 American Indian Card
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card

* Frequent Land Border Crossers — to expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above asterisked documents.

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Two Document Option

All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the columns below.

Identification Documents*

Driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
U.S. or Canadian military identification card

* All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth.

Citizenship Documents

U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
U.S. Citizen Identification Card
Canadian Citizenship Card
Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

Unless the DL is the enhanced DL, they need additional documentation. I would consider revising your policy to reflect the changes above.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z