Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#938255 - 04/08/08 09:31 PM Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
FinCEN recently came out with a Guidance for "Dealers, Including Certain Retailers, of Precious Metals, Precious Stones, or Jewels," on Conducting a Risk Assessment of Their Foreign Suppliers

FIN-2008-G003

We bank a customer who falls under the definition of someone who needs to conduct a Risk Assessment. As their bank, do we need a copy of their AML program?

Do we need to monitor them like an MSB? (make sure they have the four pillars ... etc ...)

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#938337 - 04/09/08 01:51 AM Re: Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment WonderWoman
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I don't plan on doing that...
We are not their regulator.

Return to Top
#938349 - 04/09/08 05:16 AM Re: Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment MagicCity
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Based on your risk assessment of a specific customer, it would not be beyond comprehension that as part of your EDD process, you obtained some evidence that they were complying with the requirements. It would be similar to the EDD steps you might take for a high risk MSB.

Page 276 of the examination manual:

"A bank’s due diligence should be commensurate with the level of risk of the NBFI customer identified through its risk assessment. If a bank’s risk assessment indicates potential for a heightened risk of money laundering or terrorist financing, it will be expected to conduct further due diligence in a manner commensurate with the heightened risk."

Return to Top
#938377 - 04/09/08 12:27 PM Re: Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment rlcarey
joser Offline
NJ
Dumb question - do scrap metal dealers fall into this group?

Return to Top
#938398 - 04/09/08 01:08 PM Re: Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment joser
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I don't believe so.
It covers precious metals.

Return to Top
#938449 - 04/09/08 02:01 PM Re: Dealers of Precious Metals etc ... Risk Assessment MagicCity
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And that does not mean dealers in metals like copper, even though there's a black market developing in copper pipes and wires that have been ripped out of buildings under construction (and some established buildings).

But if you do detect somehow that you're banking a scrap metal dealer whom you suspect of involvement in receiving stolen property, you should consider SAR filings.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z