BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#938431 - 04/09/08 01:40 PM Polygamy
comprunx3 Offline
100 Club
SouthEast
Recently a poster defended the parents actions denying a child medical treatment which resulted in the childs death. The poster claimed it was the parents right to treat the child as they saw fit. I was wondering if the series of events in Eldorado Texas appear any different to the poster or if this is viewed similarly - what the parents see as best for the Children.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#938442 - 04/09/08 01:54 PM Re: Polygamy comprunx3
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Can you provide a link of some sort? I don't know what you are referencing...

Return to Top
#938482 - 04/09/08 02:21 PM Re: Polygamy Retired DQ
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia

Return to Top
#938486 - 04/09/08 02:21 PM Re: Polygamy Retired DQ
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas

Return to Top
#938488 - 04/09/08 02:22 PM Re: Polygamy Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
he is referencing the 400+ children that have been taken from the offshoot of the Mormon Church that was started by Warren Jeffs. His group was kicked out of the Mormon Church because they practiced arranged marriages, polygamy, and marriage to minors, among other things. It has been all over the news for the past 2 weeks...

Return to Top
#938490 - 04/09/08 02:23 PM Re: Polygamy comprunx3
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: comprunx3
Recently a poster defended the parents actions denying a child medical treatment which resulted in the childs death. The poster claimed it was the parents right to treat the child as they saw fit. I was wondering if the series of events in Eldorado Texas appear any different to the poster or if this is viewed similarly - what the parents see as best for the Children.

Well for starters, that defense of the parents was in jest... you have to learn not to take everything you read here int he cooler so seriously.

Secondly, there were many events that have taken place at that compound. Please be more specific in what event or belief you would like to discuss, by your post heading, I am assuming your concern is with the practice of polygamy itself... can you narrow down our concern?

Return to Top
#938492 - 04/09/08 02:23 PM Re: Polygamy Ops
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Everything's bigger in Texas, even the families.

Seriously though, no child should be forced to marry, and no husband, whether polygamist or traditional, should be allowed to sexually assault his spouse.

Return to Top
#938510 - 04/09/08 02:34 PM Re: Polygamy B_F
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I read the links, thank you.

I think it is a shame that these children are being "forced" into wedlock, it seems just as bad as slavery.

Return to Top
#938521 - 04/09/08 02:44 PM Re: Polygamy Retired DQ
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
While I'm not opposed to polygamy or open relationships, I firmly believe such relationships are only for consenting adults. Arranged and forced marriages are slavery, and when it involves children it's beyond repulsive and warrents someone's genitals to be removed. Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#938531 - 04/09/08 02:51 PM Re: Polygamy Bacon Boy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Exactly BB, it is because they are children I find it so offensive.

Return to Top
#938537 - 04/09/08 02:54 PM Re: Polygamy Retired DQ
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
The same thing--but on a smaller scale--was happening in northern AZ. It's just sad.

Return to Top
#938545 - 04/09/08 02:57 PM Re: Polygamy Bacon Boy
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
It's sad the way they were brainwashing the children too regarding what happens in the "outside" world.

Return to Top
#938820 - 04/09/08 06:19 PM Re: Polygamy BotV#6
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
first of all.. again, who are you to say what is right?
These people have a deep seeded religious belief that what they are doing is right. They arent going to let go of it easily. Religious beliefs- all of them -are at their very essense illogical. At the end of the day it will boil down to faith, or what you believe, or what you think is right....

So i say if that is how they raise their family, as long as they believe it is right, we have no business getting involved...

And yes I am being serious

Return to Top
#938823 - 04/09/08 06:24 PM Re: Polygamy doobydoobydoo
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
The argument doesn't appear to be about polyamous relationships between consenting adults, 3D. It's about forcing marriages on women and children. No matter what way you're rolling the paper, it's still victimizing those who have no choice in the matter.

Return to Top
#938825 - 04/09/08 06:26 PM Re: Polygamy Bacon Boy
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
Guns and other weapons. What and how much do these nutcases have stashed out there on that ranch anyway? That’s what concerns me. That creates a hostile environment for those women and children. Now that the kids are out, the authorities need to go in there and look for and seize weapons now before we have another Waco

Return to Top
#938826 - 04/09/08 06:27 PM Re: Polygamy Bacon Boy
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy
The argument doesn't appear to be about polyamous relationships between consenting adults, 3D. It's about forcing marriages on women and children. No matter what way you're rolling the paper, it's still victimizing those who have no choice in the matter.

who are they to have choice anyway....

they are unable to make a decision for themselves right, that is what we say because they are not "legally" able to enter into contracts...

So these people make the decision for them and "force" them into these situations. It jsut so happens that a lot of people disagree with what they are doing, but who are we to judge them? We dont know whats right either.

All they can do is make the best decision that they know to make.

Remember, the world used to be flat.

Return to Top
#938835 - 04/09/08 06:35 PM Re: Polygamy doobydoobydoo
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDoo
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy

they are unable to make a decision for themselves right, that is what we say because they are not "legally" able to enter into contracts...

So these people make the decision for them and "force" them into these situations. It jsut so happens that a lot of people disagree with what they are doing, but who are we to judge them? We dont know whats right either.

What do you mean? Like he$$ we don't know what is right!

Return to Top
#938839 - 04/09/08 06:38 PM Re: Polygamy doobydoobydoo
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Statutory rape, polygamy, & abuse are illegal in this country. If they aren't happy with those laws, they should move.

Return to Top
#938841 - 04/09/08 06:38 PM Re: Polygamy doobydoobydoo
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
These people have a deep seeded religious belief that what they are doing is right.

I'd argue that this statement is false. I do not believe they truely have a religious belief that raping children is right. I believe they know it is not, but they use religon as a way to get the women to accept it.

Return to Top
#938846 - 04/09/08 06:40 PM Re: Polygamy pjs
bsmitty Offline
WA
WOW!! I don't even know what to say, these are innocent children, regardless of their religion. No 12 or 13 year old should ever have to enter into any type of marriage. We do know that is right!!!

Return to Top
#938852 - 04/09/08 06:42 PM Re: Polygamy Ops
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ops
Statutory rape, polygamy, & abuse are illegal in this country. If they aren't happy with those laws, they should move.

Now ops, that form of logic doesn't work!

At one time African Americans weren't people and women couldn't vote (all by law).

Also, abortion is currently legal. So that would mean, you are saying those who are pro-life should move?

Return to Top
#938853 - 04/09/08 06:42 PM Re: Polygamy bsmitty
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I've heard a few interviews over the past week with folks who used to be involved in polygamy.. men AND woman.. and they all say it's about power, money, and sex. Sounds DEEPLY religious to me.

Return to Top
#938854 - 04/09/08 06:43 PM Re: Polygamy Ops
A_G Offline
10K Club
This thread also made me think of the the difference between a religion and cult. Is the line sometimes blurred? What defines each?

Return to Top
#938855 - 04/09/08 06:44 PM Re: Polygamy A_G
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Originally Posted By: Ops

Now ops, that form of logic doesn't work!

At one time African Americans weren't people and women couldn't vote (all by law).

Also, abortion is currently legal. So that would mean, you are saying those who are pro-life should move?

It was tongue in cheek, dear AG.

Return to Top
#938856 - 04/09/08 06:45 PM Re: Polygamy doobydoobydoo
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
first of all.. again, who are you to say what is right?
These people have a deep seeded religious belief that what they are doing is right. They arent going to let go of it easily. Religious beliefs- all of them -are at their very essense illogical. At the end of the day it will boil down to faith, or what you believe, or what you think is right....

So i say if that is how they raise their family, as long as they believe it is right, we have no business getting involved...

And yes I am being serious

Same thing goes for 13-year olds that want to prostitute themselves or other 13-year olds, right, Dooby?

See, folks, you thought that my posts in that thread were silly, but this really is where moral relativism leads. Enjoy!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4