Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#940052 - 04/10/08 09:50 PM Time limit to claim fraudulent items
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
What regulation states the time limit in which a customer has to claim a fraudulent item on their account and the bank must reimburse the customer?

A customer is now claiming that they have fraudulent items on their January statement. Our "Understanding your Account" brochure states that the customer has 60 days from receiving their bank statement to file a claim for this item.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#940274 - 04/11/08 01:15 PM Re: Time limit to claim fraudulent items TTC Queen
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
bump

Return to Top
#940318 - 04/11/08 01:44 PM Re: Time limit to claim fraudulent items TTC Queen
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
What type of item is the customer disputing?

Return to Top
#940365 - 04/11/08 02:04 PM Re: Time limit to claim fraudulent items JacF
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Gene R. Elerding provided us with an excellent FREE tool in the BOL Tools page. Look at The Check Guide and search on "60" and you'll see this, which I think is what you're after.

Unauthorized Transactions. You are in the best position to discover and report any unauthorized charge to your account. If you fail to notify us within a reasonable time (not exceeding 21 days after your statement date) of an unauthorized signature, alteration, forgery, counterfeit check, or other unauthorized debit to your account, we will not be responsible for subsequent unauthorized transactions by the same wrongdoer if we act in good faith. Without regard to care or lack of care of either you or us, if you do not discover and report any such unauthorized transaction within [60 days] [six months] after your statement, transaction information or the item is made available to you, you are precluded from asserting the unauthorized transaction against us. (Note: Different notification and liability rules apply to certain electronic fund transfers. See page ___.)

The UCC cites are next to that section for more explanation.

http://www.bankersonline.com/tools/training/ucc3_4trng_ge.html
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#940449 - 04/11/08 02:54 PM Re: Time limit to claim fraudulent items Andy_Z
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks for your help Andy!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett